A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

19" wheels: Delicate and a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 19" wheels: Delicate and a mistake?

I bought a Premium Plus 45 TFSI A4 with 19" wheels and sports suspension. Now I'm regretting it.

I cringe every time I go over a bump, afraid that I'm going to bend the rim. Yesterday I slowed to about 1 mph to cross a train track. In the rearview I saw a truck go over the track without even slowing down. There I was, in a new 50K vehicle, jealous of an old truck.

But then I have to consider: Audi must know what they are doing, right? Of the seven 45 TFSI A4s available in my area at the time I purchased (two months ago), six had 19" wheels. So this is not a rare thing, the 19". A high-end German auto maker is not shipping out 90% of their 45 TFSI's with easily ruined wheels, right?
Old 05-21-2021, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

Right. Curb rash is more of a concern given the low height of the rubber, but unless you live in a place with huge potholes, damage should not be a problem. Slowing to 1 mph for each railroad crossing may get to test your Rear Pre-sense more than it helps the tires and wheels.
The following users liked this post:
brjake (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I myself have been wondering the same thing as well. It wasnt that long ago that most sport cars come with 14" wheels. While i understand the performance advantage, I really prefer smaller rims with taller tires for the reasons you mentioned.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 292 Likes on 250 Posts

Shoot my one vehicle has 19” wheels and that thing hits major potholes with no issues. I also believe a lot of it has to do with the quality of the tires that are on it….
Old 05-21-2021, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's the thing with midwest potholes -- they honestly don't give a **** what size/dimension you're running, they're going to try and take it out regardless. For what it's worth, I'm running 19" wheels on H&R Coils lowered to within 1/8" of the bottom, in downtown Minneapolis, with very little issue whatsoever. Buy proper tires (michelin, continental, etc.) and they should have plenty of sidewall strength/beading that you won't have much if any issues.
DadAudi (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 288 Likes on 233 Posts

and properly inflated tires - note the values on the sticker by the drivers door are assuming max load - I found those far too high; the owners manual provides better recommended values for typical car loadings.
The following 2 users liked this post by A4Audi4Fun:
BeezySBaby (05-21-2021), DadAudi (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 292 Likes on 250 Posts

Proper tires are KEY….
BeezySBaby (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by username4a
I bought a Premium Plus 45 TFSI A4 with 19" wheels and sports suspension. Now I'm regretting it.

I cringe every time I go over a bump, afraid that I'm going to bend the rim. Yesterday I slowed to about 1 mph to cross a train track. In the rearview I saw a truck go over the track without even slowing down. There I was, in a new 50K vehicle, jealous of an old truck.

But then I have to consider: Audi must know what they are doing, right? Of the seven 45 TFSI A4s available in my area at the time I purchased (two months ago), six had 19" wheels. So this is not a rare thing, the 19". A high-end German auto maker is not shipping out 90% of their 45 TFSI's with easily ruined wheels, right?
You get the features that suits your usage. How many times do you go over those train tracks? Even on my SUV, I don't careen over tracks or anything else ***** nilly. Because I value what I spent all this money on, and I'm careful. If it worries you that much, smaller wheels with a taller tire are always an option

Old 05-21-2021, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2560
Right. Curb rash is more of a concern given the low height of the rubber, but unless you live in a place with huge potholes, damage should not be a problem. Slowing to 1 mph for each railroad crossing may get to test your Rear Pre-sense more than it helps the tires and wheels.
Curb rash has nothing to do with the sidewall height. The lower profile tires actually are often better at preventing curb rash, because many have a special reinforcement rib that protrudes beyond the lip of the wheel
Old 05-21-2021, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by username4a
I cringe every time I go over a bump, afraid that I'm going to bend the rim. Yesterday I slowed to about 1 mph to cross a train track. In the rearview I saw a truck go over the track without even slowing down. There I was, in a new 50K vehicle, jealous of an old truck. But then I have to consider: Audi must know what they are doing, right? Of the seven 45 TFSI A4s available in my area at the time I purchased (two months ago), six had 19" wheels. So this is not a rare thing, the 19". A high-end German auto maker is not shipping out 90% of their 45 TFSI's with easily ruined wheels, right?
I agree with you. When I was going to purchase my previous 2009 A4, I took a test drive in an A4 that had 19" wheels. Every little ripple in the road was transmitted to my spine. I decided then and there that I would go no larger than 18" wheels. Even then, I bent 4 aftermarket 18" wheels driving over a wide pothole on the highway.

Quick Reply: 19" wheels: Delicate and a mistake?