A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Your experience with clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Your experience with clear bra?

There are so many different opinions out there regarding clear bra that I figured I'd ask you guys what your experiences have been so far.

I've always been of the opinion that with the price you pay to have it installed, you could have the bumper repainted and looking brand new again. I'm also not the biggest fan of a (slightly) visible line on the hood where the clear bra ends. My drive to work is mostly on two lane rural "backroads" where lots of road debris takes a toll on my front bumper and I end up with plenty of rock chips over time. I'm sure a clear bra would help with the small chips.

My dealer uses Clear Armor, who installs 3M product if I'm not mistaken. Some say 3M is great, others say it has too much "orange peel" effect and can lift the paint if/when removed. There are varying opinions about what the best brand is and what areas should be covered, so I'm hoping you guys can provide some valuable opinions. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Makes me look like I am smuggling raisins under my shirt -- but maybe that's not what you. . .

. . .meant.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts
Default I've had them on 2 Audis but decided to pass on the B8.

If not perfectly installed, in time they start to peel in the corners and look like crap. Also, I've been told by my detail guy who does them that removing later can damage the paint or at best, leave a color difference to the rest of the car.
Finally, you can see them all the time. And I hate the line on the hood.
So, I passed this time.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have one on my B6 A4, but only on the front bumper...

My installer did a custom fit (meaning they weren't pre-cut panels) and you can't even see the seams because they go the same seams of the bumper.

I, too, was worried about getting a seam line on my hood so I chose not to put it on the hood. Now I'm paying the price and getting chipped paint on the front hood from rocks and road debris :-(

I know what you mean about the paint-the-bumper logic but I never have good luck with aftermarket paint jobs. I find the factory paint to always be the best and most resistant to abuse. I find aftermarket paint too soft and twice as likely to chip.

I would do the clear bra thing again, on my bumper.