A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Sucking oil out with an extractor like the dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sucking oil out with an extractor like the dealer.

Anyone ever use one of these:
Amazon.com: Hydro-Turf Oil Extractor 6-Liter OIL01: Automotive Amazon.com: Hydro-Turf Oil Extractor 6-Liter OIL01: Automotive

I know when I went to the audi dealer this is what they were using or something samialir to get my oil out. Cause if this is the case I mine as well change the oil my damn self! I have changed my oil on other cars but not as often as I should. I''m always thinking I better take it ti the dealer as if they do some magic on the simple things I can do myself
Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I picked up the oil extractor from Giotts Garage last fall. Works great man. To hell with those crazy dealer prices. I even have audi care but change my oil in between paid for changes, if that makes sense.
Makes oil changes easier than anything.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks ojmcneill. Im going to have to get one for myself then
Old 03-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice find!

Now I am considering changing the oil myself, since I wouldn't have to jack up the car, remove the splash guard etc.

A few questions though:

1) Do you still have to replace the sump plug gasket after every oil change?

2) What kind of oil filters are you using? Mann W719/45?

3) How do you guys reset the oil change/service interval? Do you need VCDS?

4) Could there be any issues with sediment being left at the bottom, since you are sucking the oil out the top instead of draining it from the bottom?

Also BTW what do dealers usually charge for an oil change?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by meatheadmike
Nice find!

Now I am considering changing the oil myself, since I wouldn't have to jack up the car, remove the splash guard etc.

A few questions though:

1) Do you still have to replace the sump plug gasket after every oil change?

2) What kind of oil filters are you using? Mann W719/45?

3) How do you guys reset the oil change/service interval? Do you need VCDS?

4) Could there be any issues with sediment being left at the bottom, since you are sucking the oil out the top instead of draining it from the bottom?

Also BTW what do dealers usually charge for an oil change?
1) NO
2) YES
3) Need VC or dealer to reset
4) NO

Don't know about dealer cost as I had never had a dealer do it.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the detail on that. Looking forward to doing my own oil change since this car is the most expensive out of the two.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:19 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

3. The oil change interval can be reset in the Car menu on the MMI/AMI but the service interval reminder needs VagCom/or dealer.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
1) NO
2) YES
3) Need VC or dealer to reset
4) NO

Don't know about dealer cost as I had never had a dealer do it.
I would check issue #1 with a dealer. After time all gaskets that are meant to be renewed/replaced can start to deteriorate.
Regarding issue #4 (residual sediment) I believe it could eventually be an issue. I have had several power boats with I/O (inboard/outboard) Ford 5.0 liter V-8 engine drives and the oil was always changed via the "suck it out with a straw" method for ease in the water at the marina. In the case of the one boat I had bought used and kept for several years the repair guy did something (I forget what) at some point to deal with what he described as "sludge" that inevitably builds up in the lower sump when it isn't drained by gravity. I can't see why a car would be much different than a boat.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got the griots garage oil extracter also. Works great, and makes taking it to the recycling center easy too. I order mann filters and use motul synthetic 5w30. Takes me 20 mins. til hands on the towel and about 1/4 the price.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I would check issue #1 with a dealer. After time all gaskets that are meant to be renewed/replaced can start to deteriorate.
Regarding issue #4 (residual sediment) I believe it could eventually be an issue. I have had several power boats with I/O (inboard/outboard) Ford 5.0 liter V-8 engine drives and the oil was always changed via the "suck it out with a straw" method for ease in the water at the marina. In the case of the one boat I had bought used and kept for several years the repair guy did something (I forget what) at some point to deal with what he described as "sludge" that inevitably builds up in the lower sump when it isn't drained by gravity. I can't see why a car would be much different than a boat.
The oil plug gasket in the oil pan is either copper , aluminum or nylon. If they are not leaking they will not deteriorate and leak. They are usually replaced when removed because they crush when installed and should not be reused. As fare as sludge in the oil pan this can happen over time due to contamination or condensation when the oil is not changed on a normal scheduled basis. Gravity drain also leaves residue in the pan the same as vacuum extraction. Also due to the limited usage of most boat engines you can't compare them to daily use car engines where the engine heat burns off most of the contaminates. Then again if you use your boat the same amount of time as your car you wouldn't have a sludge problem.

Quick Reply: Sucking oil out with an extractor like the dealer.