A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

No Ethenol - 32.7MPG on Hwy in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Ethenol - 32.7MPG on Hwy in Toronto

I visited Toronto in Thanksgivings holiday.

Filled in a tank of Shell V-Power super with NO ETHENOL.

Driven it avg 75MPH on Toronto Hwy and it yield 32.7MPG instead of 29MPG Spec rating.

Gas is expensive up there, $5.33 per Gal on this V-Power super.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Canadians are smarter. They realize that fossil fuels yield better mileage, and they know not to burn the food in engines. There is adequate fossil fuel for now and in the future but special interest groups have pressured politicians to use corn for fuel instead of feeding people and animals with it.

As long as the sun shines plants will be the source for fossil fuels. It is a continuous process, and humans will never be able to use it faster than it is created. The Earth replenishes what we take in fairly quick order. In the 1970's the oil reserves were calculated for the North slope of Alaska. After 40 years of extraction the reserves were again measured. There is more oil now than before.

All over Souther California oil fields that were abandoned as depleated a quarter century ago are now producing again because the Earth refilled the empty spaces in the rock with new oil.

The shortages of oil and preditory pricing is a political problem, not one of a scarce resource supply. I have no answer for the former because my country chose to re-elect the problem instead of a solution.

Last edited by Moviela; 12-03-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 597 Likes on 429 Posts

It's only Shell V-Power that doesn't contain ethanol. All other gas sold in Canada contains up to 10% ethanol.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:16 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
It's only Shell V-Power that doesn't contain ethanol. All other gas sold in Canada contains up to 10% ethanol.
It's mandated at 5% but the Oil companies are adding more. I read earlier this year that it was likely about 6.5%. I have also read that Chevron and Esso premium are ethanol free. This may have changed and may vary by Province.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

In the US, a 15% ethanol blend is now being offered due to the efforts of the agricultural lobby, prompting AAA to ask the government to stop sales of this new blend.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 597 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by jfo
It's mandated at 5% but the Oil companies are adding more. I read earlier this year that it was likely about 6.5%. I have also read that Chevron and Esso premium are ethanol free. This may have changed and may vary by Province.
All the Esso stations I go to in Ontario say that the gas may contain up to 10% ethanol.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Moviela

As long as the sun shines plants will be the source for fossil fuels. It is a continuous process, and humans will never be able to use it faster than it is created. The Earth replenishes what we take in fairly quick order. In the 1970's the oil reserves were calculated for the North slope of Alaska. After 40 years of extraction the reserves were again measured. There is more oil now than before.

All over Souther California oil fields that were abandoned as depleated a quarter century ago are now producimg again because the Earth refilled the empty spaces in the rock with new oil.
It's absolutely false that it takes 25 years for biomass to transform into oil (more like some millions years). Now we can drill deeper and extract oil more efficiently so "reserves" are going up. By "reserves" they typically mean the amount of oil that can be profitably extracted at the current crude price. As we saw with Deepwater Horizon explosion the final cost may be a lot higher than just what you see in dollars per barrel prices.

I have no comment on using food supply to produce fuel but there is no reason to spread false statements about oil production.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dk1
It's absolutely false that it takes 25 years for biomass to transform into oil (more like some millions years)......there is no reason to spread false statements about oil production.
The plankton living today will not be transformed into crude oil very fast, however, the process has been underway for more than 3 billion years. I never said the conversion takes place in a quarter century, I said the spaces in the rock called pools by some have replenished in that time period with crude oil. So much oil exists in the Earth's crust that we will never consume all of it. The natural process that created it continues today.

So called disasters like the Exxon Valdez, Deepwater Horizon, and the destruction of Kuwait are meerly an asterisk on the balance sheet of energy production in the world.

The distribution of energy controlled by cartels and speculators results in false shortages to manipulate the price. It costs $4 to $6 per barrel to extract the oil and it is sold about $89 today...

Not even Apple takes so much for so little.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have also noted that using Shell V Power my MPG is up about 2 mpg. My 2009 A4 3.2 get way better mileage using Shell V Power. I am lucky we just got a local Shell station
Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There ya go! Oil = renewable energy

Quick Reply: No Ethenol - 32.7MPG on Hwy in Toronto