A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

US Audi in UK??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US Audi in UK??

I've seen some posts from audi owners from UK so I'm hopping someone may be able to help me with my dilemma. This summer I'm moving to UK (business assignment). However, I've purchased my A4 P+ MT6 last August and having a hard time parting with it. So, if anyone here has had any experience or knows anything about importing US Audi to UK it would be very appreciated. I already have some idea about car transportation, however I can't find many details about what kind of modifications on the car will it need to be performed in order to be legal for UK roads. Also, is it hard to sell LHD car in UK (upon the end of the assignment - in about 2 years)?
Thanks much
dasina
Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dasina
I've seen some posts from audi owners from UK so I'm hopping someone may be able to help me with my dilemma. This summer I'm moving to UK (business assignment). However, I've purchased my A4 P+ MT6 last August and having a hard time parting with it. So, if anyone here has had any experience or knows anything about importing US Audi to UK it would be very appreciated. I already have some idea about car transportation, however I can't find many details about what kind of modifications on the car will it need to be performed in order to be legal for UK roads. Also, is it hard to sell LHD car in UK (upon the end of the assignment - in about 2 years)?
Thanks much
dasina
I don't have definitive answer for you, but regarding legality of U.S. cars on UK roads, I highly doubt you'll run into trouble. Emission standards in the U.S. are higher, and the bumper seems to be designed with both the U.S. and European markets in mind (different pedestrian crash standards).

As far as I know, there are certain tanks that are legal on UK roads (yes, tanks, the military ones). I don't think an A4 should have a problem.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a big US base at Lakenheath (near Cambridge/Newmarket) in the UK. You see loads of American cars driving round British public roads around the base surrounding area. I'm not sure if they have special dispensation for abnormalities compared to British spec cars (eg all turn signals are orange).

Obviously, headlights are an issue as they'll be pointing the wrong way and left hand drive isn't ideal on British roads.

Sorry I can't help more - I'd suggest hunting round a little on the net... there should be some mil resources/forums and people moving to Lakenheath.

Hope that helps,

John.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWC1506
I don't have definitive answer for you, but regarding legality of U.S. cars on UK roads, I highly doubt you'll run into trouble. Emission standards in the U.S. are higher, and the bumper seems to be designed with both the U.S. and European markets in mind (different pedestrian crash standards).

As far as I know, there are certain tanks that are legal on UK roads (yes, tanks, the military ones). I don't think an A4 should have a problem.
To permanently import the car you would have to ensure the vehicle passes the SVA. The A4 being of German origin meets all of the requirements except for the lack of amber rear turn signals and re-aiming of the headlights for LHD traffic(you already have the required rear fog and side blinker repeaters). Retrofitting the headlights may be expensive, halogens just require blackout stickers on the lenses. HID lighting would require LHD housings which aren't cheap, the only exception is if you have a Canadian A4 with the adaptive lights, then switching to LHD is done at a push of a button. Tail lights aren't too expensive to replace if you don't have LEDs, and it should be fairly easy to wire. Eurospec LED tails would be very expensive and there may be programming issues with the onboard computer.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The US SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement) with most countries allows importation of American military private vehicles. Occasionally a soldier can sell his vehicle in a foreign country, but it is highly discouraged.

I send vehicles to Europe all the time on temporary importation permits. These are usually good for 6 months, and if violated subject you to VAT of 15 to 20%. These are units used in film production, and usualy come back. (I did wreck one in Italy. Opsie)

For a two year assignment, you'd be money ahead to sell on this side and buy on that side.

Don't be suprised though, Audi in the US is cheap to buy, drive, and insure. Our UK friends pay about double to get the car on the road, and the cost of petrol will buckle your knees. Insurance (called a cover) is out of this world. Deductibles are so high most minor accidents are all on you.

Last edited by Moviela; 02-17-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Exactly what I was afraid of . Anyways, thank you guys.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dasina
Exactly what I was afraid of . Anyways, thank you guys.
Having lived in the UK myself for 1-1/2 years on work assignment (2007-2009 near Grimsby) I can also say that if you don't have any UK-based credit history or residence history it is nearly impossible to get insurance or a loan. I was fortunate that my company leased my vehicle for me. When I investigated getting a 2nd car for my wife the leasing agent my company got our cars through wouldn't even consider it. You'll likely have to pay cash for a car to skirt that sort of problem but I don't know how you'd get over the insurance obstacle unless your company is willing to insure you. This is also neglecting the fact that the cost of a car is astronomical when translated to US dollars. I would've been spending over $800/month for even the cheapest of cheap cars back when the exchange rate was $2.00/£. These days it's more favorable, but you'll still end up spending a TON of money compared to the same class of vehicle in the US.

Then, there's the UK driving license...

The big perk of my UK assignment was that it paid for the Audi I'm driving now.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dirt - I'm originally from Hull... and lived there for 21 years....

If you can get a car that can be converted to UK spec, there may be a market for it in Europe if there isn't in the UK (to be honest, nobody will buy a LHD in a RHD market). However, the problem with Europe is that they use km/h and not mi/h.....

As for credit, get an account with one of the big banks that has presence in US and UK. I'm with HSBC but there are of course others. It can smooth things along where otherwise you'd be starting from scratch credit wise!

If you have a clean record driving over here, get a letter from your insurance company. It might make a difference in the UK between being treated as a novice driver or not. Insurance is a little bit of a lottery depending on where you live. I had a BMW Z3 in the UK and the insurance was comparable to what I pay over here.... but I'm in NJ and according to more qualified people NJ is top of the insurance rates in the US!

Have fun in the UK. I still miss decent beer, curry and fish and chips.

John.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by matthewsjl
Dirt - I'm originally from Hull... and lived there for 21 years....
I lived in Barrow-upon-Humber, just south of Hull and five minutes from the Humber Bridge. I thoroughly enjoyed myself there, there was a lot going for it that the US simply doesn't have (things within walking distance for instance).
Old 02-17-2010, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, such as walking to the local boozer and getting pissed

John.