A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

6MT fails to go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 6MT fails to go into gear

Since purchasing the car, a few times the car has failed to go into third gear when shifting from second Resulting in a grinding noise. After having a manual B7 and never ever experiencing this issue it is surprising to me. I feel like if I had pushed harder it may have gone into gear but I don’t make it a habit of trying to reproduce. That being said I wasn’t doing anything noticeably differently during that shift. Has anyone experienced this? Will this hurt the car?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

My 2018 shifts buttery smooth into all gears. Take it to the dealer and make them fix it.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had instances where 3rd gear shifts feel differently than the other ones (not a "click-click" type of feel but just goes in there - if that makes sense), but haven't experienced it not going into gear at all...Definitely have it checked out- although if you can't reproduce it with the tech, unfortunately it may have to get worse before they can determine whats happening.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a worn synchronizer in the gearbox.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Has the feel of your clutch pedal changed at all? My clutch failed rather suddenly. At first I noticed that the clutch felt a little strange, like the friction point had moved a little closer to the firewall. By the end of the day, the clutch pedal had dropped to the floor with the clutch still fully engaged and the pedal wouldn't spring back. My dealer had to replace the entire clutch and could not explain the cause of the failure.

EDIT - It turns out that hydraulic fluid was leaking from the system, which caused the clutch to lose pressure. The fluid was also leaking into the clutch, which caused it to slip. The dealer replaced the master cylinder once and the clutch twice.

Last edited by SDakota; 09-24-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
I've had instances where 3rd gear shifts feel differently than the other ones (not a "click-click" type of feel but just goes in there - if that makes sense), but haven't experienced it not going into gear at all...Definitely have it checked out- although if you can't reproduce it with the tech, unfortunately it may have to get worse before they can determine whats happening.
Originally Posted by audi8k
Sounds like a worn synchronizer in the gearbox.
Originally Posted by SDakota
Has the feel of your clutch pedal changed at all? My clutch failed rather suddenly. At first I noticed that the clutch felt a little strange, like the friction point had moved a little closer to the firewall. By the end of the day, the clutch pedal had dropped to the floor with the clutch still fully engaged and the pedal wouldn't spring back. My dealer had to replace the entire clutch and could not explain the cause of the failure.
Originally Posted by vkamnyev
It's possible that this car is slightly harder to push into gear than the B7 and since I'm so used to that car that I am only using enough force to barely get it into gear, especially when shifting quickly - so it could be my fault that it's doing this, but it does seem strange. It has only happened in cases where I change gears quickly, almost as if it goes into gear and there is like a springy mechanism keeping it from going into gear quickly and so it springs back.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ignore. Posted to the wrong thread.

Last edited by Rontop; 09-23-2020 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Posted to the wrong thread.