A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Looking @Configurator, what is the difference between "Bi-xenon headlights..."

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking @Configurator, what is the difference between "Bi-xenon headlights..."

"...with automatic self leveling" and "Automatic, dynamic headlight-range adjustment (self-adjusting while driving)," which is listed as a separate feature.

Is this another name for adaptive headlights? Or Audi-speak for something else?
Old 08-17-2008, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Definitely not adaptive "swiveling" headlights for A4 B8 per my query to AoA

"Thank you for contacting Audi of America, and congratulations on having a 2009 A4 on order.

Adaptive lighting is not a feature of this model; the headlamps are bi-Xenon and the daytime running lights LED."

Not sure what "Automatic, dynamic headlight-range adjustment (self-adjusting while driving)" is. Could be the same as auto leveling. The "swiveling" feature found in A6/A8 is called "Adaptive" and as you can see from their response and the feature list is not avail on the A4.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just as it sounds

Automatic self-leveling - compensates for the car's load to keep the headlights pointed down the road instead of up into drivers' eyes when the car's suspension is loaded.

I have been lead to believe that the 'dynamic headlights' follow the steering wheel input and swivel slightly to help project light around the curve.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here is why I think that the B8 A4 with xenon *will* have adaptive...

Because when you configure an A4 without HIDs, the "dynamic headlight-range adjustment (self-adjusting while driving)" feature disappears from the equipment list.

I confirmed the same thing when configuring a TT (which has adaptive headlights if you specify xenons). As soon as you add xenons, the "dynamic headlight-range adjustment" appears and I know my TT has adaptive headlights. I don't see anything else on the equipment list that could refer to the adaptive technology.

But there is one possible problem with my theory: I do notice that Audi calls the TT's optional headlight system "Xenon Plus" (and the "Plus" might refer to the adaptive capability?).
Old 08-17-2008, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default adaptive should at least be an option...

for the S-line trim like in the UK.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Er, not exactly. . .

Self leveling: the headlights are automatically adjusted to compensate for, let's say, a trunk full of stuff and back seat passengers. The headlights are leveled to aim correctly "as if" the car is level (prevents, for example, the beams projecting to the sky when there is a load on the rear end.)

Dynamic headlights: as the car's speed increases, it becomes possilbe to "over drive" your headlights. That is, you "catch up" to the limit of the lights light throw faster than is ideal. A compensation: at "X" speed (say, 75mph or more) raise, slightly, the angle of the beam -- sort of a semi-high beam. One has to imagine this is pretty inexpensive to add to a car that already has self-leveling.

Adaptive headlights: NOTE, in a step backwards, the new A4 even in Prestige trim with all option boxes ticked does NOT have this (at least in North America.) These are the greatest thing since sliced toast and these are indeed the headlights that swivel. As the steering wheel is turned the headlights track the intended trajectory of the car. The lights aim where you are looking and where you are going. I would pay extra to have this now that I have had them on three German vehicles: 2 Bimmers ('05 & '08) and 1 Audi ('05.)

IMHO: this is a "cheapening" of the car. Whatever the cost of this additional feature, I cannot imagine too many folks would not pay for this if offered the chance to check it off on an option list.

At nearly $50K for a 4cylinder A4 this is really chintzy (and I don't expect it for FREE, I do, however, expect it; and I also expect to be able to PAY FOR rear heated seats and front parktronic for crissakes.)

There, I feel better now.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed... the car stickering above $50K means the cost saving has effectively failed.

A reduction in choices is acceptable to a certain point, but at $50K the lack of availability of certain desirable options is a little irritating. For this much money you should be able to get exactly what you want.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But the "product content saving" strategy has succeeded! Much of this is inexcusable in a 50k car.

I know 50k isn't want it used to be (compared to just 5 years ago even), but come on. I'd like the ability to equip a 50k car with:

- automatic folding mirrors
- adaptive bi-xenons
- rear heated seats
- rear sun shade
- cargo dividers (Avant)
- front parking sensors

Instead I'm asked to pay $2500 for an antiquated navigation system. And now I read on the UK forums that the 3-zone climate control system is actually more of a 2.5-zone system that has limited adjustability in back (you want full hot, or full cold?).
Old 08-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Elder Member

Default Hmm, that's kinda chintzy if true.

No adaptive headlights, non-dual exhaust for 2.0T...I guess I'm glad our B7 has these things. These seem to be backward steps, IMHO.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I could care less about the exhaust as there's no impact to functionality whatsoever.

The back stepping on previously included features like the adaptive headlights and the heated rear seats is irritating. And as Mark said that you can't even get these items (which are a matter of swapping existing assemblies already sold in other markets) is not customer friendly.

I can understand not offering configuration options which include a massive overhead, such as different drivelines requiring federalization and the like, but given the pull demand nature of the factory these individual options should be available for ordered cars and they have no bearing on overhead costs.

Quick Reply: Looking @Configurator, what is the difference between "Bi-xenon headlights..."