A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Sold my 2009 A4 Prestige S-Line - Sad but had to - Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold my 2009 A4 Prestige S-Line - Sad but had to - Please Read

I was one of the unfortunate people who purchased the new B8 A4 platform that was plagued with the vibration problems. I went through multiple tire balancing, replacements, and eventually had the control arms replaced. Audi's regional rep was involved at one point, and to be frank, was not customer focused and borderline arrogant. He did not solve the problem but tried to convince me that he did.

My car continued to have the steering vibration and wobble, regardless of the wheels and tires on it. Also, it had a severe vibration through the floorboard that vibrated the passenger seat more than any car I have ever driven. Passengers commented on it.

What disappoints me about all of this, is that I love (or loved) the brand but felt I had to leave it. Audi simply wore a loyal Audi customer down (I have owned 4 Audis and 4 VW's). I even contacted the president of Audi America who handed me off to another curt Audi rep who was going to send the same non-responsive field rep down to look at the car. I knew this was going to be another exercise in futility. I was done.

So I am glad for all of you who own A4's and A5's that do not vibrate, shake, shimmy, etc. Enjoy your cars. And I hope they remain vibration free. I, unfortunately, was not so fortunate and had to move on. As I stated previously, Audi wore me down. I just read about another former A4 owner who purchased an Acura. I will follow his lead and give Acura a try again. I owned that brand when it first came to the US and loved those cars.

I will continue to monitor this board because I enjoy the auto enthusiasts who participate in it. I just won't be able to appreciate the specifics of the conversations any more.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2010 A4 and had no issues. The problems you had were specific to the 2009s and are very unfortunate. Have you considered a 3 series or maybe a Hyundai Genesis? I was not impressed by the TSX or anything Acura had to offer. In either case, good luck with your next car.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you have an S-Line, Sport Suspension, and/or 19" wheels? Like I said, I loved my A4 but I could not get resolution from Audi. They were content to allow me to live with its problem. Others on this board experienced the same fate. They moved on to other cars. I do know of others with 2010 A4's and S4's that have had the wobble...

If I have to venture a guess, the problem, if appropriately diagnosed, has something to do with driveshafts. But I guess I will never know.

I have a friend with a TL and it is a pretty amazing car for the money. Will consider the new 3-Series as well. You are correct, the TSX feels like an Accord. But for now, I sticking with my Dodge Ram and will see what the car companies bring out in the next year.

I won't miss the clunks in the front end of my A4, the door weatherstripping that kept coming off, MMI intermittents issues, etc. But I will miss the handling and overall fun of the car. It was a tough decision for me, but in the end, I had to cut my losses. Would have loved to have kept it...had it not been for the incessant vibrations.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Former Audi Owner
But for now, I sticking with my Dodge Ram and will see what the car companies bring out in the next year.
Don't make the same mistake to buy a first MY luxury car - a lot of innovation and headaches.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, Sorry to hear your troubles. Maybe when Audi introduces the new A3 (sized like the B5 A4) you might return to the fold.

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Don't make the same mistake to buy a first MY luxury car - a lot of innovation and headaches.
I agree. When I started researching the new A4 and came to these boards, I discovered the issues the early '09's were having. I said to myself: 'self, you can wait another 6 mths'. I got a great '10 SLine and love every minute I'm in the driver's seat.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had 09 A4 w/o problems except engine replaced at 22Km Switched to 10 S4 30Km now w/o problems. NOTE; Audi replaced engine on my A4 and gave it full 50Km/4Yrs warranty. It was a valve rocker broken. Audi couldn't find some very small pieces of the broken part, so replaced the whole engine. During that 2 weeks, I was given a Q7 as loaner. 6 months after that, replaced A4 with S4 priced $56225 talked down to $51225 w/ ADS because I never felt safe driving the A4 too far out of town with an engine replaced by local dealer.

Last edited by bimmers2; 10-01-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you decide to go with the TL acurazine is a cool forum... Also- really consider going for the sh awd- I used to own an 06 TL and the torque steer was crazy.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:26 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

To the OP, sorry to hear. My '10 a4 sports (18" with sports suspension) has been the most flawless car I've purchased. Nothing wrong with it at 23k miles/2 years. Hope you don't get as unlucky later.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by validA4
I have a 2010 A4 and had no issues. The problems you had were specific to the 2009s and are very unfortunate. Have you considered a 3 series or maybe a Hyundai Genesis? I was not impressed by the TSX or anything Acura had to offer. In either case, good luck with your next car.
Not true. I've seen several posts from 10' and 11' owners.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Former Audi Owner
If I have to venture a guess, the problem, if appropriately diagnosed, has something to do with driveshafts. But I guess I will never know.
I thought that the problem was eventually diagnosed as faulty control arm bushings.

Quick Reply: Sold my 2009 A4 Prestige S-Line - Sad but had to - Please Read