A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2018 map update seems out

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by securityguy
I think I read somewhere that you get 5 updates and they come out every 6 months. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
If so, I might pass on this one and wait for the next one. I've only had the car for a little over two months, so there's probably not a whole lot different between one update and the next. I intend to keep the car at least five years, so perhaps getting one update per year is good enough.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthwestB9
If so, I might pass on this one and wait for the next one. I've only had the car for a little over two months, so there's probably not a whole lot different between one update and the next. I intend to keep the car at least five years, so perhaps getting one update per year is good enough.
The way I read the terms, you get as many downloads as you want during the first 3 years of ownership. In reality there are only 5 updates because they come out every 6 months so even though you get unlimited downloads you only need 5. I guess after 3 years you either need to pay for AudiConnect and download them from the car or Audi just stops updating the maps for that version of MMI.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:52 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthwestB9
Does Audi allow unlimited updates when downloading the maps from MyAudi? Or is there a fixed number of updates you can do for free? That's the only thing keeping me from jumping on this update.
It's five updates... but... I suspect (though could be wrong) that they count 'available' updates, not actual downloads.

i.e. if your car came with 2016, you'd be allowed to download 2016/2017, 2017, 2017/2018, 2018, and 2018/2019... and so if you didn't download 2017, that wouldn't let you download 2019.

One other interesting note: the SD card is not tied to your car and can work in any B9.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not think there was an SD card in the 2017-18 models that stores map data? If so, where is it?

@SchwarzS6...the dealer can always this for you but they will charge a fee so Audi still supports the updates after your free 5.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:36 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did not think there was an SD card in the 2017-18 models that stores map data? If so, where is it?
The map data isn't stored on an SD card the way it is on F*rds, Subaru, and others. You download the map update onto an SD card, put the SD card into one of the two slots in the glove box, and the system will copy the map data over. Once it's done you can remove the SD card until next time...
Old 11-15-2017, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks VM...makes sense. Just bought my son a new 2017 Subaru Impreza and his now operates the same but using a USB. You download the files onto USB and then it gets copied to the NAV. Appreciate the insight.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:58 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks VM...makes sense. Just bought my son a new 2017 Subaru Impreza and his now operates the same but using a USB. You download the files onto USB and then it gets copied to the NAV. Appreciate the insight.
Interesting... my parents have a 2017 Subaru Outback, and with theirs, there's a microSD card at the front of the navigation head unit that stores the maps. To update it, at least in theory (I've never actually done it - last time I tried the map update wasn't out yet), take the microSD card out, put it into a computer, run the updating software, and then put the microSD card back in the car. I'm surprised the Impreza does it differently...
Old 11-15-2017, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree there is a Java update just a couple days ago.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

VM, the 2018 outback has the new NAV. It was first introduced in the 17 Impreza. My 15 Legacy was the same as your parents outback. I did a few thru my computer. Very easy to do.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
The map data isn't stored on an SD card the way it is on F*rds, Subaru, and others. You download the map update onto an SD card, put the SD card into one of the two slots in the glove box, and the system will copy the map data over. Once it's done you can remove the SD card until next time...
Actually on some A4's the maps are indeed stored on the SD, if you've the SD based navigation. Although this might only be European models. You cannot update the maps on this version without purchasing a new SD card with the maps on it, then have it activated to the car at some cost of around £500 in total.
For the other post, yes the SD card with the downloaded maps can be used on other A4's, however the MMI still remembers how many times the maps have been updated and you cannot go over the 5 times limit.

Quick Reply: 2018 map update seems out