A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Navigation has me smh

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Audi Navigation has me smh

I often set my Navigation -- even if I know my destination and know how to get there -- so that I can see what my ETA is going to be. But it amazes me to see some of the convoluted routes it tries to send me on. I mean, I can be within a mile or two of my destination, and Navigation will tell me to make a U-turn and take a route that is miles out of my way.

I don't remember my old Garmin GPS ever giving me such bad instructions.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I don't remember my old Garmin GPS ever giving me such bad instructions..
Bad instructions is an understatement. Early on when I first purchased the A4 (right after the Audi connect trial ended) the Audi Nav routed me to a residential neighborhood when the address I entered was in a industrial park over a mile away. Never again. I only use Google maps on my phone or Android Auto on occasion.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 06-01-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far Audi nav has been OK, sometimes I would get a weird route option but I always double check Google Maps or Apple Maps right after I get a list of route options
Without traffic info (here in Canada), I'm always forced to go check Google/Apple.
That's the one thing I hate with the nav is there is no traffic....my number 1 most hated thing
Old 06-01-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed...my Audi nav (with Audi connect traffic) is consistently off by ONE HOUR compared to Google or Waze. See for yourself - If you live in the Bay Area, try navigating across the San Mateo bridge eastbound on weekday rush hour. It will consistently tell you it takes a full one hour longer than Google/Waze. Then halfway across the bridge, it will suddenly jump from, for example, 7:30pm arrival time to 6:30pm arrival, which was exactly what Google/Waze had originally. Drives me crazy.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Can't say that's been my experience. I do the same often in order to get rerouted around traffic if possible. With all GPS systems, though, due to GPS not being a 100% accurate they sometimes think I took the wrong turn, especially if I have to wait at a light, and then recalculate a new route, but catch up once I make the original turn. I've had the situation where the ETA starts out very very conservative, but then rapidly hones in on a more accurate ETA. I generally use my phone to check ETA and travel times ahead of time, and I don't really pay attention to the ETA until I get closer to my destination. Traffic can change in a moments notice, so ETA is generally in flux anyway.

Regarding @chemengin's comment. I do live in the Bay Area, but I don't commute and I use the Audi nav mostly. I have similar odd experiences with Google Maps. For example try taking 880 N to the Bay Bridge and then take the FastTrak lanes on a weekend when the toll plaza is busy. Google Maps will give you an ETA that's at least twice as long, because it doesn't know that you can take FastTrak. It also gets totally confused with the lanes while driving slowly through the toll plaza. Get's into a reroute loop until you get past the tool plaza and it realizes that you are still on 80. I have yet to find a system that's perfect.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
Bad instructions is an understatement.
And trying to get "Here" maps to correct errors is an exercise in futility. The persist in thinking they know more than I do about a street I have lived on for 48 years.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
Agreed...my Audi nav (with Audi connect traffic) is consistently off by ONE HOUR compared to Google or Waze. See for yourself - If you live in the Bay Area, try navigating across the San Mateo bridge eastbound on weekday rush hour. It will consistently tell you it takes a full one hour longer than Google/Waze. Then halfway across the bridge, it will suddenly jump from, for example, 7:30pm arrival time to 6:30pm arrival, which was exactly what Google/Waze had originally. Drives me crazy.
I'm also in the Bay area and travel between the Summit area and Santa Cruz, and ETA's and route options are not consistent with anything compared to Google maps on a smart phone. What Google services is Audi using?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Briar
I'm also in the Bay area and travel between the Summit area and Santa Cruz, and ETA's and route options are not consistent with anything compared to Google maps on a smart phone. What Google services is Audi using?
The only thing Google-related on Audi's is the Google Earth overlay. Audi's don't use Google Maps for nav. They use INRIX traffic.