A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B9 Manual Transmission Quattro Ultra woes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up my car from the mechanic. Replaced transmission fluid, rear differential fluid (which only had about 30 miles on it) and of course the Transfer Case fluid. 98% cured of bucking and hum from the diff! I can still feel everything a little bit, but it's drivable now.I have another set of fluids and will do at least the transfer case 1 more time in about 60 - 100 miles. I understand the transfer case fluid is on back order, but I found a dealer with a bunch of it about an hour from my house. I might take a drive, now that I can drive it, and get another batch to flush again later.

Thanks to all you and this forum! This is fantastic.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jeffstoff
First of all, just want to thank you all for your input on this issue. This thread saved me a lot of $ and if I had only found it sooner, it would’ve saved me about $400 in diagnostic fees as well.

I have a 2018 b9 6-speed manual, so with the ocx type mentioned above. I currently have 59k miles and bought the car at 19k.

I started noticing the noises from the drivetrain/buckling mentioned above around the 49k mile mark. I will say that for me, it was difficult to pinpoint where the buckling was coming from. Felt like it wasn’t really specific to one area, just underneath/in the drivetrain in general.

At first, the problem only presented itself when the wheels were turned while pulling out in first, up a hill. This was concerning but I shrugged it off as it was fairly minimal. Then at about 57k miles, about two months ago, this started to happen without the wheels being turned, and basically every time I pulled out of first gear.

I took it to a German motor works place in town and they basically gave me zero new information(told me there was play in both the tranny & rear diff), told me to take it to the dealership, and charged me $185. I took it to another German service place that specialized in Audis, and they quoted me $950 for the awd coupler flush x2 with the computer reset. They also gave me pricing to replace the awd coupler, which would’ve been $3,800. They recommended the latter of course, saying that the flush was a gamble that may not work. $220 for the diagnosis.

At that point, I was seriously considering just biting the bullet and having them replace the thing, but also wanted to read into it some more to make an educated decision.

Then I found this thread early last week(and Sjorge’s words of wisdom convinced me to do the flush).

I purchased 3 bottles of the transfer oil (g 055 515 A2) and yesterday I put the car up on ramps, found the awd coupler(directly behind the tranny), and drained the oil. I didn’t see any metal clumps, but there were very small metal shavings/sparkles that I could see rolling around in the drain pan.

As soon as I pulled out for my first 50 mile drive, the buckling was still present. By the end of the drive though, it seemed like it was a little better. Encouraging. I repeated the process(drain and refill) once again and drove it another 50 miles. This time I felt no buckling at all and the problem seemed to be gone. I had extra oil, so I decided to do it a third time, as it was a fairly quick process. And I wanted to make sure I got all of the metal shavings out of there.

I’ve driven the car about a hundred miles since the three flushes yesterday and the problem seems to be completely resolved. Has not buckled or skipped a beat once!

I haven’t reset the computer, and as Audi quoted me $250 just for that, I’ll likely skip that part of the process unless someone here can convince me that it’s absolutely necessary.

By the way, you could probably get away with buying a single bottle of fluid for this process, but I recommend buying 2 to be sure. I did the flush 3 times and used about a bottle and a half total. I also used a bit extra each time with the drain plug off to flush the system.

TLDR: if you’re experiencing this issue, do the flush x2 or x3 for good measure

cheers!

can you show where the drain and fill ports are on the unit? I’m having this exact issue, I’m wanting to do the fluid change but, I can’t seem to find them.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Are these the drain and fill plugs?
Old 12-12-2023, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bavarianpastime

Are these the drain and fill plugs?
Those are the ones
Old 12-12-2023, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Old 12-13-2023, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Had all 3 fluids done 2 weeks ago.... MT6, Ultra, and the Diff. Total time for my shop to do it with a fluid exchange machine---- 90 minutes - simple is not even a good description.... but simple drain and fills.
The following users liked this post:
LightningTruck (12-14-2023)
Old 05-10-2024, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a b9 a4 6 speed manual. Just got my ultra awd unit replaced under warranty. And now my car is worse than before I took it to the dealer... don't know what to do now
Old 05-11-2024, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobert
I've got a b9 a4 6 speed manual. Just got my ultra awd unit replaced under warranty. And now my car is worse than before I took it to the dealer... don't know what to do now
Either way you have a warranty no? TAKE IT BACK

It seems the only logical thing to do. They removed the old and installed the new... they're responsible to ensure its in working order. Simple.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Freaking dealer had it for almost 3 weeks and did almost 8k in repairs... and now it's worse. I'm hesitant to take it back but yeah I am. I have a feeling it's just the center support carrier bearing causing the rhythmic vibration all along
Old 05-13-2024, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobert
Freaking dealer had it for almost 3 weeks and did almost 8k in repairs... and now it's worse. I'm hesitant to take it back but yeah I am. I have a feeling it's just the center support carrier bearing causing the rhythmic vibration all along
Sounds like the dealer messed up. If you paid that much money, they better be making everything right for you. I'm curious to know what else was done to warrant $8k in repairs

Quick Reply: B9 Manual Transmission Quattro Ultra woes.