A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Apple Car play problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just want to say, although this thread is pretty old the problem seems to persist. My wife has a 2019 A5 and is running iOS 12.2 on her phone. She's had intermittent issues with CarPlay, but suggestions such as the one below seem to work. So thank you for the help!

Originally Posted by lifjoy
This has been driving me nuts, but I have finally found the cause and a convenient workaround...

The cause: when CarPlay user interface is visible on the MMI screen, and I shift the car in reverse gear, the backup camera's image appears on the MMI. When I shift into forward gear, the camera's image disappears, but the CarPlay user interface does not reappear-- and selecting the CarPlay icon on the MMI screen will not make it reappear. One must either unplug the USB cable from the iPhone, or reboot the MMI by holding down its large scroll wheel button while simultaneously pushing the NAV and RADIO buttons upward (both are unsafe while driving). This is definitely an MMI firmware bug.

The workaround: before shifting into reverse gear, press the MMI's MENU button to exit CarPlay mode. After shifting back into forward gear, select the CarPlay icon on the MMI screen, and the CarPlay user interface will display properly.

The suggested workaround of pressing the Audi's "P" (parking camera) button did not resolve the issue for me (I have a 2017 A4 allroad and an iPhone X).
Old 04-09-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryGTI
Just want to say, although this thread is pretty old the problem seems to persist. My wife has a 2019 A5 and is running iOS 12.2 on her phone. She's had intermittent issues with CarPlay, but suggestions such as the one below seem to work. So thank you for the help!
Thanks for the tip I have 2019 A4 and still have this issue same as when I had my 2017 A4 smh.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Odd, I have an iPhone 7 and I have had no issues with CarPlay and Waze. My only problem is Spotify not loading properly sometimes. But carplay is always connected, I reverse and park and nothin'
Old 04-10-2019, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Odd, I have an iPhone 7 and I have had no issues with CarPlay and Waze. My only problem is Spotify not loading properly sometimes. But carplay is always connected, I reverse and park and nothin'
That's interesting. My wife had CarPlay issues very, very similar to those described in this thread, but they can apparently be avoided using the "workaround" I quoted above. She has a new A5 and an iPhone 8 Plus with the latest iOS.

Funny you mention Spotify not loading. My own car is a VW GTI with CarPlay, and Spotify NEVER loads. The Apple Podcast app, on the other hand, loads right away.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ds5
Hi guys,
I've had my 2017 S5 a week and have the same issue.
Spotify playing via CarPlay. Track info on the big screen. UNKNOWN shows on the dash 9/10.
We sure this is a bug? Anyone spoke to Audi about it?

Hey, do you still have this same issue? Have you spoken to Audi or a dealership about this yet? I've been fighting with my dealership for over a year now since I bought my car for this exact issue. They continue to tell me that they've never heard of this before (even though there's several people that have this issue on every forum I visit) and they continue to tell me it's an apple problem (even though I explained I've used several different apple cables as well as several different apple phones in my car and the problem persists meanwhile I've used other Audis with my phone and the meta date of the songs from Spotify show up JUST FINE!). I'm mostly angry considering how much hard earned money we all spend on these cars and for the biggest screen in the car to show me just "unknown" all day every day is unacceptable.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what's more interesting? Pandora is WAY more likely to display the track name in VC vs Apple Music or Spotify.

My wife has a Mercedes GLC300 and Carplay loves to lock up. The best carplay experience I've had was a rental Chevy while on vacation. Screen was low res and poor color, but it worked perfectly. Maybe the Germans and the Apple technicians need to have a heart to heart.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not a German v Apple problem I think. I've rented with a company called Silvercar a LOT of times, they're a car rental company that only rents Audis. I've NEVER had the same issue on any of their cars. I've rented an A4, A5, and a Q5...Not a single time have I seen "unknown" on my VC.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by haudi7
Hey, do you still have this same issue? Have you spoken to Audi or a dealership about this yet? I've been fighting with my dealership for over a year now since I bought my car for this exact issue. They continue to tell me that they've never heard of this before (even though there's several people that have this issue on every forum I visit) and they continue to tell me it's an apple problem (even though I explained I've used several different apple cables as well as several different apple phones in my car and the problem persists meanwhile I've used other Audis with my phone and the meta date of the songs from Spotify show up JUST FINE!). I'm mostly angry considering how much hard earned money we all spend on these cars and for the biggest screen in the car to show me just "unknown" all day every day is unacceptable.
Given how terrible the interface is on Spotify with the app and browser versions, it is hard for me to point fingers at either Apple or Audi when I have had trouble with the Spotify in CarPlay. I have had all my other apps working fine in CarPlay. The only exception other than Spotify was problems with Overcast which were fixed with a shutdown/restart of my iPhone. You might want to try that with Spotify if you haven't already.

Last edited by MDAudi; 05-11-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

2019 Audi A4 Prestige owner here (it’s only 3 weeks old!) and have the latest MMI firmware according to my dealer (1316 IIRC) and an iPhone XS running 12.3 beta 6 and CarPlay has been great especially with Waze.

So far no issues that I’ve seen.

Last edited by BoxerBoi76; 05-11-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76
2019 Audi A4 Prestige owner here (it’s only 3 weeks old!) and have the latest MMI firmware according to my dealer (1316 IIRC) and an iPhone XS running 12.3 beta 6 and CarPlay has been great especially with Waze.

So so far no issues that I’ve seen.

Apple pushed a fix a few months ago and fixed it for me too. I will check my software one the MMI

Quick Reply: Apple Car play problems