A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2018 A4 18 inch wheel spec for better look

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 A4 18 inch wheel spec for better look

Hi, My tire is 245/40/18 but it looks small to me. I want to have wheels to be more outward by upgrading wheels but keeping the current tires.
Current one is 18x8 wheel. Is buying 18x9 ET35 good choice? Does it fit well?
Any suggestions are appreciated and pics are much more appreciated if you have something I want already.
Please check the pics of mine.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

What do you mean by "looks small"? Are you just trying the push the wheels outward ("to be more outward")?

A wider wheel doesn't actually move the position of the tread/sidewall very much. The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 0.2". So going up an inch in wheel width will cause the overall tire width to increase by 0.4". Half of that will be visible outboard, so your sidewalls will appear to be 0.2" further out, relative to the wheel well.

The extra 5mm of offset of a 35 will make a difference, but only another 5mm (0.2") if the 40mm I see as stock is correct. So a new set of wheels would get you about 0.4" or 10mm.

Wheel Spacers may be a cheaper solution. Car-specific, 15mm spacers for about $65/corner. I'd stay away from the "universal fit" $25 ones.

Last edited by PghRich; 06-14-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PghRich
What do you mean by "looks small"? Are you just trying the push the wheels outward ("to be more outward")?

A wider wheel doesn't actually move the position of the tread/sidewall very much. The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 0.2". So going up an inch in wheel width will cause the overall tire width to increase by 0.4". Half of that will be visible outboard, so your sidewalls will appear to be 0.2" further out, relative to the wheel well.

The extra 5mm of offset of a 35 will make a difference, but only another 5mm (0.2") if the 40mm I see as stock is correct. So a new set of wheels would get you about 0.4" or 10mm.

Wheel Spacers may be a cheaper solution. Car-specific, 15mm spacers for about $65/corner. I'd stay away from the "universal fit" $25 ones.

Well said. Spacers will give the car a more aggressive stance. And it’s a much cheaper alternative than buying new wheels if you plan to keep 18”.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Adding spacers will probably be the easiest way to get the look you want but it will also change the suspension geometry so the car will feel different. The suspension designers locate the contact patch in a very specific location relative to the center of rotation of the steering for the front wheels. Moving the wheel and therefore the contact patch outward will make steering wheel jump in the direction of a pothole when you hit one and it may also result in some tramlining when driving on roads with grooves from heavy truck tires. You may not even notice the effect but just be aware there could be an unwanted change in the feel of the car with the spacers.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PghRich

It is very nice explanation. thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Adding spacers will probably be the easiest way to get the look you want but it will also change the suspension geometry so the car will feel different. The suspension designers locate the contact patch in a very specific location relative to the center of rotation of the steering for the front wheels. Moving the wheel and therefore the contact patch outward will make steering wheel jump in the direction of a pothole when you hit one and it may also result in some tramlining when driving on roads with grooves from heavy truck tires. You may not even notice the effect but just be aware there could be an unwanted change in the feel of the car with the spacers.
Yup, as you said I wanna avoid using it. But then how different is using spacers Vs. lower offset wheels? it seems to be almost same.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by a4.montreal
Yup, as you said I wanna avoid using it. But then how different is using spacers Vs. lower offset wheels? it seems to be almost same.
Ive done both in the past. My personal opinion is against using spacers if possible. Obviously, its a much less expensive option, especially if you like the OEM wheels you already have. However, you are putting extra areas of contact between the wheel and the hub. This can introduce extra vibration at higher revolutions as well as areas of minute movement. Having a wheel with the specific offset you are looking for is going to put the wheel directly against the hub for a 1:1 fit.

Will they put the contact patch in the same position, yes. Could you potentially experience the effects mentioned in the other post, yes. However, 10mm is not a ton to really notice too much of a difference and youll get used to the change really quick. Doing 20mm is a different story and it could definitely slow down the turn in when handling.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Ive done both in the past. My personal opinion is against using spacers if possible. Obviously, its a much less expensive option, especially if you like the OEM wheels you already have. However, you are putting extra areas of contact between the wheel and the hub. This can introduce extra vibration at higher revolutions as well as areas of minute movement. Having a wheel with the specific offset you are looking for is going to put the wheel directly against the hub for a 1:1 fit.

Will they put the contact patch in the same position, yes. Could you potentially experience the effects mentioned in the other post, yes. However, 10mm is not a ton to really notice too much of a difference and youll get used to the change really quick. Doing 20mm is a different story and it could definitely slow down the turn in when handling.
Thanks, very good to know 20mm makes that difference. Pushing wheels outward by increasing rim width rather than lower offset will have less impact when cornering, I believe.
So again, based on https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tir...calculator.php, I got following result when I upgrade 18x9 et35.
  • Outer Position: extend by 17.7mm
Is this setting gonna fit to A4?
Old 06-20-2019, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by a4.montreal
Thanks, very good to know 20mm makes that difference. Pushing wheels outward by increasing rim width rather than lower offset will have less impact when cornering, I believe.
So again, based on https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tir...calculator.php, I got following result when I upgrade 18x9 et35.
  • Outer Position: extend by 17.7mm
Is this setting gonna fit to A4?
18x9 et35 on 245's will easily fit. The calculator you linked doesn't show a 17.7 mm difference though. 18x9 et35 should net you a 14 mm difference from what you currently have with the same tires.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the same rims why not just use wheel spacers? Imo I love the design of them

Quick Reply: 2018 A4 18 inch wheel spec for better look