A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi MMI Connect App only works with wifi?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi MMI Connect App Only Works on Wifi, not T-Mobile Mobile Data

Seeing something strange with my A4 access using the MMI connect app from an Android phone. The app works fine when my phone has Wifi connectivity, but when using mobile data the app fails with a network error. This seems like strange behavior; anybody else see anything like this?

Screenshot of error when attempting to check car status via mobile data

Last edited by Marc VanHeyningen; 01-17-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Some features only work if the phone is connected to the car's wifi network, but that may not be your issue. Does it work if you are connected to the car's wifi or any wifi?
Old 09-23-2016, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does checking the car status, unlocking, the car and what not use that free data that you get with a new car?
Old 09-23-2016, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Some features only work if the phone is connected to the car's wifi network, but that may not be your issue. Does it work if you are connected to the car's wifi or any wifi?
It works with any WiFi. I can be on the other side of the world from my car and the app works fine -- if (and only if) it has WiFi. I haven't (yet) connected my phone to the car's WiFi at all.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

All the features of the MMI Connect app (iOS 10) work perfectly for me whether I'm on Wi-Fi or AT&T data network. When the car is just parked somewhere the MMI connection section always says "No connection to vehicle possible", but using the app I can lock / unlock it, see the fuel & oil levels, & see (quite precisely) where it's parked.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc VanHeyningen
It works with any WiFi. I can be on the other side of the world from my car and the app works fine -- if (and only if) it has WiFi. I haven't (yet) connected my phone to the car's WiFi at all.
Ok, that sounds like you haven't given the app permission to use cellular data. I'm not an Android user, but on iOS you can prevent any app from using cellular data, and then it obviously only works if you are on Wifi. I'm sure Android has a similar feature.

If that's not it, then the Android version of the app has a bug. That wouldn't be surprising. The Android version like with many other apps has been lagging behind the iOS version in terms of maturity and reliability. There have been past occurrences where things didn't work in the Android version, but worked fine in the iOS version, or the iOS version got new features that were missing in the Android version. This is actually one reason I've been staying away from Android. Many developers bring out new features on iOS first, before they port them to Android and generally the iOS versions of apps are more mature.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Ok, that sounds like you haven't given the app permission to use cellular data. I'm not an Android user, but on iOS you can prevent any app from using cellular data, and then it obviously only works if you are on Wifi. I'm sure Android has a similar feature.

If that's not it, then the Android version of the app has a bug.
App permissions isn't it; this app has everything it's asked for. So it's either a bug in the app or possibly something weird about my phone (but my phone's not weird, it's a vanilla unrooted Nexus 6 on T-Mobile).

Now I'm imagining a scenario where I lose my key and need to unlock my car with my phone, but I have to find a Starbucks to do it.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Marc VanHeyningen
App permissions isn't it; this app has everything it's asked for. So it's either a bug in the app or possibly something weird about my phone (but my phone's not weird, it's a vanilla unrooted Nexus 6 on T-Mobile).
I'm having the same problem. It has worked in the past on both my iPhone and Android phones on T-Mobile but no longer does. I'm wondering if there is something on T-Mobile's end that is blocking access perhaps?
Old 11-30-2016, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was playing with this again last night. It seems to be something with T-Mobile's implementation of IPv6 addressing.

I haven't figured out if it's possible to force an iPhone to use IPv4 addressing (I doubt it) but i was able to get everything working by sending all the data over a VPN.

I haven't seen any other services fall down on T-Mobile's data network except for the MMI Connect, so I sort of have to assume it's something on Audi's service not handling IPv6 traffic correctly...
Old 11-30-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey guys

Do I have to buy the mmi connect app App Store? I tried using my wife's phone (since I'm an android loyalist) but it asked me for credit card details when I tried downloading it. I don't use apple products much so I don't know how exactly it works. But I could download other free apps without entering card details.

Quick Reply: Audi MMI Connect App only works with wifi?