A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Not happy with accelerator pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not happy with accelerator pedal feel

The reaction of the gas pedal in my car is very inconsistant. Sometimes it is very smooth and easy to accelerate and sometimes it is very jerky. I mean, I step on the pedal and for a moment nothing happens and then it take off like a jack rabbit. My wife thinks I'm nuts with the way it reacts. Anyone else have this problem? I did a search but came up with nothing. Thanks,

Last edited by gkgeiger; 01-15-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gkgeiger
The reaction of the gas pedal in my car is very inconsistant. Sometimes it is very smooth and easy to accelerate and sometimes it is very jerky. I mean, I step on th pedal and for a moment nothing happens and then it take off like a jack rabbit.
I recognise that behaviour even though I have a 3.2. I also have ADS and after I started to use the "Dynamic" setting for the Engine it hasn't been a problem. (I also learned from the net how to have it start up in Individual mode so I normally have Steering and Dampers set to "Auto".)

I had the service guys to check if there was an ECU update available, but there wasn't. Anyway I'm happy with the Dynamic mode but if you don't have ADS, you should have it checked for problems or updates.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've noticed a similar lag while driving in D. Much more smooth and consistent while in the S mode.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ledznvrdead
I've noticed a similar lag while driving in D. Much more smooth and consistent while in the S mode.
Same here.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Gene, first day I got my car, I noticed this. My description is that there is a delay between throttle input from the pedal and the controller that opens the throttle. This makes you push harder on the throttle thinking that nothing is going on, making the throttle open way too much for what the driver intends for.

I plan to have the dealer look into this when I go for the 5k service, if I don't take it in before that time. This is really unacceptable. While the delay is .5 seconds or maybe a little more, it is enough in emergency or fast reaction situations to cause the heart rate to rise in some situations!

Audi may tell you and I that nothing is able to be done about this delay, but this is clearly a safety issue, and is not accurate driver input to the throttle,

Interesting note, I find this such an oxymoron (is this correct term?) where Audi gets so carried away with millisecond gear movements in a DSG gearbox, yet the delay is substantial from the driver's action to mechanical action - of both foot to throttle and finger to gear movement!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is the reason I got rid of the car after 5000 miles, and I special ordered it! Audi lost me as a customer forever. Biggest waste of money. Once the car got going it was a blast but this was a deal breaker for me. Audi sux.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by steveracer
Gene, first day I got my car, I noticed this. My description is that there is a delay between throttle input from the pedal and the controller that opens the throttle. This makes you push harder on the throttle thinking that nothing is going on, making the throttle open way too much for what the driver intends for.

I plan to have the dealer look into this when I go for the 5k service, if I don't take it in before that time. This is really unacceptable. While the delay is .5 seconds or maybe a little more, it is enough in emergency or fast reaction situations to cause the heart rate to rise in some situations!

Audi may tell you and I that nothing is able to be done about this delay, but this is clearly a safety issue, and is not accurate driver input to the throttle,

Interesting note, I find this such an oxymoron (is this correct term?) where Audi gets so carried away with millisecond gear movements in a DSG gearbox, yet the delay is substantial from the driver's action to mechanical action - of both foot to throttle and finger to gear movement!
I agree 100%. I chalked it up to the 'New' 8 speed transmission and thought I just wasn't used to it. I have driven lots of different cars and none behaved like this with the pedal press to reaction delay. My '08 doesn't behave like this and when I tell people I miss it (husband drives it now), they ask why. I say I just do and never really had a good answer, but maybe this is the reason and I just never realized it

I have driven things from go carts to a big yellow school buses (yes, I was a school bus driver ), so I am used to adapting to the oddness of all vehicles little quirks if you will, but this really is unacceptable for such a refined car to behave like this.......
Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This has been a persistent complaint for the 4-cyl turbo and tip combo for many years now.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is this not turbo lag?

My Eurocode high-flow intercooler pipe helped improve response a bit.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goshjup
This is the reason I got rid of the car after 5000 miles, and I special ordered it! Audi lost me as a customer forever. Biggest waste of money. Once the car got going it was a blast but this was a deal breaker for me. Audi sux.
I hate to break it to you, but damn near every car on the planet has an electronic throttle now and they all delay inputs to increase fuel economy. Rather than selling the car you could have installed a Sprint Booster or had the car chipped by one of the companies that also does throttle remapping.

For all the current owners, this behavior can be programmed out. FWIW, my 08 GTI did this exact same thing. You'll get used to it.

Quick Reply: Not happy with accelerator pedal feel