A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

No power after timing chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power after timing chain replacement

hello all
I just did a timing chain replacement and got the car all out back together but now it has a multiple cylinder miss and no low end power. When replacing the timing chain I had to also have the head redone so I had the camshafts all the way out. I did not have the spacers to put the vvt lobes in the correct spot. (I figured the car would make them go where they needed once it was running) I have manually moved the lobes to different spots thinking that they were stuck in the wrong lobe but it still has a multiple cylinder miss and very low power. It seems to run ok at higher rpm. (Over 3000 ish)
does anyone know if the ecm will move the lobes to the correct spot? Or am I overlooking something else? It has new coil packs. Will throw a multiple cylinder or single cylinder misfire codes when idling but not when reved up past 2000-3000. But only misfire codes. Thanks for your help
Old 08-20-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

You should list the year, model, and engine/transmission you have along with the codes you are getting. Were you using a manual or DIY post to do this work? When someone says they didn't have the right tool and figured it would fix itself when it started up it doesn't give a lot of confidence in the quality of the work.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry I was trying to get an accurate description of the problem and forgot the vehicle specifics. 2009 a4 Quattro 2.0t automatic trans. Using all data mostly. Upon further investigation and reading I have come to the conclusion that I will be looking at the variable timing on the intake cam as I believe it is not working. The exhaust cam has the variable lift by sliding to a different set of Lobes and that appears to be working properly. I do not have the exact code numbers in front of me but when idling it is either cylinder 1 misfire or a random/multiple cylinder misfire code.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default advice needed on problem

Originally Posted by Caleb24
Sorry I was trying to get an accurate description of the problem and forgot the vehicle specifics. 2009 a4 Quattro 2.0t automatic trans. Using all data mostly. Upon further investigation and reading I have come to the conclusion that I will be looking at the variable timing on the intake cam as I believe it is not working. The exhaust cam has the variable lift by sliding to a different set of Lobes and that appears to be working properly. I do not have the exact code numbers in front of me but when idling it is either cylinder 1 misfire or a random/multiple cylinder misfire code.
Hi did you ever get to the bottom of what was causing this issue? I have just done a top end rebuild and also getting random multiple miss-fires and bad idle, the car seems smooth after 3000 rpm also. I realise this is an old thread, just needing some ideas really.