A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Touch Free Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch Free Car Washes

Greetings folks,
Probably like many of you, I am thinking about how I am going to care for my A4 during the impending winter months. I have only handwashed my vehicle since it's delivery a few months back.

I tested out a touch free place called "Laser Wash" today on my wife's car. Lots of suds and high pressure water. This is one of those self-serve deals where your car stays still and wash apparatus moves around your vehicle. Had the option for underspray as well.

Any reason to be concerned about using this kind of high pressure car wash? Could this damage the paint?

Unfortunately, it did a pretty mediocre job cleaning and drying the car. Seems like touch free has it's drawbacks. Though, I can imagine it will be a nice option to remove salt and road grime during the cold winter months.

Experience with these car washes? Suggestions? Concerns?

-- plA4keeps
Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plA4keeps
Greetings folks,
Probably like many of you, I am thinking about how I am going to care for my A4 during the impending winter months. I have only handwashed my vehicle since it's delivery a few months back.

I tested out a touch free place called "Laser Wash" today on my wife's car. Lots of suds and high pressure water. This is one of those self-serve deals where your car stays still and wash apparatus moves around your vehicle. Had the option for underspray as well.

Any reason to be concerned about using this kind of high pressure car wash? Could this damage the paint?

Unfortunately, it did a pretty mediocre job cleaning and drying the car. Seems like touch free has it's drawbacks. Though, I can imagine it will be a nice option to remove salt and road grime during the cold winter months.

Experience with these car washes? Suggestions? Concerns?

-- plA4keeps

That idea most defiantly sounds better then sharp plastic edges slapping away at your beautiful paint job and car. I am in Rochester right now. If I had a place like that I would defiantly go to it. Not very often but when I start to see some mediocre dirt and salt I would go there.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For a non-contact wash to get your car clean if will have to use a strong Traffic Film Remover. The problem with TFR's is generally then remove everything including any wax or protection on your car.... in fact that's the same as most cheap car washes.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Touchless washes are only good to get a layer of salt off you vehicle in the winter (which is obviously better than leaving it on your car) but they do not even come close to getting your car clean. The underbody wash is great, because that is where the salt will do the most damage. We have car washes that have heated bays where I live. You can pull in shut both doors and it warms up to around 70 inside. You just cant leave your car outside overnight when it is freezing.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

they dont do a good job of cleaning your car, just run a cloth over it afterwards and you will see how much dusk or dirt is left behind.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Touch Free Car Washes

jknownz,
There are a few Laser Washes in Rochester, NY.

Yup, it did a pretty mediocre job. It just couldn't get the sticky stuff off both paint and glass. But, I imagine that it would be a decent way to keep salt off the vehicle and do the underspray. After the Laser Wash, I went over the vehicle with Griot's Garage "Speed Shine" (which takes about 10-15 minutes). The combination worked quite nicely.

A heated car wash bay. That sounds perfect. I will have to research this further.

Still wondering about my original question. Could the high pressure water could damage the finish? Or is the pressure similar to all car washes?

-- plA4keeps

Originally Posted by jkownz
That idea most defiantly sounds better then sharp plastic edges slapping away at your beautiful paint job and car. I am in Rochester right now. If I had a place like that I would defiantly go to it. Not very often but when I start to see some mediocre dirt and salt I would go there.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plA4keeps
Still wondering about my original question. Could the high pressure water could damage the finish? Or is the pressure similar to all car washes?
Would it be really worse than driving +200km/h on the autobahn in rain?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mart242
Would it be really worse than driving +200km/h on the autobahn in rain?
Wtb 1x autobahn in the US.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

My front wheels were in dire need of cleaning last week. But then it rained heavily for a week. After constant commute, I was surprised to see the wheels were clean. Free wash from the hwy spray and water bounce.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Rain, rain, rain

Ryan,
Boy can I related to your post. My area is also receiving tons of rain and cold weather. Last, weekend I was able to squeeze in a wash, but not the wheels. I'm really looking forward to giving them a good cleaning!

-- plA4keeps

Originally Posted by Ryan1524
My front wheels were in dire need of cleaning last week. But then it rained heavily for a week. After constant commute, I was surprised to see the wheels were clean. Free wash from the hwy spray and water bounce.

Quick Reply: Touch Free Car Washes