A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

A4 versus A3

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This entire thread is funny to me. Reason being, I started out talking to our VW/Audi/Porsche dealer about a VW Golf R. I wanted one, they didn't have one and an order for one would take 4-6 months to arrive. OK I said, what about an S3? Yes we have one but several people are in line to purchase it. No problem, I'll buy it from you today if we can settle on a price............some back and forth............more back and forth...........we can't reach a deal. I walk away and call the local ford dealer about an EB F150 crew cab. That night, I'm looking at the Audi dealerships inventory and i notice they have 3 2017 A4's in stock........ Hmmm I say, and check out the specs of the 2017 A4........not too bad and the reviews are pretty good. first thing the next morning, I'm back at the Audi dealership looking for the salesman that helped me the day before, sadly it was his day off. A different salesman was happy to help. I test drove a new A4 and loved it. only problem was, I can't stand Red, White or Black cars and that's all they had in inventory. No problem, they just received 3 new cars that haven't been "delivered" yet. One was gray and the price was a little less than what I'd originally offered on the S3...... a deal was made and I couldn't be happier. The A4 is a great car, I've put over 5K miles on mine in 4 months and have enjoyed every mile.

It all started because I wanted a Golf R (Well technically it all started because my first car was a 1984 Rabbit GTI, but that's going back a bit farther than necessary )

Sadly, the ford dealership called me back with a screaming deal on a nice truck as I was signing the contract for the A4............30 minutes sooner and I'd be driving a truck. Don't get me wrong, I love my A4, but when I need a new vehicle, I'm not partial to anyone and will buy whatever i feel gives me the best bang for the buck and since I hate to shop, I'll take the first reasonable deal I can find, hence the A4 and after 4 months, I don't regret it. I still need another truck, but will just pick up a used one to haul my atv's and/or tractor when the time comes.

Last edited by acruxksa; 03-25-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 2016 S4. I like it. I've driven S3s and A3s as service loaners. S3 is funn for a while but just too small in feel and ride for me. Maybe better if mostly local/city driving is important. Overall, no question I'd buy the A4 vs. A3 and S4 vs. S3 ...again. You must drive to feel the difference and determine better fit for your body and car size/feel/needs.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I won't be driving it much since I hate SUVs with a vengeance. Wife will be doing the driving duty. And she liked the Macan but she loves the Cayenne. Let's see how it goes.

Loved and loved the looks and build quality on the Macan (mine was a 2016 S) but outfitting one nicely can get way up there in price. For me using it as a DD - NYC commuting just did not work out. I recently was in 2016? A3 loaner and though not really a proper comparison to the 17 A4, I felt is was in no way as refined as the A4 and too small and cramped for my needs.

Last edited by bob m; 03-25-2017 at 05:11 AM.