A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

LV: EPB?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LV: EPB?

Hello, why my ebrake does this when i pull it, it works and beeps for error handbrake malfunction, when i try to release, only one motor works and right side holds. i have to turn off engine, and then start up again and it releases both. so its not motor problem.
VCDS shows this - 02435 supply voltage for control module for right channel 009 open or short to ground. today checked motor connectors and its good.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Post the complete log section for the EPB.

The J540 has three fuses feeding it. One for the electronics, and then one for each EPB motor. There are two ground lines, but they splice together on the way to the ground post. The two fuses for the motors are in the right rear, fuse 7 in column "B" and fuse 7 in column "C". Not sure which is "left" and which is "right". I'd probably start by putting a meter on each fuse and check the voltage present as someone activates and releases the EPB. See if the voltage is stable and present. Also, are you seeing these complications engine running or only engine off?

The error is talking about the voltage coming to the control module for the motors, not about the delivery of voltage to the motors, if the wording can be taken at face value.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Post the complete log section for the EPB.

The J540 has three fuses feeding it. One for the electronics, and then one for each EPB motor. There are two ground lines, but they splice together on the way to the ground post. The two fuses for the motors are in the right rear, fuse 7 in column "B" and fuse 7 in column "C". Not sure which is "left" and which is "right". I'd probably start by putting a meter on each fuse and check the voltage present as someone activates and releases the EPB. See if the voltage is stable and present. Also, are you seeing these complications engine running or only engine off?

The error is talking about the voltage coming to the control module for the motors, not about the delivery of voltage to the motors, if the wording can be taken at face value.

You mean this? I have one fault in epb only. So basically i can pull handbrake, but i can release both sides only when car is in 2. Position..( engine not running but dashboard and everything works) when car is running only left side releases.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Only fault frequency one, but I guess you're resetting it every time it occurs. Error is straight forward. If there's not an actual measured fluctuation of voltage on the two fuses/lines to the J540, it's probably a fault internal to the control module. Those are the large colored wires on pins 13 and 15; already pointed out the fuse positions.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Only fault frequency one, but I guess you're resetting it every time it occurs. Error is straight forward. If there's not an actual measured fluctuation of voltage on the two fuses/lines to the J540, it's probably a fault internal to the control module. Those are the large colored wires on pins 13 and 15; already pointed out the fuse positions.

So i washed car , and went to check that side to make sure its not water that caused this all mess. So there it is, sunroof again leaking... i recently checked rear drains and they are clear water was running trough. What can cause this? Again whole frame? Its rear right side. There is little bit stains in headliner in middle rear where sunroof ends.

Last edited by Ueno; 03-02-2023 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sunroof or a poor seal between the body and a door/lid. Poor seal on the tail light might get water on the fuses/relays, but don't see it going that forward. Maybe the fuel filler neck cover? Not the outer lid, but the inner wall. There is a drain hole there, has to be, like the sunroof drains. Wonder if the drain hose is not attached? But could be the sunroof drain line, not just unclogged, but is the seal to the port on the sunroof frame good. Something. Might unplug and replug the connector on the EPB module to see if maybe the moisture had created some corrosion between the pins.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sunroof or a poor seal between the body and a door/lid. Poor seal on the tail light might get water on the fuses/relays, but don't see it going that forward. Maybe the fuel filler neck cover? Not the outer lid, but the inner wall. There is a drain hole there, has to be, like the sunroof drains. Wonder if the drain hose is not attached? But could be the sunroof drain line, not just unclogged, but is the seal to the port on the sunroof frame good. Something. Might unplug and replug the connector on the EPB module to see if maybe the moisture had created some corrosion between the pins.
it was drain connection to frame. fixed it with special glue. Epb module connections was dry, ill probably go to dealer to check it out.
and offtopic question, my electric boot wont lift itself, motor clicks and goes only little bit and stops. Fuses are good. What could be problem. I found that similar problem had screw missing. But i didnt saw any missing screws. Do i need to dismount to see?
Old 03-04-2023, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No idea. Sounds like a physical manner of issue, so physically inspecting the situation to see what's happening would be required.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

and one last question how to find rear fog fuse in diagram. i researched many diagrams and there is no thing like ''fog lights'' or ''rear fog lights'' a while ago mine both rear fog bulbs went out at same time. bulbs are good, and connections are clear there. when i press rear fog button it just dissapears and message in dashboard pops that rear left and right bulbs are faulty
Old 03-05-2023, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There are no fuses for individual headlight or taillight bulbs. The headlights are run by the J519 BCM; the taillights are run by the J393 BCM2. They have fused power lines for the left and right lights. So if any lights are working on a particular corner, that fuse is working. What's the specific DTC text from the J393? Disconnect and reconnect the two 17-pin plugs on the J393 (in your picture above) to see if they just needed to be reseated. The J393 can just apply voltage to the output wires, either the correct current flow is noted, or not. If not, error. Are these incandescent or LED tails, and B8.0 or B8.5? I'm assuming non-US wagon.

Quick Reply: LV: EPB?