A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Rough Idle, Engine Shakes, EPC Light, Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle, Engine Shakes, EPC Light, Check Engine Light

Hey, I have an Audi A4 2010 and i'm having some issues with it. When i try to start it up it would have this weird shaking and rough idle when it does start, sometimes it starts up fine and runs fine sometimes it makes these weird noises and shakes a lot. So far i tried changing the timing chains, all of them and the tensioners and that hasn't fixed it. I tried changing the position cam sensor and crank sensor and that didn't fix it. I tried changing the upstream oxygen sensor and that hasn't worked. I also changed two of the coils and all the spark plugs and that hasn't really made a difference. I still get a code that says that all the cylinders have a misfire. I really don't know what to do anymore and i doubt that i didn't align the chains correctly because the car would sometimes shake and when i give it gas past one thousand rps it would settle down and sound normal.
The EPC light would turn off once i go past 2,000 RPMs
That light also sometimes turn on and sometimes it doesn't

I have a couple videos showing what happens when i start it up, if that helps

Codes that i get
P0341-Camshaft position sensor A circuit range/ performance bank 1 or single sensor
P0300-Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected
C342D-Manufacturer control
P0302-Cylinder 2 Misfire detected
I would also get oxygen sensor 1 bank 2 and bank 3 codes
Old 01-05-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

PCV can cause some of those symptoms, but did you align everything correctly when doing the timing? Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dr Awesome
PCV can cause some of those symptoms, but did you align everything correctly when doing the timing? Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it?
I replaced the cap on the PCV valve but not the whole thing, you think it could be the whole unit? I'm pretty sure i aligned everything correctly, and i did it with the help of my dad. If it wasn't aligned correctly, wouldn't it be a constant rough idle? Going to take it apart again today and take some pictures
Old 01-06-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your engine is rough idling with a shake and spitting out blackness, you have a miss and you need plugs and or coil. Fixed mine just fine.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AlexA4B8Fan
If your engine is rough idling with a shake and spitting out blackness, you have a miss and you need plugs and or coil. Fixed mine just fine.
There’s no black smoke coming out. I also get TPMS light and ESP light and air pressure light. Also park malfunction turns on as well. I have no idea what it could be. Something electrical for sure but have no idea what it could be.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,586 Posts

You'll get ESP/park malfunction when "something somewhere is wrong". So those lights are not of particular help to you.
I would probably start with the camshaft sensor and see what you can find about it. I've never had that issue.
I did have a problem in a prior car which overheated and the engine stopped cranking. They replaced a camshaft sensor (and the radiator which had cracked) and all was good again.
Maybe that part is just busted.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by quakers
Hey, I have an Audi A4 2010 and i'm having some issues with it. When i try to start it up it would have this weird shaking and rough idle when it does start, sometimes it starts up fine and runs fine sometimes it makes these weird noises and shakes a lot. So far i tried changing the timing chains, all of them and the tensioners and that hasn't fixed it. I tried changing the position cam sensor and crank sensor and that didn't fix it. I tried changing the upstream oxygen sensor and that hasn't worked. I also changed two of the coils and all the spark plugs and that hasn't really made a difference. I still get a code that says that all the cylinders have a misfire. I really don't know what to do anymore and i doubt that i didn't align the chains correctly because the car would sometimes shake and when i give it gas past one thousand rps it would settle down and sound normal.
The EPC light would turn off once i go past 2,000 RPMs
That light also sometimes turn on and sometimes it doesn't

I have a couple videos showing what happens when i start it up, if that helps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQe5v40Dips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM16XnpaPKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNPWIwi559I

Codes that i get
P0341-Camshaft position sensor A circuit range/ performance bank 1 or single sensor
P0300-Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected
C342D-Manufacturer control
P0302-Cylinder 2 Misfire detected
I would also get oxygen sensor 1 bank 2 and bank 3 codes

did you you ever find out what was the problem i am have the exact same issue on my 2011 Audi A4 I did the timeing chain with my father about a year ago and car ran great and recently I have been getting rough idle and car shakeing bad at idle,epc light will go on if left at idle
Old 02-06-2019, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check injectors
The following users liked this post:
Judy Newman (05-28-2020)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bad fuel injectors is a known problem. My 2013 lost engine in December starting with really rough idle. Happened really fast...drove it about 3 miles to gas station. CEL came on and flashed just before I pulled in. Mechanic said don’t drive it, checked engine and found cylinder 4 error code. Towed it to Audi, they tore down engine and found it destroyed. Injector failed to close, washed out oil, friction broke piston ring. Pieces of metal went through engine, found pieces in oil pan. Audi covered prorated portion of engine repair based on age and mileage (60k), about 65% of the cost. They also replaced the other three injectors and timing chain, all known to be potentially defective from manufacture!

I would get those injectors replaced ASAP since you know you have misfire on all cylinders!
Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by andilbrody
Bad fuel injectors is a known problem. My 2013 lost engine in December starting with really rough idle. Happened really fast...drove it about 3 miles to gas station. CEL came on and flashed just before I pulled in. Mechanic said don’t drive it, checked engine and found cylinder 4 error code. Towed it to Audi, they tore down engine and found it destroyed. Injector failed to close, washed out oil, friction broke piston ring. Pieces of metal went through engine, found pieces in oil pan. Audi covered prorated portion of engine repair based on age and mileage (60k), about 65% of the cost. They also replaced the other three injectors and timing chain, all known to be potentially defective from manufacture!

I would get those injectors replaced ASAP since you know you have misfire on all cylinders!
Audi just replaced the injectors ,de carbed it and replaced an intake valve on the front of the plenum also replaced map sensor now check engine light comes on and it runs a little rough but not as bad as when I took it to them. They said it was the ECU but I dont think that's the problem for sure .Need to do some test before I get involved with replacing the ECU.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle, Engine Shakes, EPC Light, Check Engine Light