A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
I'd probably start by running a scan in VCDS while the issue was live and see if anything is reported by 56-radio or 47-sound system. It sounds like a wire crimp issue, but that it restores without further physical action seems curious. It could be a broken wire inside the original wire where the splice was made. Or maybe an issue with the crimp terminals on those wires at the 32-pin plug end now.
Thanks for the info, I see you on here helping tons of people, that's awesome. Is the VCDS scan something I can do myself with something I can get off of Amazon or something or do I need to go to dealer? Also, I read somewhere that these head units throwing codes can cause weird issues until they get cleared...thought being "I had a short or something originally, and made it throw a code, now the short is fixed, but the code still lingering is causing this weird issue" sort of thing...wondering if you have seen something like that, and if so would clearing the codes possible put everything back to normal. If there is something I can buy the run that code, can that same something clear the code as well? Do you have a Venmo or a Paypal I could throw you a few dollars for the help? It is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,612 Posts

VCDS is the diagnostic software from Ross-Tech. It used to be called VAG-COM (guess VAG took issue with the name), and is basically an attempt to provide a quality personal owner solution to having to go to the dealership every time an idiot light comes on to find out what is really going on. The software is a free download, but only works with their cables; that's their licensing mechanism. Runs on Windows, so you'd want a laptop for portability. https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/ $200, but considering one time diag fee at a dealership is $160, it pays for itself the first time. Useful for other operations like resetting the service reminder interval (if you do your own oil changes), managing the electronic parking brake (if you do your own brakes), redoing the headlamp level adaptation, etc.

There's since then been others added to the mix. Large multi-vendor product makers like Autel, of course. Then lower cost mobile app based solutions like Carista and OBDeleven (by VoltasIT). VCDS will always be the baseline experience expectation. OBDeleven for example is fine for looking at stuff, but not so good at producing a scan log you can share easily on the forum, and is terrible at doing data logging. But it's got some bells and whistles for configuration and modification, if you have a B9, if you have their $50/year pro subscription.
https://caristaapp.com/
https://obdeleven.com/en/products-pa...&id_currency=3

Honestly, VCDS in the garage and OBDeleven in the glove box (never leave it sitting in the OBD-II port when not being used) would ideally be the real way to go. That way if something pops in your day to day, you can check it in the field with your mobile. Then dig into it when you are back home with VCDS on the laptop. But note, others have pointed out, if you have no Internet access on your mobile device at that moment (no Wi-Fi or no cellular data), OBDeleven won't even run. Ross-Tech has their HEX-NET, but that's a lot of cash and I'm not sure I'd want to leave it in the glove box full time. So the mobiles are your cheaper (and maybe more convenient) entry point to read/clear codes/live data, but VCDS is my preference.

Yeah, there are some errors which cause restrained operation until the code is cleared or self clears (usually a DTC will have a set number of "problem free cycles" after which it self clears). And yeah, any of these "read code" scan tool products can clear codes too.

Note, on the B8 J525 amps, there's four varieties. They all have the 32-pin plug (but the pinout is not always the same). Then there's Concert vs MMI (MOST optical port = MMI version). And then there's standard vs B&O (extra 18-pin plug = B&O version). So with concert, you won't have the optical port. For the standard vs B&O, the pinout on the 32-pin is not the same. Standard (no extra 18-pin plug) has the head unit low voltage lines on 23-31 of the 32-pin. B&O has them on the 18-pin plug. I mention because I didn't know if standard had GALA; I thought that was a B&O thing (extra mic in the overhead unit).
Old 10-24-2023, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Where do you find these pinout diagrams?
Old 10-25-2023, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

erwin, either erwin.audiusa.com or erwin.audi.com depending on your location. Pay for a day, get all the PDFs for your VIN.
Old 10-25-2023, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I can’t figure out how to get to it using the usa website
Old 10-25-2023, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's been 7 years or so since I was on there. You register, you pay for a day pass, once you're in, Service Information, Vehicle Identification, put in your VIN, pick a category, search, docs below. I can't do a search since I don't have an active subscription, so can't say exactly how to do it after searching.