A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

noise when braking - left side

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise when braking - left side

Hi all,
I havent been logged in for ages but I would welcome any input on the following issue I am having with the car. Is an 2.0 TQ, 2009 model, roughly 60k miles.
Front rotors/pads are less than 1 year old, very light use of the car overall and front left bearing has been changed in the past 3 years. Car has been doing (its quite noticeable recently) a very light cyclic noise (almost like a gentle rubbing of some sort) when applying the brakes and I can detect it on the left side. I thought its rotor related but never ever had this issue before and there seems to be no issue with the braking performance or otherwise.
As soon as I apply the brakes, there is this noise, that follows the rotation of the wheel basically and it has to be either brake system (caliper support?) or even suspension related. Tough to describe.. sounds like a mild rubbing repetitive noise. I am also thinking that it could be coming from a suspension part as it absorbs and releases strain from the braking as the car is slowing down.

A hint - when i wash the car and drive it for a couple of miles the noise is gone only to return shortly after. Would think of brake dust deposits on the rotor but something tells me its something else.
When slowing down to a halt, a can feel very slight vibration from the left side when the noise is produced almost like uneven braking. Can a bad control arm, joints or tie rod produce that kind of effect under braking?

Not sure what to think of it. Any ideas? I will have the dealer check it as well but would rather do my homework before.

Many thanks in advance,
Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

One edit:

Its not wheel or tire related, as it has been making the same noise with rotated wheels and with the winter tires too...
Old 06-11-2019, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Sticky caliper pin, if your brakes only have pistons on one side. Remove, clean and lube pins if so.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks - i will look into it.