A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Picking up new A4 Avant today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by VivAvant
BTW, you've been very helpful! Thanks for all the inside info. I am hoping that your welcoming attitude permeates this whole board!
My pleasure. I think you'll find quite a civilized group of very enthusiastic folks here!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VivAvant
And what about a break-in process and period? I'm getting the 2.0T motor with auto, so I want to make sure I don't stress the engine too soon, as tempting as that might be...
Same powertrain here. I think I've just hit 300 miles, got the car last week. My general theory is don't baby it and avoid high loads and the redline. I have been keeping the trans set to Sport mode. I think that keeps the revs a little higher and I've certainly been using the paddle shifter to drop down a gear or two when climbing hills and to vary engine speed. I find the car has extremely tall gearing meaning the engine is barely turning over, almost feels like it's on the verge of lugging at times. This is not ideal, IMO, on a brand new motor.

If there's any way to get out on a road trip, that will aid in getting the rings to set quicker. I suspect it takes these car many thousands of miles before peak cylinder pressure is achieved. I don't believe the engine is broken-in in 5,000 miles, for example. (I think these engines are run-in at the factory to ensure performance criteria is met.)

I hear a lot of people complaining about high oil consumption on this engine. I have to wonder if it was related to the break-in done.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Same powertrain here. I think I've just hit 300 miles, got the car last week. My general theory is don't baby it and avoid high loads and the redline. I have been keeping the trans set to Sport mode. I think that keeps the revs a little higher and I've certainly been using the paddle shifter to drop down a gear or two when climbing hills and to vary engine speed. I find the car has extremely tall gearing meaning the engine is barely turning over, almost feels like it's on the verge of lugging at times. This is not ideal, IMO, on a brand new motor.

If there's any way to get out on a road trip, that will aid in getting the rings to set quicker. I suspect it takes these car many thousands of miles before peak cylinder pressure is achieved. I don't believe the engine is broken-in in 5,000 miles, for example. (I think these engines are run-in at the factory to ensure performance criteria is met.)

I hear a lot of people complaining about high oil consumption on this engine. I have to wonder if it was related to the break-in done.
Yes, new engines are so well put together with such tight tolerances, that they are just about 98-99% broken in at delivery, but that last 1-2% takes many miles. I'm convinced my 3.0 twin turbo on my 335i is just NOW broken in, and it has 40k miles on it!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

One of my buddies on a VW forum plotted his cylinder pressures from new up to about 50k miles. It took nearly that much time to achieve max cylinder pressure!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
There was a poll somewhere, maybe on Audizine, and from it you could not conclude that the oil consumption has to do with how the break-in was done. Oil consumption of zero is not the norm. Adding a quart between the oil changes seems to be the average. This means that the oil consumption was designed in. People who come to VAG turbo engines from other makes and engines find this oil consumption abnormal. The reality is that just their expectations have been different. That's all.

If you exclude the outliers (e.g. 1k miles per quart), I think the wide range of the oil consumption is due to people's driving habits and the conditions they drive in. If you floor the throttle frequently, you will notice burned oil forming up on the exhaust tips. Also, judging by the gas consumption, it seems that the 2.0T engine takes quite some time to warm up at low temperatures and to get into efficient mode. I'd expect more oil to be burned, for example, in Canada than in California.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't do much. I took delivery last Thursday and then Saturday I drove it to Italy. 950km each way and I only got one one rock chip on the hood and 3 or 4 VERY small nicks on the bumper. My M3 got all kinds of jacked up on that same drive. We got back yesterday and I got her all cleaned up and I threw a coat of NXT on there for now. In a few weeks when the weather is a bit better I'll see how much, if any correction it needs, and then Meg's #21 as the LSP.

Other than paint protection, the VCDS is SOOOOO worth it. I LOVE mine.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
There was a poll somewhere, maybe on Audizine, and from it you could not conclude that the oil consumption has to do with how the break-in was done. Oil consumption of zero is not the norm. Adding a quart between the oil changes seems to be the average. This means that the oil consumption was designed in. People who come to VAG turbo engines from other makes and engines find this oil consumption abnormal. The reality is that just their expectations have been different. That's all.

If you exclude the outliers (e.g. 1k miles per quart), I think the wide range of the oil consumption is due to people's driving habits and the conditions they drive in. If you floor the throttle frequently, you will notice burned oil forming up on the exhaust tips. Also, judging by the gas consumption, it seems that the 2.0T engine takes quite some time to warm up at low temperatures and to get into efficient mode. I'd expect more oil to be burned, for example, in Canada than in California.
My break-in consisted of driving to Italy and back with some driving in Italy as well. 950km each way with at least another 500km in Italy. Mine hasn't burned a drop. Then again, I've never had oil consumption issues on ANY of my VAG turbo cars.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
My break-in consisted of driving to Italy and back with some driving in Italy as well. 950km each way with at least another 500km in Italy. Mine hasn't burned a drop. Then again, I've never had oil consumption issues on ANY of my VAG turbo cars.
Check your oil meter after you get past 2500 miles. Mine didn't "burn" a drop before the first 2200 miles. As discussed in other threads, it's not really that it didn't burn anything, but it's because the factory fills up the engines to a level that is higher than the max on the oil meter.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:41 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Check your oil meter after you get past 2500 miles. Mine didn't "burn" a drop before the first 2200 miles. As discussed in other threads, it's not really that it didn't burn anything, but it's because the factory fills up the engines to a level that is higher than the max on the oil meter.
This is my experience also. I have about 1800km now and the MMI still shows full, although I see movement on the dipstick I installed. I'm not using much, but the factory fill was definitely higher than the usual full mark.

Quick Reply: Picking up new A4 Avant today!