A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 Daytona Grey Build Thread *LOTS OF PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2017 Daytona Grey Build Thread *LOTS OF PICS*

Hello guys, a lot of you have seen my car since I'm mostly active on FB and IG. I should've started a build thread from the beginning ... but here it is.

I'll just show the most significant moments of my car and update more regularly from now on. [up]

2017 B9 A4 2.0T Quattro Progressiv S-Line in Daytona Grey Metallic Pearl Effect

Here is the mods list:

Full front end Suntek PPF
LED Headlight retrofit (First xenon to LED conversion in NA I believe [])
OEM Black Optics Fog Grilles
OEM Full RS4 Carbon Inlays
Carbnlab Motorsports RS Grille
Custom Brembo GT8 BBK
Stoptech slotted rotors 345x30 (Stock 338x32)
SupremePower 10mm Spacers
OZ Ultraleggera HLT 19x9 ET42 (21lbs each)
Michelin PS4S 255/35
H&R Street Coilovers
034 Strut Tower Bar
034 Turbo Inlet Pipe
034 Transmission Mount and Insert
034 Subframe Mounts
034 Rear Diff Mounts
034 Rear Swaybar
K&N OE Filter
JHM Downpipe
Milltek Black Ceracote 4" Tips
Unitronic Stage 1
RS3 Coilpacks and Sparkplugs
P3 V3 Gauge
OEM MY19 Engine Side Covers
OEM S4 Wheel liners
ECS SS lines
ECS CF Rear Diffuser
ECS CF Front lip overlay
ECS Plastic Engine Cover
ECS Coolant Cap (Waiting for the OEM black one then I'm throwing that out)
ECS Engine and Transmision Shield
OEM Daytona Grey S4 spoiler
CF Front Lip
REV 9 Intercooler

To be installed:
Turbosmart DV
034 Turbo Muffler Delete
OEM black coolant cap

Now on to the pictures!

Delivery Day

Couple things I did that's not shown: All trim blacked out, 034 springs, RS grille

Painted Calipers

Powdercoated the stock 19 Flower Pedal Wheels

Had a flat so tested out some peelers

My old collection

This is a pretty significant point of the car, I converted the headlights from the ugly Xenons to LEDs, being the first car I had no support, and was pretty tough and expensive.
But it is done and oh so worth it.

Some winter shots

Ran some custom 2 tone powdercoated S5 rotors 19x9 ET33 on 265/35 PS4S

PPF being redone. Doing it the right way, no pre cuts.

Another big project on this car, BBK. I've always had a fetish for BBK, so I went and sourced some calipers and made it work. This is when the S4 just rolled out so there wasn't many ways of getting the S4 Akebonos 6 pot other than buying brand new.

I found some infamous 17z 6 pot and wanted to make it work, however I needed radial mount calipers since the spindle of the B9 is shaped weirdly that in order to make the 17zs to work, Id need like 400mm disc. So I sold those. The guy that was making my brackets had some Brembo GT8s lying around, which is radially mounted, so I bought those and got to work.

Brake Disc wise I chose last gen S4/S5 size disc, slightly bigger at 345x30. Reason behind is my car wasn't fast, and I don't track, using 365+ will look good, but the added weight isnt worth it. Plus 345x30 has so many options, which I like. I chose Stoptech's slotted rotors paired with Hawks HPS 5.0 pads. Must say, the initial bite is not as good as OEM, but once I step on it, man do they ever grab.

The whole BBK set up ended up weighing almost the same (off by 0.X pounds) as the stock set up, which I'm happy, next would be running some Girodisc rotors to further reduce rotational mass...and they look frigging SEXY!

Another hurdle after installing the BBK, is my S5 rotor wheels didn't clear the brakes , so I had to put the flower pedals back on, with 10mm spacers while I hunt for a new set of wheels.

Bought the OZs off my buddy and had it refinished in Satin Black. Sold the S5 rotors to ScubaA4dude.
Spec: 19x9 ET42, 10mm spacers on 255/35 PS4S

Some more pics

Mid March 2020 I flashed my ECU with Unitronic Stage 1 while I wait for 034's server to be ready. Very pleased with the results.
A month later I changed out my sparkplugs and coilpacks to the RS3 ones, cleaned my K&N filter and installed the P3 Gauge.

FINALLY caught up to date. Dropped it a bit more.This is how it sits now. Waiting for an OEM S4 spoiler and a new RS grille (Old one took a beating after 3 years) to come in; got a lip from JC sportline and had it PPF'd. Once they all arrive I'll install them all at once. OH and new wheels also coming, been a longggggg wait, but hopefully will worth it!

THANKS everyone that has helped me along the whole journey.
IG: keithlauuu

Feel free to dm me on IG or here if you have any questions, I can always help source most OEM parts and some wheels!

Last edited by yb28; 10-09-2020 at 08:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by yb28:
Clixt (07-16-2020), highstyles (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice, I'm digging your build man, especially those yellow BBK.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you ! I love them !
Old 08-01-2020, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yesterday was a big day: EMD Style front lip, S4 rear spoiler, new RS grill, REV9 FMIC and BBS wheels install. None of these were supposed to happen but you know....that modbug is strong.

When I arrived to my trusted mechanic's shop, I was informed that a third party tire vendor came to deliver some tires and decided to roll them into the shop. And of course it hit my stack my wheels, causing one of them to fall off and damaged it. My mechanic told me he will be have all 4 to be refinished to ensure no mismatch.

Everything else went smoothly. Many of you have asked hows the grill fitment and why am I changing it, I'm changing it due to just old age, it's been 3 years and went through 3 harsh winters. It's dulled out, however, 0 damage.

New Grille is from GCA, the fit is slightly worse than what I have now but still not bad none the less. My buddy has designed a sweet LP mount and everything mounted up nicely, if any of you are interested, feel free to reach out.

The REV9 unit is very nice, however as per all the reviews, one of my brackets didn't really line up, but overall for 300USD I cant complain.

The lip is super sick too, never been a lip guy and many of you know that I didn't even considered one just due to where, and how much I drive. I opted for rivnut so that I can remove for winter. Think it turned out okay!

Here are some pics from yesterday, once new wheels are mounted up and a proper wash, will post better pics! [wrench]

Damaged wheel.

New GCA grille with LP mount

Comparison between my OEM one and REV9

Old 08-01-2020, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

what specifically about the grille that made the fitment worse?
Old 08-07-2020, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chompers
what specifically about the grille that made the fitment worse?
Gaps are not as tight as the other one, but still a good unit!
Old 08-07-2020, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any rattling or creaking from the gaps? GCA were the only ones I could find with the silver frame.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Any rattling or creaking from the gaps? GCA were the only ones I could find with the silver frame.
No, but even if there is you wont hear it while driving.

Better quality would be from Carbnlab! They have any color combo!
The following users liked this post:
chompers (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yb28
No, but even if there is you wont hear it while driving.

Better quality would be from Carbnlab! They have any color combo!
wow thanks!

Are they worth nearly 50% more though? If so, what made you decide to switch away from them?
Old 08-08-2020, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

wow thanks!

Are they worth nearly 50% more though? If so, what made you decide to switch away from them?
Yes, I'm friends with the owner of Carbnlab and I stand behind his products. Also GCA has increased their pricing due to import fees and stuff.

I didn't switch away from them, I actually didnt really need to change the grille, it was a very last minute decision and I needed it very quick due to my appointment with my mechanic was already booked and hes a very busy guy.
Also with covid I lost my job so I gotta be more conscious about spending it..... ugh

But when things get better I'll go back to carbnlab again no doubt !

Quick Reply: 2017 Daytona Grey Build Thread *LOTS OF PICS*