A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Newbie looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for feedback

Hello AudiWorld, thanks for having me. I'm new to the Audi and the german scene. In the past I have been driving mostly Japanese, but I'm looking into a few German options for my next [used] car. So far, I've tested out a 2011 MB C-Class (Sport) and was impressed with the handling, features. Cabin and [rear] legroom felt a bit tight (and I'm under 6').

My other option is a 11'-12' A4 (preferably S-Line). I havent taken one out for a drive yet, but would welcome any honest feedback from current owners. I'm a family man so I'm not looking to mod the hell out of my next car but would like to have a nice out-of-the-box sporty ride.

Also had a few newbie questions...

1. Is there a notciable difference in handling between the S-Line and standard A4?

2. Can you get an 11'-12' S-Line with a Titanium Package?

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as the responses come in...TIA!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DirtMcgirt74
Hello AudiWorld, thanks for having me. I'm new to the Audi and the german scene. In the past I have been driving mostly Japanese, but I'm looking into a few German options for my next [used] car. So far, I've tested out a 2011 MB C-Class (Sport) and was impressed with the handling, features. Cabin and [rear] legroom felt a bit tight (and I'm under 6').

My other option is a 11'-12' A4 (preferably S-Line). I havent taken one out for a drive yet, but would welcome any honest feedback from current owners. I'm a family man so I'm not looking to mod the hell out of my next car but would like to have a nice out-of-the-box sporty ride.

1. Is there a notciable difference in handling between the S-Line and standard A4?

2. Can you get an 11'-12' S-Line with a Titanium Package?

1) I did test drive the standard suspension before I got my sport package, but I could not tell if the handling difference was noticeable since my test drive wasn't long enough and my car arrived 2 months later. Anyway, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a sport package because the standard suspension sits too high for me (gaps between wheels and fenders) and the sport seats, steering wheel and shift **** are better looking and more comfortable.

2) That's a a tough question to answer since Audi changes the packages every year. For 2011 Premium plus had two sport packages - 18" and 19"(titanium). The S-line was an option on the Prestige package although I'm not sure with which wheels, but it did come with the sport suspension plus a black headliner and alcantara inserts in the seats. The P+ sport packages had the regular headliner and no alcantara. The Prestige package jacks up the cost significantly. I believe the Premium trim also had a sport package option, maybe the 18", but it did not have the LED lights.

For 2012 the LED lights could be had with the Premium trim as an option, but I'm not sure if it could go with any sport packages.
The Premium plus trim included the exterior S-line package, i.e. just the bumpers and the side blades, but no sport suspension/seats/steering wheel/**** know. That can be very misleading compared to the 2011 Prestige. If I remember well, the 19" sport packaged with titanium wheels was originally announced for one of the trims for 2012, but I'm not sure if they followed through on that promise.

For a person that is not familiar with the details and the ride height, the easiest way to tell if a 2009-2012 car has the sport suspension is if it has a 3-spoke steering wheel instead of a 4-spoke, unless someone has changed it, of course, but that's an expensive mod people rarely do.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DirtMcgirt74

Welcome.

The cars with the Sport Package or S-line option do tend to have a harsher ride than the standard cars. This is due in part to most also having 19" rims with 35 series tires. Not much sidewall there to absorb road shocks. Probably why Audi have gone with 18" rims now for the cars, and have 19" rims as options...on some models.

Yes...when pushed...the cars with the sportier suspensions do handle better.

It is not objectionalbe, if you like good handling cars, but it is different. Many of us here prefer that, so you will hear most people telling you to go with the Sport Package/S-line car if you have the choice.

You also get Sport Seats with these options, and those are also much nicer than the OEM seats. Spent time in both, and much prefer the Sport Seats.

Good luck on whatever you get...you will not be disappointed.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the replies. In looking through the used car listings, I'm seeing S-Line A4's out there but very few A4s with the titanium package. Is this a limited production package? Ideally, I'd love to land on a white A4 with the tit. pkg.