A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely interesting. Mobilehavoc, the uk article you linked to states dynamic steering is "available" on all models 190ps (200hp?) and greater. At the same time, Audi's site states it is available only on vehicles with Drive Select http://www.audiusa.com/com/brand/en/...g.browser.html

I always thought our non-Drive Select cars don't have dynamic steering and have basic servotronic http://www.audiusa.com/com/brand/en/...c.browser.html steering.

Based on how dynamic steering operates, it seems almost possible that at low speeds, the shuddering sensation could be coming from the inner ellipse connecting and disconnecting with the outer steering gear...but then, if non-drive select vehicles don't have dynamic steering, not sure where the fault could be except from the PS pump.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by userbbc
Definitely interesting. Mobilehavoc, the uk article you linked to states dynamic steering is "available" on all models 190ps (200hp?) and greater. At the same time, Audi's site states it is available only on vehicles with Drive Select http://www.audiusa.com/com/brand/en/...g.browser.html

I always thought our non-Drive Select cars don't have dynamic steering and have basic servotronic http://www.audiusa.com/com/brand/en/...c.browser.html steering.

Based on how dynamic steering operates, it seems almost possible that at low speeds, the shuddering sensation could be coming from the inner ellipse connecting and disconnecting with the outer steering gear...but then, if non-drive select vehicles don't have dynamic steering, not sure where the fault could be except from the PS pump.
I'm pretty sure that all 2009 Audi A4s have "dynamic steering" which is essentially servotronic speed-sensitive steering. ADS adds the ability to customize this for Dynamic and Comfort modes, etc. For people without ADS, I think it's no different than leaving ADS on "Auto".

Maybe someone who's driven an A4 with ADS and without can chime in but I'm pretty sure all our cars have what is outlined in the articles/video except only ADS allows you to customize it.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

did another search on this forum and found
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...speed+steering

I'm guessing we don't get the dynamic ratio steering without ADS but still get servotronic's power steering level speed adjustments. There was one other post that related the shuddering to the central diff. But then, why doesn't it occur on my wife's B7 and (for me at least) why does it occur mainly when the car is cold?

Btw, mobilehavoc, nice choice in vehicle...didn't notice the specs in your signature until now...basically same options on my end without the tips. Sad part though, where I am in ny/nj, just about every B8 on the road is black. Bittersweet impressions of comradery and lack of exclusivity.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I experience the same thing, only at stand still or a couple mph pulling out of my driveway. Strangely, I've never noticed it after the car has effectively been "warmed up" but I'll try to pay attention from now on to see if it's only something that occurs at start up.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by userbbc
did another search on this forum and found
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...speed+steering

I'm guessing we don't get the dynamic ratio steering without ADS but still get servotronic's power steering level speed adjustments. There was one other post that related the shuddering to the central diff. But then, why doesn't it occur on my wife's B7 and (for me at least) why does it occur mainly when the car is cold?

Btw, mobilehavoc, nice choice in vehicle...didn't notice the specs in your signature until now...basically same options on my end without the tips. Sad part though, where I am in ny/nj, just about every B8 on the road is black. Bittersweet impressions of comradery and lack of exclusivity.
As I suspected, for those of us without ADS, we essentially get the same variable steering functionality as those with ADS with it set to "Auto". To my point, I think we all have that variable steering but the difference is we can't control it since it's Auto.

I believe this goes works the same with transmission/suspension and ADS too...the "Auto" setting on those is the same as having a car without ADS. The advantage of ADS is being able to change those to "Dynamic", "Comfort" or "Individual"....which you obviously can't do without ADS.

Thanks, I'm in NY/NJ too and I've seen a couple of Silver, Grey and White 2009 A4s actually so not too bad but yes Black is popular color. Strangely (to me), quite a few 2009 A4s I've seen have been Premium trim (no LED DRLs).
Old 06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blake P
I experience the same thing, only at stand still or a couple mph pulling out of my driveway. Strangely, I've never noticed it after the car has effectively been "warmed up" but I'll try to pay attention from now on to see if it's only something that occurs at start up.
I'm starting to think it has something to do with road surface too...I nearly always get it in my parking spot in the garage which has a crappy surface whether I'm heading out for the first time in a few days or coming back after a long drive. However I tried turning the wheel back and forth rapdily at low speeds on other surfaces (smooth finished roads, parking lots) and I can't feel a thing.

Maybe the car is just overly sensitive to road surface??!?!?!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actually, if it is a PS issue, it may make sense that the shudder is more prominent on rough surfaces that require greater force to turn the wheel. I took a look under the hood and it's just great that the power steering reservoir happens to be opaque.

As well, not sure if it's the same issue, but pushing the car a little into a curve (eg. rt3 west to parkway south when there's no traffic), there is also a faint shudder, though at this point I'm hoping it's because of the tires and not a weak PS pump.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The reason I don't think it's a PS issue (or I hope it isn't) is because I just had the 5k service done about 300 miles (2 weeks) ago and they check all fluids, etc. Also the issue wasn't as prominent, although it existed, prior to the 5K service. You know what else they do at 5K service?? Rotate the tires....which is why I think it's the tires and sensitivity to road surfaces rather than PS issue.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That oblong cam that makes the teeth grab is genius... increases the steering ratio on the front side...

Last edited by Jay 4R; 06-02-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first i glanced over this topic, but now that i'm reading this third page i'm starting to think of something that happens in my car quite frequently. Above, many of you have mentioned rough road surface, which got me thinking of a shudder i seem to get maybe once a week or so, however it is not constant like i think what some of you guys are getting. The first time it happened, i thought it was a flat tire, in the front right. Even my passengers felt it. Not only did the steering wheel shake, it seemed like the whole car reverberated a little, and it must have if my passengers mentioned something to me (i had already been aware something was up though). However, my tire monitors didn't post any message, the road was newly paved, i was going a steady 75 on cruise control. I stopped, did not see anything. I drove on- it came back, but then went away. This comes and goes, maybe once a week, more or less, on no particular road, usually lasting for a mile or two at the very most. I have just learned to expect it. I don't think this is what you guys are experiencing, but i thought i would share anyways.

Quick Reply: Weird steering wheel shudder/noise at extremely slow speed??!