A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2018 A4 with Black Optic Package

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:14 PM
GFL
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 A4 with Black Optic Package

I am cross shopping a 2018 MT GTI, Golf R and A4. Before making a final decision, I was wondering if anybody could direct me to photos of what the Black Optic package (interior and exterior if possible) might look like. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

The 2018 Golf R is a new body isn't it? No clue when we will even see them at this point

Here is what black optics gets you on the 18 A4

18" 10-Y-spoke wheels, gloss black w/ all-season tires Piano black inlays
Red brake calipers Black optic exterior package
High-gloss black side sill blades and rear lip spoiler Contrast stitching, Red
3-spoke flat bottom steering wheel with S badge Leatherette covered center console and door armrests

There was no Blk Optic on the 17 afaik
Old 06-06-2017, 04:37 PM
GFL
Audiworld Junior Member

Appreciate the quick response. The entire Golf line is getting a facelift for MY18. However, the US is not going to receive any performance improvements. I have a dilemma. Test drove the AT A4- my impression was this is a very nice riding car, almost too nice (if that makes any sense) - felt virtually no steering feedback or sensation of strong acceleration. Since VW won't let anyone test drive a R, it is suggested that one drives the S3 as their components are virtually the same. I did so but was actually quite underwhelmed- thought the performance would be more of the throw me back into my seat type which it was not. Test drove the MT A4 and found it to be much more engaging and cemented my idea that I want a MT for my next car. The GTI is about 600 lbs lighter than the A4 but is not as quick 0-60. I thoroughly enjoyed driving both but can't help to think that buyers remorse is inevitable with either purchase. Was hoping that the A4 configured with the Black Optics package, along with the Sports package option, would be the scale tipping factor.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GFL
Appreciate the quick response. The entire Golf line is getting a facelift for MY18. However, the US is not going to receive any performance improvements. I have a dilemma. Test drove the AT A4- my impression was this is a very nice riding car, almost too nice (if that makes any sense) - felt virtually no steering feedback or sensation of strong acceleration. Since VW won't let anyone test drive a R, it is suggested that one drives the S3 as their components are virtually the same. I did so but was actually quite underwhelmed- thought the performance would be more of the throw me back into my seat type which it was not. Test drove the MT A4 and found it to be much more engaging and cemented my idea that I want a MT for my next car. The GTI is about 600 lbs lighter than the A4 but is not as quick 0-60. I thoroughly enjoyed driving both but can't help to think that buyers remorse is inevitable with either purchase. Was hoping that the A4 configured with the Black Optics package, along with the Sports package option, would be the scale tipping factor.
I too have been looking for my next vehicle and am very interested in the A4 MT with the black optics and sport packages. I'm surprised you found a MT to test drive, as my dealer will only special order them. The sport package is supposed to lower the car 20mm. That and opting for the 19" wheels that are available with the black optics package should firm up the ride, but I would never expect it to handle like an S3 or Golf R since it's a much larger car. I will be following this thread though. Let us know what you end up with.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to see what the black optics package looks like, I suggest that you go to audiusa.com and build your own A4. Select the black optics package and the car color of your choice and cycle through the pictures at the top of the page. It'll show various views of the exterior and a couple of views of the interior. The pictures change depending on the options you choose. For instance, choosing the black optics package is the only way to get the flat-bottomed steering wheel. Also when building, choose the manual transmission to see what the center console looks like as opposed to the standard AT with electronic shifter.

Here's the link to that page. Click on the build button near the middle of the page next to the Request a quote button: https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a4
Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I picked up my '18 A4 MT with the Black Optics package a few months ago. So far I love it! The piano black trim is VERY easily scratched, so beware of that. I chose the Daytona grey pearl paint, which looks excellent with the black trim. I drove a Golf R and a few other vehicles before deciding the A4 was for me. At the end of the day you should pick up the vehicle which makes you happiest. For me Audi made sense because everything about it (looks, power, tech) were all impressive to me when compared to the others I drove.

If you're still deciding and would like to see what the Black Optics package looks like on a delivered vehicle, I'd be happy to upload a few pictures for you
Old 10-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ChillyCanadian
I picked up my '18 A4 MT with the Black Optics package a few months ago. So far I love it! The piano black trim is VERY easily scratched, so beware of that. I chose the Daytona grey pearl paint, which looks excellent with the black trim. I drove a Golf R and a few other vehicles before deciding the A4 was for me. At the end of the day you should pick up the vehicle which makes you happiest. For me Audi made sense because everything about it (looks, power, tech) were all impressive to me when compared to the others I drove.

If you're still deciding and would like to see what the Black Optics package looks like on a delivered vehicle, I'd be happy to upload a few pictures for you
Love to see the picts. I wish I had a choice of the Daytona grey pearl paint, I got Ibis White - have automatic trans. I agree about the piano black trim. Looks great but scratches easily and dust shows quickly. Did you also get the high gloss black wheels or did you go with the 19" wheels?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RB_OU812
Love to see the picts. I wish I had a choice of the Daytona grey pearl paint, I got Ibis White - have automatic trans. I agree about the piano black trim. Looks great but scratches easily and dust shows quickly. Did you also get the high gloss black wheels or did you go with the 19" wheels?
The white looks great too! Especially with the black accenting.

I got the 19" Audi Sport 5-spoke wheels 👍

I'll post some pics when I'm able 😁
Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ChillyCanadian
The white looks great too! Especially with the black accenting.

I got the 19" Audi Sport 5-spoke wheels 👍

I'll post some pics when I'm able 😁
I posted some picts here awhile back: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...heels-2931532/
Old 10-10-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RB_OU812
I posted some picts here awhile back: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...heels-2931532/
Very nice car! I think you made an excellent choice. What made you go with the A4 over the S4/5? For me it was having a manual trans. Apparently Audi is playing with the idea of giving an MT option to future S productions 🤷*♂️ For me, if the RS3 came in a MT the A4 wouldn't have stood a chance.

Quick Reply: 2018 A4 with Black Optic Package