A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

A5 vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A5 vs A4

I was contemplating getting a new A4 but A5 sport Avi also kind of looks cool. I read somewhere both cars are very similar. Since there are so many enthusiasts and dealers here I was wondering if you had any insights apart from the obvious looks and difference in engine HP are there any major differences (in terms of finish / comfort etc) / reliability
which one would you folks recommend?
Old 10-27-2018, 03:57 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Which country are you in? In North America the engines in the A4 and A5 are the same, I thought...

Main difference between the two is styling. I believe that the base suspension on the A5 is also lower.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I did test drive an A5 sportback before I got the A4. Just wanted to see how much larger it was if any - it may have been a touch larger but the sloped back I didn't really like. I liked the style of the A4 better overall which was the main choice as was the fact the A5 was more $.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

The cars are mechanically identical with the only differences being in body style and packaging. You can safely choose the one that is more appealing in terms of styling and functionality. I like the styling and versatility of the hatch offered by the Sportback, but others may prefer the traditional sedan.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I am also thinking about A5 Sportback because of the hatch. I like the overall front styling of A4 much better. If we only had A4 Avant...
Old 10-27-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by DeXel
I am also thinking about A5 Sportback because of the hatch. I like the overall front styling of A4 much better. If we only had A4 Avant...
we do, the allroad
Old 10-27-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
we do, the allroad
It's not really the same because of the higher clearance and Quattro Ultra. Although I was considering it once.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not really the same because of the higher clearance and Quattro Ultra. Although I was considering it once.
if you can tell the difference between quattro and quattro ultra, you're of another species I've had them on the highway, on the backroads, through the rain, through nearly a foot of unplowed snow. It is completely indistinguishable

allroad suspension is higher yes, but, platform, body, tech, options is the A4. Awesome vehicles, and such a gorgeous silhouette
Old 10-27-2018, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I never drove Quattro Ultra car, but I am not fan of FWD drive vehicles. I like 60% distribution of the normal Quattro to the rear, and I can tell in normal driving conditions that it's mostly the rear that does the job. I am not talking about from performance perspective, but purely the feel where the power is distributed during normal drive.

Given that in Quattro Ultra, it's the front of the car that does the job, can't your really tell the difference? Or the rear is engaged quite often? I guess I'll need to give it a try.

I mean if Audi would choose to distribute to the rear first (like BMW and MB), I wouldn't even care that the car has Quattro Ultra.

Last edited by DeXel; 10-27-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I never drove Quattro Ultra car, but I am not fun of FWD drive vehicles. I like 60% distribution of the normal Quattro to the rear, and I can tell in normal driving conditions that it's mostly the rear that does the job. I am not talking about from performance perspective, but purely the feel where the power is distributed during normal drive.

Given that in Quattro Ultra, it's the front of the car that does the job, can't your really tell the difference? Or the rear is engaged quite often? I guess I'll need to give it a try.
drive it for yourself and see. I've had 9 previous new Audi's since '00, so am extremely used to the traditional quattro as well. But from the first ultra I drove, which was an allroad of all things, it's impressive, and the resulting gas mileage improvement is awesome

Quick Reply: A5 vs A4