A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Lumbar support problem after seat swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lumbar support problem after seat swap

Hi guys, new member here. Sorry for posting a new thread but I couldn't find any specific info about my problem.

Today I swapped my regular heated seats with S-lines also heated but also with lumbar support which I didn't have before. Now the heating is working fine on the new seats but I can't get the lumbar support working.

I know people are buying this retrofit cable from Kufatec but the new seats don't have such socket.

Below are the connectors of the new seats, they are excatly the same as my old ones (except the yellow for the airbag but I soldered it).

Old 10-06-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Year? Did you have power seats? The "regular" seats in ROW are manual, not power. You can have power lumbar with a manual seat. You can have seat heating (the green plug) with a manual seat. But power on the green for the seat heating will not power the lumbar.

3-pin yellow, airbag
6-pin green, seat heating/ventilation
10-pin red, seat adjustment (12v on 4 [from fuse panel C, row 3, fuse 3 10A], ground on 5, CAN bus if memory seats on 6 and 7, footwell light on 2 and 3)
10-pin black, seat belt latch and related, not relevant to this issue

You say "s-line seats", which is not specific. Do you mean sport seats or super sport seats (the ones without separate headrests)? If just sport, are they manual or power?

The lumbar function is not tied to the J136 memory seat control module, so whether or not you have memory function should not come into play. The lumbar switch is wired to the power and ground on pins 4 and 5, and then it controls the lumbar motors directly. So the lumbar position is not part of the memory system, interesting. More so, there's no coding possible. So long as there's 12v on 4 and ground on 5 (the rest of the power seat, if it's a power seat, is working?), the lumbar should work if its not broken.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The car is 2008, seats were manual, heated only, without lumbar support, new seats are also manual, heated with lumbar support but are from a 2014 B8.5.

The new seats:

Old seats:
Old 10-07-2019, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here are my old connectors, they were the same as the new ones and everything fitted. Is it possible the car does not have power and ground for pins 4 and 5 in the red socket itself?

Old 10-07-2019, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

manual seats without lumbar, there's no reason for there to be any power on the red plug, so the lumbar in the new seats would be unpowered.
But you have the plug there, are there wires in positions 4 and 5? Do you measure 12v from 4 to 5? Is there a fuse in fuse panel C (left end of dash), row 3, fuse 3?
Old 10-07-2019, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SMac770
manual seats without lumbar, there's no reason for there to be any power on the red plug, so the lumbar in the new seats would be unpowered.
But you have the plug there, are there wires in positions 4 and 5? Do you measure 12v from 4 to 5? Is there a fuse in fuse panel C (left end of dash), row 3, fuse 3?
I forgot to check if there are wires and didn't measure anything as I was in a hurry to install the seats because it was about to rain.

As I know there's a fuse on both sides for each side, so I tried putting one in place just on the driver's side to check if it's gonna work - it didn't. I'll l try adding fuses on both sides and if it doesn't work I'll unbolt the seats to check the socket for wires. If it doesn't have wires on 4 and 5 is it possible to run them through the original socket on the car?
Old 10-07-2019, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There's no fuse for the seats on the right end of the dash. The fuse 3 in row 3 (rearward row) on the left end of the dash (panel C) is the 10A fuse that feeds the wire 4 on the black plug for both front seats (in the case of manual seats with power lumbar; for power seats, there's no fuse, red plug pin 4 is powered from circuit breakers).
So is 12v present on that fuse 3 in row 3 (put a 10A in there and test the fuse to ground somewhere on the car for 12v; you should see two metal test points in the top of the fuse you can touch the red multimeter probe to). If there's no power to the fuse position, you'll need to remedy that, as well as running wires from the fuse to the red plug.

If we look at an ETKA clone for a B8.0 A4 interior wiring harness, https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4.../9/971-971082/ and search for seat, we find "coupling element wiring harness for electrically adjustable seat" as 4F0937743B. It mentions it's 10-position red, as we are expecting. And the pic matches. Our 10 pin black plug is #30, same part number but without the B.

So now what are the part numbers for the pins that go in the plug? ETKA and VAG fail us in that regard. But we can use an alternative resource to determine. https://www.autoelektrik24.de/Steckv...und-5-462.html
Looks similar and is the same root part number, just a different prefix (1J0 vs 4F0). No other 10 pin plug no the site seems to be a better match. On the "Beschreibung" tab, we see the part numbers for the plug and pins. They will start with an N in Audi parts numbering, so N 1031 8901 and N 1033 6101. Position 4 and 5 are almost certainly going to be the larger pins, but you'd have to inspect the plug to confirm.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/AMP-JPT-MCP-...-/161664943344
It appears N 1031 8901 is the larger 2.8mm blade terminal, so N 1033 6101 would be the smaller 1.6mm blade terminal.

https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/prod...00979134E.html
(notice N 1031 8901 is in the superseded listing)
Looks like VAG sells the pins already connected to wiring, so that might be easier to deal with. Just use barrel connectors to extend the wire if necessary.

Per the wiring diagram, the wires from the fuse to the plug and from the plug to the ground will be 1.0 mm^2, or 17 awg.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello Icak,

I'm gonna buy the exact same setup i the weekend, did you make it work ?

BR
Frederik
Old 03-08-2021, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi I recently switched the manual seats in my b9 ultra sport to s line seats (manual with electric lumbar) and am wondering if it would be difficult to wire them up to get them to work. I know there is a space In the fuse box for the fuse. Would it be as simple as running a wire to said fuse or is there other things I need to do?
any input would be much appreciated. Cheers Danny
Old 03-26-2023, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For those asking, I'm doing this job and have planned the job out.

As said in this post, so long as the seat gets power and ground on said pins, the lumber control pad will work. It isn't like other seat functions that require coding etc. Kauftec sell a cable for this task, essentially it's just three core connector cable between back of HVAC control unit and the seats, and consists of three wires with terminal pins / spades at all ends. You can make such a cable up for about £5 but kauftec want around £50. Joke. or you could run wires from a spare fuse direct to the seat. It doesn't have to come from HVAC control , that's just the way VAG configured the loom.

Quick Reply: Lumbar support problem after seat swap