A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

this is why AWD vs. 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this is why AWD vs. 2WD

Old 12-18-2010, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it actually snow in Sacramento? That's twice int he last few years. Global warming my ***. lol

I'm guessing you have all-seasons on the Audi and summers on the BMW? I only say that because my driveway is a LOT steeper and on Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds my M3 doesn't have any problems getting up the driveway, even when it's icy.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Did it actually snow in Sacramento? That's twice int he last few years. Global warming my ***. lol

I'm guessing you have all-seasons on the Audi and summers on the BMW? I only say that because my driveway is a LOT steeper and on Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds my M3 doesn't have any problems getting up the driveway, even when it's icy.
A bit off topic, but.....

At least the snow was far away from San Francisco (which is where I would adore to live in someday). I am sick to death of the awful traffic and weather and often subpar living conditions coupled with an overall cost of living that is outrageously expensive (Long Island's and New York City's overall cost of living is almost as high as California's overall cost of living) on Long Island, New York. California's living conditions are often far superior to New York's living conditions.

FWIW, Long Island traffic (espscially Hempstead Turnpike, Long Island Expressway, Meadowbrook Parkway, Middle Country Road-only the stretch from Route 111 to William Floyd Parkway and Nesconset Highway) is just as bas as the traffic in the following parts of California: the City and County of Los Angeles and the Cities and five Counties surrounding the City and County of Los Angeles.

Hempstead Turnpike, Long Island Expressway, Meadowbrook Parkway, Middle Country Road (again, only the stretch from Route 111 to William Floyd Parkway) and Nesconset Highway are the City and County of Los Angeles and the Cities and five Counties surrounding the City and County of Los Angeles without the following: palm trees, smog and tall buildings.

Other than the following: the City and County of Los Angeles and the Cities and five Counties surrounding the City and County of Los Angeles, California traffic (including San Francisco) is much better than Long Island traffic. However, Santa Cruz traffic is almost as bad as Long Island traffic, unfortunately . At least Santa Cruz's living conditions are often far superior to New York's living conditions with an overall cost of living that is always only marginally higher than the overall cost of living on Long Island and in New York City, fortunately.

Last edited by Audi S5 TC; 12-18-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not just AWD Vs 2WD though.

It's AWD Vs RWD.

There's no weight over the rear driven wheels hence the issue.

A FWD (again only 2WD) would have coped better.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

The main issue is that the BMW is RWD and likely has tires that are poor in the snow. I made it through six Illinois and Vermont winters with a FWD car that certainly would have had no issue with that minuscule amount of snow.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
The main issue is that the BMW is RWD and likely has tires that are poor in the snow. I made it through six Illinois and Vermont winters with a FWD car that certainly would have had no issue with that minuscule amount of snow.
Thereis more then enough weight over the rear of the BMW. This is all about tires. My M has never been stuck. Also, when going uphill a lot of the weight transfers to the rear to RWD will benefit here. I'm even running WAY wider tires than BMW recommends and I haven't had any issues.

Having said that. AWD with all-seasons will be able to cope better that a RWD on summers. BMW is currently using run-flats and summer tires as OEMs and neither are worth a crap in cold weather, let alone snow. I think only their SAVs have an all-weather tire option but I'd have to look again to be sure.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

You're right that it is likely about tires, but there is no denying that RWD is going to be worse in the snow than FWD or AWD with the same tires.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
You're right that it is likely about tires, but there is no denying that RWD is going to be worse in the snow than FWD or AWD with the same tires.
I'm disagreeing. Wholeheartedly, in fact. Not just to be contrary though. Until I got my M, every car I'd EVER driven in the snow was FWD and even with the M being RWD AND on 235s up front and 255s in the back it still handles better in the snow than anything I've ever owned on nothing wider than a 205.

I DO agree that AWD on snows is better than RWD on snows, but IME RWD OWNS FWD in the snow. And it's not even close. Recovery is faster and with the workload spread out over two different sets of tires there's a higher margin for error. FWDs have the front wheels doing everything and in low grip situations it's VERY easy to overload them. You can only turn, put down power, and grip so much on one set of tires.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's not my car in that picture... I found that on 6speedonline. Glad to know this started an arguement lol... I just thought this would be a cool ad for Audi
Old 12-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default AWD in vidéo

Hi,

look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyKstZ6a5ag&NR=1

Quick Reply: this is why AWD vs. 2WD