A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B&O Sound System Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

It is better than the midlevel BMW stereo that was standard on my 2014 428i. The US version got an upgraded stereo that was put together by Harman Kardon. I thought it was okay for a base stereo, but the branded premium HK stereo was much better from when I listened to it. Clarity was much better.

From what I have read on here, the base stereo is pretty horrific and shameful. So unless you just listen to AM or talk radio, the B&O is a must. That said, I think B&O is one of these companies that market better than what they actually produce. It is how I feel about Bose as well. For me that the stereo causes so much buzzing is a big negative - shouldn't be the case on an upgraded stereo. I also think the coupe buyers have it better since we get a 10" woofer in the deck and the sportback gets a small 6.5" in the spare tire.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get any rattles or anything and I think when tweaked it sounds very good. I posted some suggested settings in another thread that could make a difference:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post24995802

I think 3D set at the lowest level is important since the system won't use all the speakers with it turned down but IMO it sounds too hollow set any higher than that. Some find that changing the Focus setting to Rear helps -- I don't like that setting to so I don't know why that seems to help for some.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my part I think there is definitely a major issue with the rattles. Some base tones will set off the worst rattles i've seen in a car. While other tones will produce a clean sound.

My other issue is the front door speaker, again these have a serious issue with some base frequencies and just sound like pure crap.

Ideally i would like to upgrade the front door speakers and rattle-proof the rear deck and front doors.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bk6000
Agreed. What are your thoughts on the 3D / Surround settings? Those seem gimmicky to me and make the sound quality worse IMO.
Just a bunch of flashiness that gets old after a few minutes. More people need to listen to live concert hall or jazz club music before being deceived by those "features" -- or by what they perceive to be a lack of bass. Live music does not rattle the furniture.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bk6000
Does anyone agree with me that the upgraded B&O sound system sucks? I'm wondering if it is just a licensing deal where Audi gets to put the "Bang and Olufsen" name on the sound system when they aren't really anything special.

Both of my older Volvos (S60 and S40) had better sound systems and weren't even the upgraded versions. Just drove a 2018 Mazda 3 rental that also had a better sound system.

My issues with it are that just about every speaker buzzes/rattles and lacks proper bass. Turning up the subwoofer and bass a little bit improves the bass but also just amplifies the buzzing and rattling. I know Audi sometimes fixes these issues by adding material around the speakers, but I doubt I would be able to complain about the entire system and see if they can stop the rattling on every door panel.

It just lacks a feeling of fullness and tightness in the sound. I've thought about installing a subwoofer in the trunk which I've heard would help quite a bit, but I would still be annoyed by all the door panel noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?
mine sounds awesome. XM not so much. I guess it’s the compression used. I don’t have the hearing I used to, I’m in my late 50s but I don’t get buzzing from base till I get so loud it hurts to listen. Right around the distortion level.

I used to to be an audiophile when in my 20s and 30s but my high feq hearing is gone. Sucks but it is what it is. When I worked for philips recording company, I could hear a 2db drop in frequencies but not now lol.

I think for the average enthuest, they would be very happy. For the true audiophile, maybe not but come on. A car is not an ideal listing room
Old 05-03-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
That said, I think B&O is one of these companies that market better than what they actually produce. It is how I feel about Bose as well. For me that the stereo causes so much buzzing is a big negative - shouldn't be the case on an upgraded stereo. I also think the coupe buyers have it better since we get a 10" woofer in the deck and the sportback gets a small 6.5" in the spare tire.
B&O produces excellent quality products with great sound quality. The real B&O out there do produce well. The problem with these "B&O" speakers in our automotive is that they are not made by B&O anymore, but by Harmon Kardon. HK bought out the automotive share of from B&O. The B&O system you can purchase for the Q7 for instance (a whooping $5000 upgrade+) is what a real B&O should sound like.

The low quality "B&O" in the A4 has more to do with HK. Bose on the other hand, is just terrible, period. They are nothing but a marketing genius.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
B&O produces excellent quality products with great sound quality. The real B&O out there do produce well. The problem with these "B&O" speakers in our automotive is that they are not made by B&O anymore, but by Harmon Kardon. HK bought out the automotive share of from B&O. The B&O system you can purchase for the Q7 for instance (a whooping $5000 upgrade+) is what a real B&O should sound like.

The low quality "B&O" in the A4 has more to do with HK. Bose on the other hand, is just terrible, period. They are nothing but a marketing genius.

B9 was designed around 2011-2012 and the development was completed in 2015. HK acquired B&O in April 2015 so the B&O in the B9 is not an HK designed/developed system.
B&O in the B8 was also pretty inexpensive $800 option and sounded like a true premium audio system. Rear parcel shelf and speaker trim rattles are more likely the result of factory defects not a flow in the sound system.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by djworland

mine sounds awesome. XM not so much. I guess it’s the compression used. I don’t have the hearing I used to, I’m in my late 50s but I don’t get buzzing from base till I get so loud it hurts to listen. Right around the distortion level.

I used to to be an audiophile when in my 20s and 30s but my high feq hearing is gone. Sucks but it is what it is. When I worked for philips recording company, I could hear a 2db drop in frequencies but not now lol.

I think for the average enthuest, they would be very happy. For the true audiophile, maybe not but come on. A car is not an ideal listing room
Yeah SiriusXM is compressed hard. Maybe comparable to a 96kbps mp3. And they give more bandwidth to more popular stations - so some stations sound even worse. Cymbals and high hats sound more like warbling white noise than anything else.

I agree: problem is a car is a terrible acoustic space. That's why B&O is doing lots of DSP gimmicks - trying to make it more immersive. I'm fine with it.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

So what's everyone's recommended settings for everything? Treble, bass, 3D surround, focus, etc?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chemengin
So what's everyone's recommended settings for everything? Treble, bass, 3D surround, focus, etc?
I mostly settled on zeroing out treble/bass/sub (12 o'clock), Focus All, 3D medium, and 12 o'clock surround. I tend to listen about 50-60% volume, anything lower and the bass gets thin.

I still think Driver focus in the B8.5 was way better. And with the subwoofer swap I did it was sexy. But I'm happy enough with these settings.

Quick Reply: B&O Sound System Sucks