A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 A4 - 20K Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 A4 - 20K Service

Hi all,

I own a 2017 PP Quattro. My car is due for 2 year service and currently at 21K miles. I have just made an appointment for factory recommended service at 20K and wondering about the approximate charge for service compared to the Audi Care you could buy.

So, how much did you pay for 20K service without Audi Care?

Did any of you buy Audi Care at 20K/2 year service interval? If you did, how much did it cost?

Also, I do appreciate if any of you could share your 20K service experiences, including any upsells dealerships tried to do and any advice. I remember my 1 year service for 2009 A4, dealer changed both my brake pads and charged me 1400 bucks, I had Audi Care at that point.

-
Tony
Up, up up here in Boston!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Why don't you just call your service department and ask them to quote it? Unless you plan on towing your car down to Minneapolis it really doesn't much matter what dealers around here are charging. Much like the cost of gas, the cost of service in my local area has little affect on yours unless you are planning to move here or something. Dealers are going to charge whatever they have to charge to pay their techs, make rent (which can vary wildly from location to location), and still turn some profit. You are either going to like the local price and pay it or you aren't.

Think of AudiCare like a 4-visit punch card that cannot be transferred to a different vehicle. Will you drive your car far enough (up to 40k more miles) and/or keep it long enough (up to 4 more years) to use all 4 punches, or will you still have 1, 2, maybe even 3 wasted punches when you trade it in or sell it? I am sure your local service department will be happy to put together two quotes so you can compare "buying the punchcard" vs. "paying for punches as you go" at your local dealer's then-current retail prices for each service. You can then make the right choice for your specific situation.

I drive 15,000 miles a year and will keep my car for 6+ years, so I took AudiCare at delivery and rolled it right into my financing. It was an absolute no-brainer.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:54 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not even in the same country as you, but dealer here charged me something like CAD $530 (+tax) for the 2-year service. No upselling, unfortunately (I'd be less grumpy if that price included a bunch of unnecessary items). The cabin air filter alone is like CAD$100...

I came away from this regretting that I did not get Audi Care. Sure, in a 4 year lease, assuming that I am returning it before the 4 year service, I might theoretically save $50-100 (the 3 year service is apparently around CAD$200).

I always assumed that the break even point on AudiCare came on the 5th service; really, you break even big time on the 4th. I think you'd be at CAD$1600+ after the 4th otherwise...
Old 07-23-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course Audi will overcharge you for anything. The Audi Care plan (~$800ish) makes sense if you want to service at the dealer, as it will be about 2X lower cost than a la carte. Going with an independent mechanic is probably the best option, if you can find a good one in your area. Cost of an oil change should be $50, vs. $150 that Audi will charge you.

20k service should be: inspection + oil change ($50) + cabin air filter ($20) + brake fluid ($100). Good luck getting that price from the Audi dealership.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had mine done. The dealership forgot to change the brake fluid. I'm going back just for that soon. I have Audi Care and they didn't try to sell me anything additional.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I had mine done 2 months ago. I didn't know about the break fluid. I don't think my dealer changed the brake fluid (I wish that was the only thing that they've missed...).
Spoiler

Old 07-24-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chych
Of course Audi will overcharge you for anything. The Audi Care plan (~$800ish) makes sense if you want to service at the dealer, as it will be about 2X lower cost than a la carte. Going with an independent mechanic is probably the best option, if you can find a good one in your area. Cost of an oil change should be $50, vs. $150 that Audi will charge you.

20k service should be: inspection + oil change ($50) + cabin air filter ($20) + brake fluid ($100). Good luck getting that price from the Audi dealership.
I agree with you, there is no way I'm paying over $500 for oil change and a cabin filter which you could buy at any auto parts store for 25 bucks, I'll change the filter myself and pay for the oil change everything else is check and inspect
Old 07-24-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PPOPHIL
I agree with you, there is no way I'm paying over $500 for oil change and a cabin filter which you could buy at any auto parts store for 25 bucks, I'll change the filter myself and pay for the oil change everything else is check and inspect
You you don't need to change the brake fluid at 20, 000 miles, and if you did go to a referral service station do it for half the price
Old 07-24-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PPOPHIL
You you don't need to change the brake fluid at 20, 000 miles, and if you did go to a referral service station do it for half the price
There seems to be a lot of differing thoughts on brake fluid changes. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and will suck up moisture over time, which is a bad thing for the braking system. Replacing it every 2 years will ensure it will be fresh, and you won't have problems. You can probably get away with 3-4 years (especially in drier climates), but for warranty's sake, I'd stick with Audi's 2 year recommendation.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I want to mention that at least in California you can get a refund for unused portions of Audi Care.

Quick Reply: 2017 A4 - 20K Service