A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Low Coolant, Low Oil, Engine Light, Engine Fail

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I

used engine to be installed.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Caelismadison
I

used engine to be installed.
I still need to talk to the service manager.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As I said there would be no warranty on the engine if a customer wanted to put in a used motor. The only thing that we would cover would be the install. Which is a moot point at best.
Mans are you asking me to tell you where I work @jagtoes ?
I don't care where you work as I am in NY and have no need to be concerned on who you are or where you work. I have never seen a dealer take the liability of installing a used motor with no history . If it ran bad or had a problem the dealers reputation is at stake along with Audi . An independent shop will tell you that they will not warranty anything . What does 12/12000 mean if it doesn't cover the engine .
Old 05-20-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The dealers reputation is not at stake if it’s made clear to the customer that we don’t recommend installing a used engine. But that’s the only option for some people. Also most insurance companies will only install used engines.

I cant understand why you seem so upset or frustrated about me simply stating that dealers will install used motors.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The dealers reputation is not at stake if it’s made clear to the customer that we don’t recommend installing a used engine. But that’s the only option for some people. Also most insurance companies will only install used engines.

I cant understand why you seem so upset or frustrated about me simply stating that dealers will install used motors.
Checked yesterday with an Audi dealer service guy . Their position is they will rebuild or replace an engine with either a factory rebuilt long or short block. They will not install a used non certified engine due to liabilities and reputation impact if the used engine is damaged . They were surprised that some other dealer might do this but it is not their standard practice. Used engines run between $2000 to $4000 depending on year and condition. You buy it , you own it regardless of whether it starts or runs correctly. I wish the OP good luck
Old 05-22-2019, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Checked yesterday with an Audi dealer service guy . Their position is they will rebuild or replace an engine with either a factory rebuilt long or short block. They will not install a used non certified engine due to liabilities and reputation impact if the used engine is damaged . They were surprised that some other dealer might do this but it is not their standard practice. Used engines run between $2000 to $4000 depending on year and condition. You buy it , you own it regardless of whether it starts or runs correctly. I wish the OP good luck

That’s very interesting. I wonder what they do with insurance jobs though. I’ve never worked with a dealership like that
Old 05-22-2019, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That’s very interesting. I wonder what they do with insurance jobs though. I’ve never worked with a dealership like that
I today's world of lawyers and law suits it's pretty logical to not want to put a business in jeopardy . Someone comes in and wants a dealer/independent to install a used engine. This puts the responsibility of obtaining and installing the engine . That being the case they are now on the hook for getting the job done and done correctly. If the car owner takes the car and drives it down the road and it blows up or if in a few days/weeks it leaks or smokes who do you think the owner will go after. Even if he signed a dealer document he still will get his lawyer busy unless the installer agrees to replace the engine. As far as the insurance company only paying for a used engine that is between the owner and the insurance company. Who he gets or who buys and installs the engine is the owners responsibility.