A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Product Review: Canvasback (Cargo Liner)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Product Review: Canvasback (Cargo Liner)

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for or have any financial interest in Canvasback or their products. I hope I am not in violation of any Terms of Use here, I just like testing new stuff and wanted to share my results and experiences with this product for the benefit of other Audi enthusiasts. Perhaps Canvasback will consider becoming a supporting vendor one day.

Some of you may remember my detailed product review of Hubco's ProRack Whispbar roof bars. This is a similar style review for a different Audi accessory.

After struggling with various cargo mats and liner solutions in my A4 Avant, I became tired of incomplete solutions that only covered the floor but left the cargo bay's side panels and rear seatbacks unprotected. Anytime I transported my Golden Retriever, mountain bike, baby stroller, or something messy from the hardware store, I had to spend 5-10 minutes vacuuming and cleaning the factory carpet on each of these exposed areas. To avoid having to do this often, I would spread a thick blanket over the cargo area, covering the sides and rear seatbacks. It was a perfectly functional solution, but didn't look very OEM and was kind of a pain to deploy every time I needed to transport something dirty because I had to carefully tuck the corners and edges of the blanket to keep it from bunching up. And sometimes I didn't have my blanket with me for unexpected loads.

Then George P. Burdell told me about a Canvasback cargo liner that claimed to cover and protect the entire cargo area of one's car. I checked out Canvasback's website and sure enough, their product looked to be the perfect solution:

• Highly durable 600 denier textured poly fabric prevents, tears, scuffs & stains (even liquids)
  • PVC waterproof backing
  • Custom fit for many different vehicles
  • Sewn-in velcro tabbing system
  • Split seats can be lowered independently with quality webbing or zipper for split seats
  • Secure, clean fit that stays in place
  • Hand-made in the usa with quality workmanship
  • Available in several colors or printed patterns

Black
Mocha
Graphite
Realtree Advantage Max4 Camo
Hawaiian
Camouflage
Tan Plaid

I was so excited when I found this product that I immediately jumped to the vehicle application listing and searched for Audi. But unfortunately the company only had products that fit the B7 A4 Avant at the time.

I was disappointed and heartbroken, so I emailed the company and explained that I was interested in their product for my 2009 B8 Avant if it ever became available. I received a response indicating that the company would let me know if they ever made a pattern for my vehicle. Two and a half years later, my wish came true when out of the blue, Canvasback contacted me and said that a product fitting my vehicle was finally available!

I immediately ordered a complete set that included the optional side covers. I chose a Canvasback in black fabric to match my S-line's dark interior. 2 days later, a surprisingly compact pouch arrived on my doorstep.

The Canvasback cargo liner came in 3 pieces (left side panel cover, right side panel cover, and floor+seatback cover) that were neatly folded inside the clear plastic pouch. The pouch also contained an instruction sheet and some dog treats (a thoughtful touch that really made a positive impression with the dog and my wife!).

Everything attaches with Velcro that adheres to the factory carpeting, so installation was a straightforward affair that took approximately 15 minutes only because I'm a perfectionist. I probably wasted half that time smoothing out wrinkles and readjusting pieces so that they lined up perfectly with Audi's interior panels. Someone who doesn't care about such things could slap this baby in their car in less than 5 minutes.

Side covers installed:

Floor and seatback cover, upside down and showing Velcro strip that attaches to the factory carpet at the far/deep end of cargo floor behind seatback:

All pieces installed:

So what do I think of the Canvasback now that I have lived with it for 2 months? Please read on below for my product ratings and findings.

Design/Appearance: 9 out of 10

As is evident in the photos, the Canvasback is a handsome and visually complementary addition to any Avant. The color match is great and all edges and seams are nicely tailored. The floor cover slightly overlaps the bottom edges of the side panel covers, so no unsightly gaps are visible. Each piece follows every contour or corner of the Avant's interior, zigging and zagging in exactly the right spots to assure complete coverage and protection. Because of the excellent fitment of the floor and side pieces to Audi's interior panels, the whole thing looks like a factory accessory. The actual fabric looks like matte canvas with just the slightest sheen under harsh lighting conditions (like camera flashes). After several trips with the dog, bike, and 3 different family vacations, the Canvasback looks as good as it did when brand new.

One place where auto accessory manufacturers really trip up is logo implementation. Nothing is worse than a plastichrome badge or bright orange and pink logo that screams "AFTERMARKET!" The Canvasback logo occupies a small but prominent location at the front (near) edge of the load floor, but it's a tasteful solid color affair. My wife actually loved the logo when she first saw the product, and I agree that it's actually quite pleasing and not offensive in the least (unless you hate birds). My only criticism is that the logo patch is slightly off center. But that's being really nitpicky.

I took the Avant to a 4th of July BBQ and several people asked me about the product when I opened the liftgate to let my dog in. It made an instant impression and my brother is hoping that Canvasback makes a product for his Allroad soon!

The only thing that slightly detracts from the product's overall appearance is the fabric's ability to retain folded creases from shipping. This is purely a cosmetic issue and nothing more than an eyesore that probably won't bother 90% of customers. It has nothing to do with the design or manufacturing process and is simply a side effect of the packaging and shipping process. The fabric is very rugged and flexible but apparently has some "memory" too. I suppose if I was really picky, I could iron out the creases from the fabric but thankfully many of those creases have already released and softened by themselves over time (they are not completely gone though). When I contacted the manufacturer about this, they actually agreed that the wrinkles bother them too, and they have considered alternate packaging (like long tubes) to see if it would reduce the number of folds and wrinkles. Needless to say, this results in trade-offs and so far there isn't a silver bullet solution. Canvasback confirmed that heat will help release the wrinkles, as they said that they will use their silk screen heater to help relax very wrinkled pieces of fabric. They recommend leaving the liner installed in the car and over time, with exposure to heat from being parked outside, most of the wrinkles will disappear on their own.

Construction/Craftsmanship: 9 out of 10

I played around with a sample color swatch, and I cannot tear the fabric by hand. It's very similar to the kind of quality canvas fabric that you'd find on weatherproof backpack gear. The only thing that might damage the fabric would be something sharp like a knife or a screw (that could puncture the fabric) or something rough and prickly like a wire brush (which would cause the canvas to fray). The underside (which you never see once installed) has a PVC waterproof coating with a cross-hatched texture that might help the cargo liners grip whatever surface is below. My Golden Retriever's toenails never made the slightest indentation in the fabric, and I can see this product easily lasting the life of the car. If you regularly transport a lot of sharp or jagged objects, you may want to invest in one of Audi's rubber cargo liners (8K9 061 180) or plastic trays for additional protection. Or just wear one set of these out and buy another Canvasback later (they're not that expensive).

It's probably not too difficult to cut some ballistic fabric in the basic pattern of the cargo floor, but things get very tricky once you start working in 3 dimensions for the contoured side panels and accommodate factory trim and hardpoints. It's obvious that a lot of time and labor was spent on finishing touches and details like flaps and holes for latches and D-rings. All of the Velcro fasteners, seams, and edging look great and appear to be durably constructed.

Cutout for cabin light:

If I'm being picky, some of the stitching around the edges and seams could be a little tidier, but considering the Canvasback is made by hand (in the USA!), the variances between each product just add individual character and charm.

One minor complaint about the product's construction is that the fabric material does have an initial odor that goes away after a few days. I won't lie, it's a pretty strong odor the first time you install the cargo liner, but after "baking" in the sun for a couple days the odor has entirely disappeared. I would suggest not carrying any passengers (including pets) for the first 24-48 hours while the product continues to off-gas (and drive with the windows down to let the smell escape!). It's not an offensive or unpleasant odor, just a chemical scent similar to what one smells from new shoes or tennis *****. After 2 months, I can't smell anything unless I literally put my nose to the fabric so this is really just a temporary break-in issue.

Documentation: 8 out of 10

The Canvasback comes with a simple one-sided sheet of instructions that are generic to all vehicle applications (as far as I can tell because it mentions 3rd row seats that the Avant obviously doesn't have). The instructions are otherwise clear and easy to follow but having extra steps that only apply to certain vehicles may confuse somebody. So I knocked a point off for not including instructions that were specific to my vehicle (or at least vehicle type like wagon vs. SUV vs. hearse, just kidding about the hearse). I also knocked a point off for not including some photographs or illustrations. Not that I needed any, but some people are visual learners and may benefit from having a simple diagram or photo of how the pieces should be attached or fit together. But let me be clear, installation is so easy that if you cannot handle it without the instructions, you probably shouldn't be driving! It's literally just like a jigsaw puzzle with 3 pieces (and they only go one way!).

Fitment/Usability: 8 out of 10.

The pattern fitment to the vehicle is excellent. Velcro adhesion to the Audi carpet is excellent too, and I was honestly worried about this because Canvasback's FAQ says that some OEM carpets don't work well with Velcro. I inquired about this and Canvasback told me that VW/Audi's carpet was not the stickiest, but I have found that it's sticky enough that the cargo liner stays in place and nothing has ever shifted or moved back there.

From a design standpoint, this product fulfills its main function without sacrificing or compromising other related functions like use of the 60/40 split seat.

The design has other smart features like access flaps for the factory D-rings in the cargo floor and cutouts for the interior cabin lighting lenses.

A cheaper, less thoughtful product would have just covered all of those features with fabric. Preserving the use of cargo tie-downs and nets is a big plus for the Canvasback. If you need access to the spare tire well, just unfasten the Velcro on the forward edge of the cargo liner and roll or fold it out of the way. Access to the storage pocket inside the side panel is achieved the same way.

I did notice that the floor cover overlaps the side covers by about half an inch on each side, so the Velcro on whichever piece is on top will just stick to the edging of the mat or cover below. The Velcro adhesion is not quite as strong when a mat is sticking to another mat (vs. the factory carpet below) so the Canvasback gets a demerit for fitment in this regard. I understand the overlap may be practical or necessary for other reasons, but Canvasback should include matching Velcro on the top side of the side covers if they intended for the floor cover to overlap them.

The zipper at the 60/40 split is a great idea but hard to reach and use in practice. When the seats are up, the zipper access is blocked by the mesh divider (cargo blind?) housing and the cargo privacy cover.

This is not Canvasback's fault (it’s Audi’s), but it does restrict or limit access to the zipper (at least until the seats are released so that there's enough clearance for one’s fingers to access it). Even though you may only want to lower one of the 60/40 seatbacks, it’s easiest to release both seatbacks to gain the most access to the zipper. If you only release one side by itself, it’s a tight fit for one’s fingers (but can be done). Again, this is not a big deal, just a functional limitation that can probably be addressed by adding a simple fabric tag or rope loop to the zipper so that it can be more easily reached from below without having to release both seatbacks. This probably doesn't sound like a serious drawback (and it isn't) but if you have an infant or child car seat on one side of your backseat, it makes releasing both sides a PITA because you have may have to loosen or remove the child seat first. Most people using a 60/40 split will probably be hauling something large and will likely remove the mesh divider or privacy cover first anyway, giving one full access to the top of the zipper.

The other problem with the zipper is that if you use the 60/40 split (unzipped) and leave one seatback up, then raise the other seatback (say when you are done carrying your cargo), there is not a good way to zip up the zipper when both are raised. The zipper handle is so low (in the completely unzipped/open position), it’s below the cargo floor (kind of hidden in the crease behind the seats). I tried to leave the zipper "pre-started" by about 2 inches, but it was still hard to reach it (again, with the seats up but NOT locked yet). The only way I could re-zip the seats was to lower both seatbacks flat, re-zip, then raise both seatbacks at the same time (hard to do with only 1 person, from one side of the car). A petite female probably couldn't raise both seatbacks at once (from one side of the car), and it might be easier to unfasten the Velcro on one of the 60/40 sides and refasten after the seat was up. I will say that the Velcro is strong enough to support the weight of the unsupported seat back. I raised the 60% side of the seatback, and by Velcro adhesion alone the 40% of the seatback raised up with other side without problem. I did the same from the other side of the car and it worked fine that way too (but you could hear the Velcro popping and straining to hold up the heavier 60% side). It's just more difficult to have to raise both sides at once, and I imagine after repeated use the Velcro adhesion would eventually loosen and fail over time (from the factory carpet losing its fuzz, not from the Canvasback Velcro loops failing). Again, a simple loop or long zipper tag might solve this problem and make zipper access at the top-most and bottom-most position easier.

The last problem with the 60/40 split has nothing to do with the zipper but more to do with the fact that the floor piece is cut down the middle into 2 large flaps for the rear seatbacks. When the rear seatbacks are raised, the Canvasback mat kind of buckles or bows right at the base of the seatback. This is probably an unintended consequence of the grippy backing material on the Canvasback, as it resists sliding down into the crease behind the backseats. The extra material just creeps up when folded, so you have to re-smooth it by hand. Not a big deal, and I am not sure there’s any way around this (it could be unique to Audi fitment because Audi's crease may be super tight and other vehicles have a much wider gap here?). Maybe adding Velcro at the lower half of the zipper area would prevent the fabric from bowing, as the Velcro near the top of the zipper seam and works well to anchor the liner there. The photos below illustrate this minor cosmetic issue (before smoothing by hand):

In any case, I don't mind having these "problems" because I'm happy to have retained the 60/40 split, and favor dealing with these minor drawbacks over a liner design that takes the easy way out and just covers the entire seatback without a provision for the 60/40 split.

On a positive note, if you don't want to use the Canvasback cargo liner every day and want to stow it, it easily folds back up into a compact shape that fits perfectly inside the Avant's side storage compartment. I imagine one could easily stow it in the spare tire well too. This is hard to do with Audi's rubber cargo liner.

Performance: 9 out of 10

In over 2 months of daily use the Canvasback has performed admirably. I transported a set of tires in the back of the Avant and nothing happened to the fabric when the sticky summer rubber was dragged across it. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' no matter what I throw at it. And it does so without making any noise (I was half-expecting the Velcro fasteners to crackle from time to time as loads shifted but the cargo liner has been entirely silent). This is important to me because I can't stand interior cabin noises like squeaks and rattles. I was worried that sealing off my cargo area might affect my B&O subwoofer's performance or tone, but I can report no noticeable difference in the sound intensity or quality from my stereo after installing the Canvasback.

How does the Canvasback repel liquids? Very well I must say! I splashed water on the fabric and it just beaded up into tiny droplets (as if on waxed paint). This photo was taken 10 minutes after splashing water on the Canvasback:

These drops can be easily wiped away with a towel. If you don't touch or disturb the water on the surface of the liner, it will remain beaded for about 10-15 minutes (YMMV with other liquid types), at which point it will start to absorb into the canvas fabric. However, the liquid never penetrates to the other side because of the PVC coating on the underside of the liner. If you blot the liquid or let it absorb into the fabric, it does eventually dry completely without intervention. One word of caution: because the cargo liner is flat and doesn't have a raised lip or tray cross-section, any spilled liquids may run or roll off the edges of the liner. So don't expect the cargo liner to completely contain a large spill. 2-liters of soda might run off the back edge of the liner and stain your carpet by the liftgate latch. If this is a major risk for you, I recommending combining the Canvasback with Audi's tray liner product. This is the only vulnerability that I can see with the Canvasback (and costs the Canvasback a point here).

For performance junkies who may be worried about additional weight, rest assured that this product is very lightweight. I didn't weigh it myself but the UPS shipping label says "3 lbs" and that's including the dog treats! This compares favorably with other rubber cargo liners or plastic tray products that are heavier.

As to how well it cleans up, it vacuums better than the factory carpet as loose particles like sand and pet hair rest on the surface. A common lint roller does an even better job than a vacuum for removing dog hair from the Canvasback material. With the factory carpets, it would take several passes of the lint roller or mailing tape to remove every hair, but it only takes a single pass on the Canvasback. Over time, if the canvas fabric starts to fray or get "dust bunnies," I can see how it may take additional passes but so far it's working quite well. Rubber latex gloves are also an effective way to remove hair from the Canvasback (just drag your gloved hand across the surface).

Light dust smudges (like from contact with stroller wheels) simply wipe off by rubbing your hand across them a few times, and stubborn dirt stains come right out with a damp sponge (follow Canvasback's instructions, they only recommend using a soft brush or sponge with warm soapy water). Granted, I deliberately got the black cargo liner because it would hide the most marks, so I can't really comment on how stain resistant the lighter colors are.

Value: 9 out of 10

The Canvasback has a retail price of $159 for the Audi B8 Avant main cargo liner (that covers the floor and rear seatbacks) and $20 additional for the side panel covers. That comes out to a total price of $179 for the complete kit, but considering this is the only custom-fitting product that covers 100% of the cargo area, I think this is a good value. Throw in the free shipping, limited lifetime warranty, and very responsive customer service, and I doubt anyone will be disappointed with their investment. I imagine the cost of this product will likely be recouped at resale time because the original factory interior will have survived intact if a Canvasback is installed early. I've seen SUVs and wagons where it looked like the owner had raised livestock in the back of their car and I wouldn't even think of laying my golf bag down in there. I'm a pretty careful person, and car detailers have been known to perform miracles, but who wants to risk ruining their Avant's interior carpets with an accidental spill? $179 is not much for peace of mind and insurance.

How does the value compare with similar products? The Canvasback is more expensive than Audi's rubber cargo liner (8K9 061 180, $105-$120), but Audi's liner is an incomplete solution that leaves the seatbacks and side panels unprotected. WeatherTech sells a similar cargo liner for $120 + shipping. Audi does sell a different reversible cargo liner that has carpet on one side and rubberized foam on the other, with an extension flap that protects your bumper, but it's over $300 and doesn't protect the side panels either. The carpet color of this Audi product cannot be ordered to match your interior though (it's a one-color-fits all deal), and obviously Audi's rubber liner only comes in black. So in the end, I think the Canvasback represents a reasonably good value for filling a small market niche. I suspect their margins are higher on the floor liner than the side panel covers, as they're practically giving the side covers away at $20 per pair.

Conclusion:

Despite its minor shortcomings, I fully endorse and recommend the Canvasback cargo liner for anyone looking for complete horizontal and vertical protection in their A4 Avant's cargo area that integrates well with the factory interior. My only regret is that I couldn't get one for my car sooner! But who cares what I think. Most importantly, our Golden Retriever approves of the Canvasback!

All kidding aside, the Canvasback looks sharp, matches the interior well, and is cleverly designed to balance protection and function. It preserves use of the 60/40 split and affords access to factory tie-downs, spare tire well, side storage pocket, and attachment points for the cargo mesh divider. It's not quite a perfect solution because the Canvasback won't contain spills within its borders, but that deficiency can be addressed by combining the Canvasback with another liner product, plastic tub, or trunk organizer. Otherwise, the Canvasback is a great solution, especially for those who have furry four-legged friends or use their Avants for hardware store duty. I see that a Canvasback is available for the Audi Q5 now too.

I tried to be fair and objective while evaluating this product, and I hope others find this review beneficial. Please let me know if I can help answer any questions. I hope you enjoyed reading this review as much I enjoyed writing it.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I originally missed your disclaimer and was writing a comment basically asking if you worked for them or had a vested interested, but saw it before posting.

Like WOW...do you do product reviews for a living or work in Marketing. If not you should . Great write-up to say the least!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic review and on par with your roof rack review! You are a thorough guy!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Excellent...My bullies will be so happy!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well special thanks to George P. Burdell for recommending that product to you. George and I are old buddies!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I've been looking for something like this for our Q5.
Just placed the order. Thanks!

P.S. I've also read your review on the Whispbar and I'm seriously considering them for my Avant.
It's between those or the OEM bars.

Last edited by Audirings4; 08-09-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Like WOW...do you do product reviews for a living or work in Marketing. If not you should . Great write-up to say the least!
Thanks! I don't do this for a living but maybe I should? I think I would have to improve my photography skills before anyone would take me seriously.

Originally Posted by jfo
Fantastic review and on par with your roof rack review! You are a thorough guy!
Thank you. Being thorough is a curse too. The wife kept asking me last night "are you done yet?" and didn't understand what was taking me so long. Good thing Bachelor Pad occupied her attention for 3 hours!

Originally Posted by chach17
Well special thanks to George P. Burdell for recommending that product to you. George and I are old buddies!
Please say hello to him for me! I haven't seen him in quite some time (1999).
Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great review! Very helpful.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just received mine and I have to agree that it's well worth the price. Very well made. Sometimes you order things sight-unseen on the internet and it turns out to be crap. Not the case here.

One piece of advice. I called them instead of ordering online and was able to add an extra rear flap to the whole thing. Basically it's just another piece of fabric that attaches (again with Velcro) to the very rear of the main floor piece. It allows me to flap the piece down over the whole of the rear bumper so that when I'm loading bikes or dogs they don't scratch the rear bumper. Also works well for sitting on when putting on ski boots. The extra charge for the rear flap was nominal. If you're not using it you can either flap it in and have it just lay there flat, or quickly remove and store it.

Rock solid investment! Highly recommended.
-S
Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by svig
Just received mine and I have to agree that it's well worth the price. Very well made. Sometimes you order things sight-unseen on the internet and it turns out to be crap. Not the case here.

One piece of advice. I called them instead of ordering online and was able to add an extra rear flap to the whole thing. Basically it's just another piece of fabric that attaches (again with Velcro) to the very rear of the main floor piece. It allows me to flap the piece down over the whole of the rear bumper so that when I'm loading bikes or dogs they don't scratch the rear bumper. Also works well for sitting on when putting on ski boots. The extra charge for the rear flap was nominal. If you're not using it you can either flap it in and have it just lay there flat, or quickly remove and store it.

Rock solid investment! Highly recommended.
-S
Thanks for sharing this information. Do you have any pictures of the final product with the extra bumper flap? I wonder if it can be added after the fact, or if the main floor piece would have to be modified with additional velcro strips too.

Quick Reply: Product Review: Canvasback (Cargo Liner)