A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Tax Receipt Letter

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Art234
New York State requires sales tax on lease payments to be paid up front at inception, not on a monthly basis. The tax is paid by the lessor when the lease is executed. It doesn't matter to the state itself whether you pay tax up front or cap it in the lease payment.

The State of Illinois should accept the tax portion of the lease statement and contract, but then again you're looking at one of the most corrupt governments in the country....good luck.
Yeah, this is pretty much what I've come to understand too. AFS didn't understand why the lease agreement wasn't sufficient either. This does just feel like a scam to make it difficult to prove, so people will breakdown and just pay it twice.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by redherring
That's pretty brave, considering the potholes...
Didn't see any, but will keep that in mind next time. I was on the stretch where you enter from Fullerton and are heading south. Was late at night and deserted.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tgdA4
Well, if you must know...got it up to 95mph on lakeshore drive first week I got here, but thats another story

Agree the 3.2 is plenty fast and enjoy driving it. But my point was that if I could have leased an S4 for the same money, why turn down the extra performance?

Also, what extra tax would I pay on an S4? Insurance might be a factor, but probably not by much.
So if you were doing 95 mph on Lake Shore drive, would you have gone faster if you had an S4? Your 3.2 could have gone 120 before the limiter kicked in as would the S4 (unless you could override the limiter in some way).

As for costing you the same, would it really? I was thinking your NY sales tax would have been higher on the front end when you leased the car as most states base the tax on the actual purchase or diff to cap cost price. An S4 would have been more than your A4 (similarly equipped), no? Insurance definitely would have been significantly more - I believe the S4 is 2-3 symbols higher as rated by the insurance companies. I would think living in cities like NYC and Chicago, this difference would be even more pronounced.

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-29-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
So if you were doing 95 mph on Lake Shore drive, would you have gone faster if you had an S4? Your 3.2 could have gone 120 before the limiter kicked in as would the S4 (unless you could override the limiter in some way).

As for costing you the same, would it really? I was thinking your NY sales tax would have been higher on the front end when you leased the car as most states base the tax on the actual purchase or diff to cap cost price. An S4 would have been more than your A4 (similarly equipped), no? Insurance definitely would have been significantly more - I believe the S4 is 2-3 symbols higher as rated by the insurance companies. I would think living in cities like NYC and Chicago, this difference would be even more pronounced.
I would have had more fun getting up to 95mph in an S4 though. That's just an opinion though. Limiter on an A4 is 130 and 155 on S4, btw.

A prestige S4 would have been about 10k more than my prestige A4. NYS only taxes a portion of the price for leased cars at 8%. I would only be looking at maybe $500 more in tax, which would get rolled into the lease payments anyway. So over 36 months thats about $13 more and I think the better depreciation on the S4 would negate the extra tax. Point is I hear S4 prestige drivers getting the same lease payment as I have for my A4. Thats all I care about.

Insurance I will give you would be higher, but I don't think it would be enough to really matter that much. Strangely, moving from rural upstate NY to chicago my insurance went down $200 a year.

UPDATE: just got an online quote from geico and it would be $75 more a year for me to upgrade to an S4. Mainly just comprehensive and collision go up. Liability was unchanged.

Last edited by tgdA4; 04-29-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

UPDATE:

I can finally drive my car again! Got it registered today. Audi dealer came through with a letter stating the tax was paid.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just in time for summer road construction season! Chicago's great in the summer--a lot easier to keep your car clean without having your paint destroyed by the automatic car washes.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, think I'm gonna get it detailed soon. Any recommendations?
Old 05-07-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always had good luck at the Royal Touch across from Allstate Arena in Rosemont. After my daughter and her idiot boyfriend "washed" my black Acura and dried it with dirty towels, scratching the s**t out of the hood, I took it to Royal Touch and you couldn't tell. I gather you're in the City, however, so you may not want to go that far.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you get from the NY DMV?

And welcome to Chicago.. maybe I'll see you on Lakeshore sometime.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ports
What did you get from the NY DMV?

And welcome to Chicago.. maybe I'll see you on Lakeshore sometime.
Didn't need anything from the NYS DMV. Only a letter from my audi dealer, stating the tax was already paid to NYS. Just had to be on their letter head and stamped. Fax was acceptable. Didn't need to be notarized either.