A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Vibration - mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibration - mounts?

My car has developed a pretty significant vibration. Shifting from P to R to D causes a change in the vibration with R being the roughest.

Two shops have said it's the motor mounts. One told me though that my 2009 does not have fluid mounts so no visual check is possible and they do have sensors but no errors are coming up. Neither told me specifically that my transmission mount needed to be replaced and both just quoted replacing everything at roughly $1500

Do the motor mounts indeed have sensors telling you when to replace them? I hate to replace things that may not need to be replaced especially since this car has had significant repairs and costs in it's life (oil consumption issue, turbo went, etc.)

Is it possible the issue is more the transmission mount? I don't otherwise experience what others say you should notice with bad motor mounts (engine feeling like it's lurching coming to a stop, etc.)

Car has 63K miles.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motor mounts should be the fluid ones. I believe they have electrical connections to stiffen when needed and that sometimes gets stuck on, which they must be looking for in the scan, but it's a bit out of my wheelhouse. It sounds logical that it is engine mounts, especially if they are original, but the transmission mount shouldn't be the issue as that shouldn't fail. You can do the transmission mount yourself in about 15 minutes with the parts from ECS tuning or 034 motorsports if you want to eliminate that as a cause, you just put the car up on stands or ramps and go.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dr Awesome
Motor mounts should be the fluid ones. I believe they have electrical connections to stiffen when needed and that sometimes gets stuck on, which they must be looking for in the scan, but it's a bit out of my wheelhouse. It sounds logical that it is engine mounts, especially if they are original, but the transmission mount shouldn't be the issue as that shouldn't fail. You can do the transmission mount yourself in about 15 minutes with the parts from ECS tuning or 034 motorsports if you want to eliminate that as a cause, you just put the car up on stands or ramps and go.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the vibration in your steering wheel? If so, I have the same issue and it is a known problem. There is a technical service bulletin for it (not a recall). It is a power steering hose issue and maybe even the pump.

In my car (2009 A4) the vibration is a low parking lots speeds and turns, usually when I am backing out of a space. It seems to go away once I am back in D.

I don't think it is anything other than an annoyance and not a safety issue.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Walletclan
Is the vibration in your steering wheel? If so, I have the same issue and it is a known problem. There is a technical service bulletin for it (not a recall). It is a power steering hose issue and maybe even the pump.

In my car (2009 A4) the vibration is a low parking lots speeds and turns, usually when I am backing out of a space. It seems to go away once I am back in D.

I don't think it is anything other than an annoyance and not a safety issue.
It's the whole car. My front plate bracket visible vibrates, the mirrors, etc. If there's a bottle of water in the car, it's like that scene in Jurassic park where you can see the water moving as the trex stomps around. It's pretty severe, esp in reverse. It mostly goes away when driving though.