A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi's A4 Press Release For Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi's A4 Press Release For Manual Transmission

https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...l-transmission

The A4’s redesigned six-speed manual transmission features an extensive use of magnesium and a smaller clutch, giving the A4 an improved power-to-weight ratio
•The Sport plus package includes S line interior, dynamic steering, sport adaptive suspension, and 18” wheels with summer tires for maximum performance from an A4
•The 2017 A4 with manual transmission sprints from 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, a 0.7 second improvement over the previous generation

The 2017 Audi A4 with available six-speed manual transmission and quattro® with ultra® technology, and exclusive Sport plus package offers the design and performance of an S model in an entry level variant. No other luxury manufacturer in the A4’s competitive segment offers a manual transmission sedan with all-wheel drive capability.

The greater performance enabled by the newly-redesigned, six-speed manual transmission is due primarily to its spur-gear stage which replaces the shaft to the front-axle differential used on the previous models. The 2017 A4 with six-speed manual sprints from 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds, an improvement of 0.7 seconds over the previous generation.

Extensive use of magnesium, combined with open gearwheels, hollow shafts and a smaller clutch, reduce the weight of the transmission by 35.3 pounds compared to its predecessor, and further serve to enhance performance by giving the A4 an improved power-to-weight ratio.

Exclusively available on the A4 quattro manual is a Sport plus package featuring flow formed cast aluminum 18” 5-double-spoke-star design wheels, available Daytona Gray exterior paint, S line leather/Alcantara® interior with sport seats, stainless steel pedal caps, flat-bottom steering wheel and brushed aluminum decorative inlays. Also included is Audi dynamic steering and sport adaptive suspension (-23mm ride height), both of which were previously reserved only for S4 models.

The new six-speed manual transmission complements the performance produced by the A4’s 2.0 TFSI® engine which generates 252 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque. A significant weight savings was achieved across the A4 model-line through the lightweight construction. The front five-link suspension continues to allow for greater steering precision and excellent handling through optimized steering-rack placement direct at wheel centers.

The A4 with manual transmission also features a new quattro all-wheel drive system with ultra technology that is optimized for fully-variable torque distribution and efficiency. The new drivetrain utilizes an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch at the rear end of the transmission along with an integrated decoupler in the rear axle differential and weighs 8.8 pounds less than the previous quattro system. This quattro system with ultra technology allows for intelligent, proactive control of the all-wheel drive system to predictively modify the torque application as the driving situation or road conditions require.

For customers who do not prefer the traditional manual-shifting driving experience, the 2017 A4 is also available with a seven-speed S tronic® dual-clutch automatic transmission with front-wheel drive or available quattro® all-wheel drive.

Pricing Detail:
Model year 2017 A4 Manual starting manufacturer suggested retail prices; on sale fall 2017.

MODEL PREMIUM PREMIUM PLUS PRESTIGE
A4 quattro manual $39,400 $43,200 48,000

Last edited by Strife1013; 09-21-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:47 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

So no Torsen if you want the manual?
Old 09-21-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A4 with manual transmission also features a new quattro all-wheel drive system with ultra technology that is optimized for fully-variable torque distribution and efficiency.
Does this differ from the Quattro in the regular 2017 A4?
Old 09-21-2016, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkive
Does this differ from the Quattro in the regular 2017 A4?

yes, the manual transmission will have the new ultra Quattro where it's basically FWD only, only the wheels start to slip and then it shifts power to the rear wheels.

I am not a fan of semi Quattro. Hopefully Audi won't move away from permanent all wheel drive for this crud.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze Henryson
yes, the manual transmission will have the new ultra Quattro where it's basically FWD only, only the wheels start to slip and then it shifts power to the rear wheels.

I am not a fan of semi Quattro. Hopefully Audi won't move away from permanent all wheel drive for this crud.
It's not waiting for the wheels to slip. It knows what is going to happen before wheel skip occurs and then engages the quattro system before it is needed. No one who has driven it has been able to tell a difference between the old quattro system and the new quattro ultra system. Under the strong majority of driving situations there is no need for driving the rear wheels. This gives the best of both worlds as it increases efficiency and engages the quattro system in situations before it is needed.

If you look for a lot of the European auto reviews of the allroad from earlier this year, you can read all about the quattro ultra system.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the driver assistance package available in the Prestige trim with the manual? If so how do they pull off Traffic Jam Assist and things like the rear emergency braking?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

In Europe, with manual transmission, you loose some of the assistants features, no stop and go for example. The other assistants are limited also, but those buying a manual are not buying the car for the assistants they wanna drive on their own. ACC will work down to a certain speed and then disengage. No shifting either obviously.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I've been a diehard manual transmission driver (I sometimes get phantom clutch syndrome in my left leg when driving my wife's car with auto transmission), but I'm also a total gadget freak. So I guess I want to drive and shift manually when I want to, but then when I feel like it have the car take over as much as possible. This is going to be a really tough call since I spent a lot of time talking myself into going for the A4 Prestige with Driver Assist when only an automatic was available.

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
In Europe, with manual transmission, you loose some of the assistants features, no stop and go for example. The other assistants are limited also, but those buying a manual are not buying the car for the assistants they wanna drive on their own. ACC will work down to a certain speed and then disengage. No shifting either obviously.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is there even a picture available for what the shifter/MMI area even looks like with a manual transmission instead of the "yacht" style drive selector?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
It's not waiting for the wheels to slip. It knows what is going to happen before wheel skip occurs and then engages the quattro system before it is needed. No one who has driven it has been able to tell a difference between the old quattro system and the new quattro ultra system. Under the strong majority of driving situations there is no need for driving the rear wheels. This gives the best of both worlds as it increases efficiency and engages the quattro system in situations before it is needed.

If you look for a lot of the European auto reviews of the allroad from earlier this year, you can read all about the quattro ultra system.
What is the maximum torque that this system can send to the rear axle?

Quick Reply: Audi's A4 Press Release For Manual Transmission