A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Should I be paying sticker price on a 2012 A4 Prestige?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You haven't signed anything and the deposit is refundable. That said, you clearly want the car, so I agree that asking the dealer to work with you on the price or throw in some things you might want (AudiCare, etc) is wise. It can't hurt anyway.

The A4 is the one Audi you should have no trouble negotiating a deal to your liking. At least in my area, the dealer lots are full of A4s in various configurations, and the board in the sales manager's office always shows a line of A4s on their way in. The same cannot be said for the Q5 for instance.

Both AAA and Costco have pre-negotiated deals on the A4 that is well below sticker - generally still above invoice, but a far better deal than paying sticker. Contact either if you're a member and they'll tell you who your local dealer is that participates. My regular local Audi dealer uses the AAA rates as a starting point in most deals and I think that's more than fair.

We just picked up a Q5, ordered car (tweaked an order before it hit the assembly line) and got exactly what we wanted, paid around $1500 below sticker, and got the car in only about six or seven weeks. Plus we got another $1500 off for Audi Loyalty, and expect we'll get a $500 check from Audi Club.

Good luck however you decide to resolve this. If it were me, I'd order a car and get the 6MT that you want, option it exactly as you like, and hope that the dealer has an allocation that can be modified to your order specs. That could very well put the car in your driveway by early December, but not without some risk of delays.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know where you are, but it sounds like you're getting jerked around a good bit by the dealer.

For reference, I ordered my A4 P+ Ti. at end of last year. It stickered for $40k and the dealer (Pam Zabitz at Paul Miller Audi in NJ)sold it to me for $35k and change, which is a hell of lot better than most other places quoted me. I've bought three Audis from her over the years and pretty much been treated the same every time.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I picked up an A4 Premium Plus with B&O, MMI Nav and sports package in monsoon gray yesterday. It was the only car configured as I wanted that I could find in the Bay Area. I paid $2350 below sticker without difficulty, and I am confident I could have gotten a better deal. Financing was 1.9% for 60 months. I did not qualify for Audi Loyalty.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As stated by most everyone, no way you should pay sticker. One thing you might want to do is get a price from other dealers. When I was looking in February, the local dealer had the car I wanted, but was asking a bit much. I contacted another dealership and they offered me a significantly better deal, although I'd have to order. I went back to the dealership with the car on the lot and showed them the quote I got from the other dealership and they matched it. Ended up paying $300 over invoice.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find the fair price of your car here:
http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html
and try and get as close to that as you can.
Worst case you can use the service -- many
credit card companies, banks, and credit unions
will allow you to buy through this.

Since Audis tend to be in short supply, if you
configure the car exactly as you saw it on the dealer's
lot, chances are they will find that very car at that
dealer and get it for you at this price.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I paid $39,000 for a 2012 Premium Plus S-Line with Nav. & Advanced Key. That was $2,000 below invoice, but reading these posts, I think I should have tried to go $300-500 lower. When I started looking this summer, I had to walk away from two deals where the salesman wouldn't go below invoice. Now it appears that the stock market correction is beginning to bite and well-equipped A4s are sitting on the lot (at least in the Seattle area). You have to consider dealer incentives, also. My local dealership was up for a $70K bonus if they moved a certain number of cars in September (always shop at the end of the month).
Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jprice721
I paid $39,000 for a 2012 Premium Plus S-Line with Nav. & Advanced Key. That was $2,000 below invoice, but reading these posts, I think I should have tried to go $300-500 lower. When I started looking this summer, I had to walk away from two deals where the salesman wouldn't go below invoice. Now it appears that the stock market correction is beginning to bite and well-equipped A4s are sitting on the lot (at least in the Seattle area). You have to consider dealer incentives, also. My local dealership was up for a $70K bonus if they moved a certain number of cars in September (always shop at the end of the month).
Wow...didn't think below invoice was possible.

Would this apply even to ordered vehicles, or would it be only for vehicles on the lot that they might have had trouble moving?

BTW, auto sales in the US are rocking right now...
http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/20...1-million.html
Old 10-05-2011, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

$2k or more below INVOICE??? Dealers in Washington state must be pretty desperate to move units!!!

Agree; always shop the end of the month when they're trying to make a monthly quota.

Originally Posted by jprice721
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got about $1k below invoice...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by anoop
Wow...didn't think below invoice was possible.

Would this apply even to ordered vehicles, or would it be only for vehicles on the lot that they might have had trouble moving?

BTW, auto sales in the US are rocking right now...
http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/20...1-million.html
I doubt you could go below invoice on an ordered car. I neglected to mention that my car is without a controller chip for the reverse camera/park assist. It seems that they are awaiting this part from Japan (tsunami). Should arrive by January. That may have helped my negotiating position. Audi claims a 17% increase over last summer, but my car sat for all of August and most of September (not sure if that is typical or not).