A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Paint durability and touchup recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of touchups, anyone have the Audi p/n for the Aruba Blue touchup paint pen?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Li7
AudiWorld Member

I happen to have a rear door edge chip, probably someone who opened the door and hit something. Can i use the paint/procedure below to fix the chip? or is there a better way to correct door edge chipping?

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
Some idiot ran his front license plate screws into my back bumper. I bought my touchup paint here...

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/cho...=49&search.y=7

The color match is great. I even have meteor gray which is slightly pearlescent and I can't tell a difference.

Here are the steps I took to repair my paint damage.

1) Wash the area

2) Using a fine tipped paintbrush (you can try a toothpick also if you don't want to buy a brush), apply a small amount of paint just enough to cover the damage.

3) Wait 5 minutes to let the paint dry then add another coat. Keep doing this until your paint chip is completely filled in and slightly over filled.

4) Take 1500+ grit sand paper (the higher the better) doused in water to keep friction low and sand down the overfill to make the touch up paint as flush as you can with the surface. Be sure to keep the sand paper localized on the touch up paint or you're going to sand off your clearcoat on the "good" parts of your paint.

Note: If you want to use clearcoat to top the chip off, instead of using paint to overfill the chip, use clearcoat on the last 3 layers or so.

5) Let the paint dry for several hours, maybe even wait until the next day and wax/polish the area.

And you're done.

I'm pretty happy with my results. The chips are as flush as I could possibly get it, although I think I sanded a little bit out of my limits and dulled the clearcoat around the chip. Be careful! Still much better than the original damage or if I just tried to fill the chip without overfilling/sanding.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jkownz
The scratch is on the bottom left under the fog light. I know other types of fillers that stick to plastics. Don't know if I should just wait and buy a whole new piece after I eventually get some scratches/dinks on it later in the year. And no I don't have much experience with body work.

Here is where a deep scratch is.
On an area like that, I would give it a shot. Thats an area in the car where not many will notice, and if your going to get it fixed either way then might as well go with the inexpensive option first and see if you like the end product. The worst that could happen is your not happy and your only cost is probably $20 and a few hours.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Li7
I happen to have a rear door edge chip, probably someone who opened the door and hit something. Can i use the paint/procedure below to fix the chip? or is there a better way to correct door edge chipping?
Is it a chip or a scuff? Usually when someone opens the door on your car it leaves they're paint behind which needs to come off. Usually some buffing compound will take it off, or worse case senario you'll need some fine wet/sand (1,000-1,500 grit wet should work).
Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
Some idiot ran his front license plate screws into my back bumper. I bought my touchup paint here...

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/cho...=49&search.y=7

The color match is great. I even have meteor gray which is slightly pearlescent and I can't tell a difference.

Here are the steps I took to repair my paint damage.

1) Wash the area

2) Using a fine tipped paintbrush (you can try a toothpick also if you don't want to buy a brush), apply a small amount of paint just enough to cover the damage.

3) Wait 5 minutes to let the paint dry then add another coat. Keep doing this until your paint chip is completely filled in and slightly over filled.

4) Take 1500+ grit sand paper (the higher the better) doused in water to keep friction low and sand down the overfill to make the touch up paint as flush as you can with the surface. Be sure to keep the sand paper localized on the touch up paint or you're going to sand off your clearcoat on the "good" parts of your paint.

Note: If you want to use clearcoat to top the chip off, instead of using paint to overfill the chip, use clearcoat on the last 3 layers or so.

5) Let the paint dry for several hours, maybe even wait until the next day and wax/polish the area.

And you're done.

I'm pretty happy with my results. The chips are as flush as I could possibly get it, although I think I sanded a little bit out of my limits and dulled the clearcoat around the chip. Be careful! Still much better than the original damage or if I just tried to fill the chip without overfilling/sanding.

ShadowJet - thank for the instructions. The paint chips now look great - everything come out just fine on the chip, HOWEVER- the 1500 grit sand paper caused a problem. In a small area where I used that, the paint finish is now very, very dull. I tried to polish the area, but it just spread the "dullness" around more. I wish that I had skipped this step, and left the touchup paint a little 'bubbly' - it looked better then.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NickZag
On an area like that, I would give it a shot. Thats an area in the car where not many will notice, and if your going to get it fixed either way then might as well go with the inexpensive option first and see if you like the end product. The worst that could happen is your not happy and your only cost is probably $20 and a few hours.
20$ what body shop do you go to? lol
Old 03-15-2010, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check out this product: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/lang...-up-system.cfm. I bought it a while back in anticipation of touching up the inevitable post-winter chips. Haven't tried it yet, but it seems like it will be useful.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jkownz
20$ what body shop do you go to? lol
I ment $20 he cost of body filler and touch up paint to try and repair the damage to the pastic himself.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bprotas
ShadowJet - thank for the instructions. The paint chips now look great - everything come out just fine on the chip, HOWEVER- the 1500 grit sand paper caused a problem. In a small area where I used that, the paint finish is now very, very dull. I tried to polish the area, but it just spread the "dullness" around more. I wish that I had skipped this step, and left the touchup paint a little 'bubbly' - it looked better then.
I'm glad that it worked out for you for the most part. I did the exact same thing to my paint, hence the warnings, lol. Oh well, it's still a lot better than the chip. It's pretty difficult to keep the paper on the overfilled paint only. Someone needs to develop a tiny sanding block for better pinpoint control when sanding.

As for the polish spreading the dullness out more...What type of polish are you using? Sounds kind of odd. I waxed my "dull spots" after the sanding and it helped somewhat.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kdonovan
Check out this product: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/lang...-up-system.cfm. I bought it a while back in anticipation of touching up the inevitable post-winter chips. Haven't tried it yet, but it seems like it will be useful.
Interesting product. Please post a review of this when/if you try it out post-winter!

Quick Reply: Paint durability and touchup recommendations?