A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Urgent help. Can't start the engine with mechanical key, alarm goes off all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent help. Can't start the engine with mechanical key, alarm goes off all the time?

Hi guys

Hope you can help me a bit here as I'm desperate at moment. I have an A4 saloon 2016

I have 2 key fobs, the main one and the spare one. When I try the main one, it doesn't work. So I pulled the mechanical key out, and as soon as I opened the door the alarm went off. There's a message on the console saying hold the key to the designated area, I guess it is the center tray as there is a key+wireless symbol. Alarm still going on, I continue trying to press the start button along with the break, and nothing happens. Alarm still blasting and all the emergency lights in the car are on.

So I go back home and take the spare key fob, I tried opening the car with it and it doesn't work either (bit surprising there's no battery on either?), tried the mechanical one, placed the key in the same slot, and same situation. Alarm on, can't start the engine.

So I'm a bit stuck here, don't seem to be able to start the car, not sure if I'm placing the key in the wrong place, I'll try again tomorrow as neighbours already started with the funny looks after the alarm was on for half an hour, will upload a picture if needed?

This is a company leasing therefore I can'y simply go to the garage/dealer the process will take days or weeks to actually be able to take the car/keys for service. Thank you everyone.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

btw, I have checked the owner's manual and don't seem to find any relevant info on how to actually get it working, I guess I must be placing the key wrongly or something
Old 07-06-2020, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Stupid question but have you checked the battery in the main key fob?
The following users liked this post:
diego gg (07-07-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I imagine the mechanical key will get you into the car, in the event of a dead battery. But nothing more. If the car cannot interact with the battery powered key fob electronics, it's not going to do anything with the security system or engine.

You're in the UK, a 2016, are you sure it's a B8 and not a B9? Because "key+wireless icon in the center tray"? Doesn't sound like a B8.

Is there not a slot no the dash to the right of the steering wheel for you to insert the key fob for starting the car?
diego gg (07-07-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If it is a B9, it looks like the picture. (Maybe better knowledge in that thread.) My stupid question would be are you putting the key "housing" at the indicated area (and not the mechanical key)?
I would expect that the B9 key communication with this area does not need a battery in the remote key, while the normal "long range" communication does.

diego gg (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is now resolved.

Thank you everyone, your comments really helped me to sort it out even though I posted on the wrong subforum, perhaps an admin can moved this to the B9.

Just a brief summary in case it would be of any help to others (This applies to the A4 2016 B9)

- Alarm goes off because last time I used the car, I locked it with the remote control. As I opened it with the mechanical key this time, the alarm goes off as a security measure.
- The key has to be placed in the center tray (refer to picture above), you will see a sign with a key and a wireless icon.
- I think the problem yesterday was that either I was not placing the key in the right "position" perhaps close enough to the actual designed place. I assume this works through RFID sensor/readers, the car reads some info on the key fob then recognises it as legit.
- Another potential explanation, is that I placed the key in the right place, but I was not holding the break/clutch at the same time as pressing the start button
- I guess both key fobs I have (main and spare) are out of battery that's why I can't open the car remotely with any

regards