A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Thule Racks Installed on A4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice car... but i really really dislike it when people strap things to the top of their car... im always worried about it flying off and hitting me when im behind them... and ive seen that happen a few times.. just saw someones clothes scattered all over the highway on friday...
Old 08-01-2009, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ports
nice car... but i really really dislike it when people strap things to the top of their car... im always worried about it flying off and hitting me when im behind them... and ive seen that happen a few times.. just saw someones clothes scattered all over the highway on friday...

Blame it on crappy racks and boxes/bags. If you strap something on a roof, make sure you use a good rack and install it properly!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stl4
did you trim the middle rubber insert after you mounted the bike trays?
No I left the rubber insert on there because I think it gives a nice, finished look. I ended up cutting holes in the rubber so the bolts could poke through. It was kind of a pain to measure and re-measure where the holes needed to be punched through but the extra effort definately paid off.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ports
Yeah I know what your saying. I saw a bunch of jars of peanut butter strewn all over I-5 yesterday because someone didn't use the correct racks on their car.

how do clothes on the freeway and a bike rack on top of a car have anything to do with each other?????
Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Does the Sunroof Still open

I was thinking of getting the same getup for my new 2011 A4 Avant. I purchased the Yakima railgrabbers, but they sat too low and I couldn't open the sunroof. Wondering if you had the same problem with the Thule or if they sat high enough to open the sunroof.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thule Racks with Audi Crossbars

Can anyone confirm that Thule racks will fit on Audi factory crossbars? Yakima appears to have adapters but the Thule fit guide suggests their racks should fit directly. I had crossbars thrown in on the deal for my Avant...should have it in about 3 weeks.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmgkdg
I was thinking of getting the same getup for my new 2011 A4 Avant. I purchased the Yakima railgrabbers, but they sat too low and I couldn't open the sunroof. Wondering if you had the same problem with the Thule or if they sat high enough to open the sunroof.
I have a 2011 Titanium Premium Plus Avant and am using the Thule system. I have had no problems with the full function of the sunroof. I had looked in to the Yakima system but was not sure if the sun roof would be able to be used from their fit guide information, so went with Thule and am using a combination of Thule crossbars and some of my existing Yakima racks.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am ordering Whispbars from Rack Attack. The bars themselves are far quieter, and they accept Yakima and Thule accessories. In the past, using the Thule Aero Bars, I have had to use a fairing to minimize wind noise on my Touareg and X3. And the fairing really adds a lot of clutter, so I am looking forward to my new setup when my '11 Avant arrives next week.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Curious with which option you went with as I will need to buy some cross bars in the near future. Flush bar or through bar?
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

If I don't go with the Whispbar crossbars I will end up going with the Thule 460R bars as my other items are Thule on the other car.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Thule Racks Installed on A4 Avant