A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Questions for current A4 owners!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for current A4 owners!

Hi everyone!

So, I'm interested in possibly factory ordering a 2011 A4 Premium Plus and the only options that are must-haves is the Bang & Olufsen sound system and the 18" Sports Package.

So, two questions:

1. About the Quattro...(I know this has probably been done to death). Is the difference in the Quattro setup worth the extra money? I happen to live in a desert town, so the AWD seems pointless, but the 8-speed transmission interests me. Is it worth it the extra 2 grand or so? Is there any noticeable change in handling in the Quattro?

2. Secondly, how much time do I have if I want to get a factory order made for the 2011 model? There's usually some kind of cut-off date and I don't want any of the ones currently offered at my local dealers. Anyone have info on this?

THANKS
Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
Hi everyone!

So, I'm interested in possibly factory ordering a 2011 A4 Premium Plus and the only options that are must-haves is the Bang & Olufsen sound system and the 18" Sports Package.

So, two questions:

1. About the Quattro...(I know this has probably been done to death). Is the difference in the Quattro setup worth the extra money? I happen to live in a desert town, so the AWD seems pointless, but the 8-speed transmission interests me. Is it worth it the extra 2 grand or so? Is there any noticeable change in handling in the Quattro?

2. Secondly, how much time do I have if I want to get a factory order made for the 2011 model? There's usually some kind of cut-off date and I don't want any of the ones currently offered at my local dealers. Anyone have info on this?

THANKS
for what it's worth, it's been my purely seat-of-the-pants experience that most autmakers offer AWD as an afterthought for 90% of people worried about snow traction for the 4 times a year when they should have just called in sick and stayed home, and the cars they make reflect that.

Audi, on the other hand, seems to have developed an AWD system that can be used as a weapon against lesser cars on the road, for destroying the yellow 'suggested speed limit' signs on tight radius highway ramps,and for ripping off the line at a traffic light to get around the schmuck in the lowered honda with the boom-boom stereo. It's pretty good in snow, too.

I ordered my latest Audi about a month ago and was told to expect a 12 week wait.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

You don't have to live in a snow zone to realize the benefit of the Quattro system. It rains just about anywhere and then there's the sand that blows across the roads in the desert. Even on perfectly dry roads, a well designed all wheel drive system handles better in almost every respect. Less understeer, better grip and control, superior balance and on and on. Lots has been documented. Along with Jeep, Audi perfected the all wheel drive system way before anyone else. (I've owned several examples of both brands).

Don't hesitate to go for Quattro. No matter where you live. IMO, It's the signature difference that makes Audi stand above others in ALL driving conditions. You won't regret it.
(Same with the B&O - it's the best OEM sound system I've ever experienced in a thing that moves and doesn't fit on or stick in your head).
Old 12-22-2010, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sundowner
I ordered my latest Audi about a month ago and was told to expect a 12 week wait.
So, how does Audi's ordering process work?

Do they ask for a down payment or a deposit while you wait for your car to come in? What about financing and loan options. Is that taken care of when the car comes in or when it's ordered?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You don't have to live in a snow zone to realize the benefit of the Quattro system. It rains just about anywhere and then there's the sand that blows across the roads in the desert. Even on perfectly dry roads, a well designed all wheel drive system handles better in almost every respect. Less understeer, better grip and control, superior balance and on and on. Lots has been documented. Along with Jeep, Audi perfected the all wheel drive system way before anyone else. (I've owned several examples of both brands).

Don't hesitate to go for Quattro. No matter where you live. IMO, It's the signature difference that makes Audi stand above others in ALL driving conditions. You won't regret it.
(Same with the B&O - it's the best OEM sound system I've ever experienced in a thing that moves and doesn't fit on or stick in your head).
Nice, nice.

I see you have a 09 Prestige. Do you also have the Drive Select system or have tried it out? It's quite an expensive option, but almost every A4 review I've read have had nothing but good things to say about it. Is it worth the 3 grand?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered mine on October 4th and picked it up Dec 17th. I just had to put down a deposit of $1000.00 with the dealership in MN that I was working with. Red A4 Avant, Premium Plus, B&O, Titanium package.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by copsrt@prtel.com
I ordered mine on October 4th and picked it up Dec 17th. I just had to put down a deposit of $1000.00 with the dealership in MN that I was working with. Red A4 Avant, Premium Plus, B&O, Titanium package.
Is the $1,000 deposit partially non-refundable?

Did you pay cash or did you finance? Is the financing process done before the car arrives or after?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Nice, nice.

I see you have a 09 Prestige. Do you also have the Drive Select system or have tried it out? It's quite an expensive option, but almost every A4 review I've read have had nothing but good things to say about it. Is it worth the 3 grand?
I drive in NY/CT states. You get to see snow actually accumulated on the road maybe 2-3 times a year. I swear, at times it seems there is more salt than snow on the road. Yet 99% of all Audis are quattro here. As mentioned before you don't need snow to get the benefits of quattro. There is no front end trampling as you try to accelerate hard on slight uphill. No torque steering. Much less understeer and better balance. In other words it just handles better.

I got Drive Select on my car. It's definitely a nice toy (toy being the key word here). The biggest change is in the steering. There is a huge difference in the settings as dynamic setting enables variable ratio and reduces assist providing very solid and precise feel. I also switch suspension setting depending on traffic conditions. People with the sports package will say that hard suspension is not a big deal but it's just nice not to have your bones rattled as you move at 40 MPH in traffic on the highway. On the open road you can switch it back to dynamic and enjoy the ride. Whether it's worth 3K is another matter. The question becomes what's 3K worth to you? If you are squeezing the car into your budget then it's definitely a bad decision.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you plan on an engine tune/chip then quattro is recommended or required as the cvt can't handle the extra torque and power. Stasis is one example that will not do a ecu tune on cvt.

As for the cutoff date, I'd guess around May. New MY cars show up on lots around August. Check w/ your dealer.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have drive select on my car and I love it ! The roads are so bad in Quebec that I mostly have the car in the comfort mode, but it does not feel overly soft and if I ever want it sportier then I just need to select the dynamic mode and start choking on my fillings falling off !

I drove a regular suspension loaner A4 and it felt like a totally different car and I liked the ADS much better. It is most probably an option that I would not have ordered, but I bought a used Audi function car and it came with it and I am glad it did.

It does not seem like a popular option, but I suppose that it is because most people find it too expensive.

Quick Reply: Questions for current A4 owners!