A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

What is normal oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 A4 is using 1qt every 400 miles... Dealer is saying they won't cover anything because the car has 84k on it and not 80k...
Old 12-26-2015, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

OK today's update. Checked oil cold on the MMI and it would not read. No info available. I then checked the dipstick and it showed full so I assume the reading on the stick is not that accurate. Last night with warm engine and after 10 minutes it still read 3/4 full. OK I'm done so for the 1st oil change it will go to the dealer and have them record on the service the level of the oil just for history.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
OK today's update. Checked oil cold on the MMI and it would not read. No info available. I then checked the dipstick and it showed full so I assume the reading on the stick is not that accurate. Last night with warm engine and after 10 minutes it still read 3/4 full. OK I'm done so for the 1st oil change it will go to the dealer and have them record on the service the level of the oil just for history.
Engine needs to be at operating temp for the MMI to give a reading.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad to see someone reads the OM.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, I've had my '09 A4 for about 3 months and I've had to add approx. 2qts in about 1700 miles. To clarify: I bought the car in MD @ 49,4xx miles; it was a Lexus dealer and he said oil was changed "recently"; I didnt care since I prefer to use my brand of oil/filter on my schedule; MMI said level was Max. A week after return back to NYC area (about 500 miles of driving), oil light ("add a qt; can continue to drive") came on..
I was worried. Checked MMI and it said MIN; added my first QT of oil. Checked level and it said Full/Max. Obviously, the system is inaccurate since, 1 QT should not bring it from MIN to MAX.
All was well until earlier in Dec; same Oil "msg" as before; I was at 50,325mls; MMI showed almost MIN; I added 1/2 Qt. I didnt check level; 1 week later at exactly 51K miles, "Oil msg" again. This time I checked level (said MIN) and then added almost a full quart. MMI now reads "almost" MAX. I'm worried about too much oil in engine, since I drive mostly on weekends; maybe 600 miles/month. Based on my estimate, I'm adding 1 Qt/ every 600-800 miles. I'm using Liqui-Moly oil, so it's becoming expensive to top up monthly-sigh.
I'm going to my local dealer in a week or so, for an oil change and to document the consumption (I have pictures on my mobile of when the light came & milage/time/level/etc).
On a side note- anyone here recommend a NY/NJ area dealer that is sensitive to this issue and will escalate the proper solution??
Old 12-29-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 384 Likes on 345 Posts

GT, welcome aboard! Did you have an opportunity to research this car and determine if it had an oil consumption problem PRIOR to purchase?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GT854T5
Well, I've had my '09 A4 for about 3 months and I've had to add approx. 2qts in about 1700 miles. To clarify: I bought the car in MD @ 49,4xx miles; it was a Lexus dealer and he said oil was changed "recently"; I didnt care since I prefer to use my brand of oil/filter on my schedule; MMI said level was Max. A week after return back to NYC area (about 500 miles of driving), oil light ("add a qt; can continue to drive") came on..
I was worried. Checked MMI and it said MIN; added my first QT of oil. Checked level and it said Full/Max. Obviously, the system is inaccurate since, 1 QT should not bring it from MIN to MAX.
All was well until earlier in Dec; same Oil "msg" as before; I was at 50,325mls; MMI showed almost MIN; I added 1/2 Qt. I didnt check level; 1 week later at exactly 51K miles, "Oil msg" again. This time I checked level (said MIN) and then added almost a full quart. MMI now reads "almost" MAX. I'm worried about too much oil in engine, since I drive mostly on weekends; maybe 600 miles/month. Based on my estimate, I'm adding 1 Qt/ every 600-800 miles. I'm using Liqui-Moly oil, so it's becoming expensive to top up monthly-sigh.
I'm going to my local dealer in a week or so, for an oil change and to document the consumption (I have pictures on my mobile of when the light came & milage/time/level/etc).
On a side note- anyone here recommend a NY/NJ area dealer that is sensitive to this issue and will escalate the proper solution??
The difference between min and max is 1 quart. The engine takes 4.8 quarts with a filter change. Most put in 5 quarts. You have the oil consumption problem and will most likely need a piston change. Good luck at the dealer.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
GT, welcome aboard! Did you have an opportunity to research this car and determine if it had an oil consumption problem PRIOR to purchase?
I haven't found a dealer or a seller who would tell you if their car was burning oil. We sold our 2009 with 75K miles to a dealer and after the sale told them it used 1 quart in 2800 miles +/- and if he wanted the future owner to call me I gave him my number. No one called and the car was sold a week later. Our carfax was clean and there were no other service records as I would change the oil every 5K miles.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I haven't found a dealer or a seller who would tell you if their car was burning oil. We sold our 2009 with 75K miles to a dealer and after the sale told them it used 1 quart in 2800 miles +/- and if he wanted the future owner to call me I gave him my number. No one called and the car was sold a week later. Our carfax was clean and there were no other service records as I would change the oil every 5K miles.
I have recently bought Audi a4 B8 2008 and it looks like it is burning 2800-3000 miles/litre but unfortunately i don't have the previous owner's details so not sure how it burn from the beginning.

- Can you please let me know how about your car, you have sold it because it started burning oil?
- My car is already reached 98K miles, is there a chance it will burn more oil in few miles ?

Just thinking to have this car for couple of year or sell it back!! any advise please.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sasikals26
I have recently bought Audi a4 B8 2008 and it looks like it is burning 2800-3000 miles/litre but unfortunately i don't have the previous owner's details so not sure how it burn from the beginning.

- Can you please let me know how about your car, you have sold it because it started burning oil?
- My car is already reached 98K miles, is there a chance it will burn more oil in few miles ?

Just thinking to have this car for couple of year or sell it back!! any advise please.
We sold it because 75K miles is my personal cut off mileage that I sell any of my cars. They all burn oil but to a varied degree. 2800 miles on a liter is considered great but it usually gets worse. You will see others claim that they do not use oil but the proof is as simple as looking at the exhaust tips. You need to decide if you want to keep or sell your car .

Quick Reply: What is normal oil consumption