A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Sports Pkg/S-Line Tires Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports Pkg/S-Line Tires Question

Greetings AudiWorld. I've been lurking for a few months. I was close to purchasing an '09 2.0T a few months back, but decided to wait for the '10 model. I'm looking to purchase a deep sea blue 2.0T Tip, prestige, s-line, adaptive cruise, driver assist. I'll probably order in about a month.

I have a concern with the fact that if I order at the end of August, I'll probably get the car in Winter. What are the "high performance tires"? Are they summer tires that will leave me in a ditch in the winter, even with quattro? I live in the DC area, so when it snows, people don't know what to do and it usually takes half a day for them to figure out they need to plow the roads.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

high performance summer tires = no go with our without quattro
Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 PM
CEB
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tulip_sniper
Greetings AudiWorld. I've been lurking for a few months. I was close to purchasing an '09 2.0T a few months back, but decided to wait for the '10 model. I'm looking to purchase a deep sea blue 2.0T Tip, prestige, s-line, adaptive cruise, driver assist. I'll probably order in about a month.

I have a concern with the fact that if I order at the end of August, I'll probably get the car in Winter. What are the "high performance tires"? Are they summer tires that will leave me in a ditch in the winter, even with quattro? I live in the DC area, so when it snows, people don't know what to do and it usually takes half a day for them to figure out they need to plow the roads.
...you'll want winter tires...
Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed with CEB.

Even with Quattro, which is a wonderful thing, you'll want winter tires.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur. Get winters.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Snow tires? Or are all-season tires enough? I currently drive an Acura TSX, and with all-season tires the car has proven to be quite reliable in the Winter.

Has anyone been in a similar situation when buying and have the dealer provide a tire swap at delivery? I would rather not have to buy a set of winter rims with winter tires, or re-mount tires on the OEM rims.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tulip_sniper
Snow tires? Or are all-season tires enough? I currently drive an Acura TSX, and with all-season tires the car has proven to be quite reliable in the Winter.

Has anyone been in a similar situation when buying and have the dealer provide a tire swap at delivery? I would rather not have to buy a set of winter rims with winter tires, or re-mount tires on the OEM rims.
A/S tires are better than summer tires, but not nearly as good as winter-performance tires, which aren't as good as winter traction tires.

I've tried a/s tires (RE960as, supposed to be one of the best) http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...productID=1112

and they were nowhere as good as winter performance tires.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed with Toecutter in that A/S tires are better than summer tires but no where near as good as winter-performance tires.

Assuming you're comfortable driving in the typical DC winter I would say go with A/S tires as DC just doesn't get that much snow to merit winter tires. Totally agree with how people in DC react to snow. I was down there a few years ago and there was barely any snow on the ground maybe a dusting and I had my car parked on the street and the city tried to tow my car. I asked what was the reason and the response was it's a "snow emergency" can't you see the snow on the ground!! I couldn't help but laugh...after he lowered my car back down so I can park it elsewhere. There were probably 10 cars all being towed on that block that day.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kiki143
Agreed with Toecutter in that A/S tires are better than summer tires but no where near as good as winter-performance tires.

Assuming you're comfortable driving in the typical DC winter I would say go with A/S tires as DC just doesn't get that much snow to merit winter tires. Totally agree with how people in DC react to snow. I was down there a few years ago and there was barely any snow on the ground maybe a dusting and I had my car parked on the street and the city tried to tow my car. I asked what was the reason and the response was it's a "snow emergency" can't you see the snow on the ground!! I couldn't help but laugh...after he lowered my car back down so I can park it elsewhere. There were probably 10 cars all being towed on that block that day.
Ha ha! Snow emergency! I know some folks who live in DC. They're very indoorsy. Not the hardiest folks around.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

All-season tires are perfectly fine for you. I live in Massachusetts, where we get tons of snow, and I use a/s tires in the winter. Combined with all wheel drive, my car is unstoppable. If you don't have awd, I'd say get winter tires. But with awd, they are definitely overkill. In 13 years of driving Audis, I have never gotten stuck in the snow.

I have summer performance tires on my car now. This fall I will pick up a set of Continental Conti Extreme Contact tires . I used them a couple of years on my B6 and they were great.

Last edited by A4Driver; 07-24-2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: add something

Quick Reply: Sports Pkg/S-Line Tires Question