A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B9 MMI Navigation plus - max SD card capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anasjua4
No those seem to be standard to the MMI music player. I see them also on mine.
Alright thanks, not a big deal they are at the very top and my play lists are below them. So it's easy to ignore. Oh man I wish I got this SD card a long time ago. As soon as my car turned on there was the last song I played, no delay, no loading issues, sounds is great, man this is 10000x better than attaching my iPhone to the car to stream music.

I thought transporting a playlist would be complicated but man it's super easy and takes nothing but 15 seconds to edit. It's awesome. Thanks for all your help in this!

Now that I don't have to worry about how much space I have am curious about bit stream. Normally I will download music that is 320kbps and change them to 192kbps to save space on my iPhone and hard drive but I'm sure there is loss in quality in that (not much but maybe a tad, don't even know if it's noticeable) . So I suppose my question is, if I took a 320kbps song and converted it to 192kbps, can I change it back to 320kbps an not lose any quality? All my songs are 192, if there that much of a difference between 192 and 320, is it even worth the trouble of doing that?

Last edited by Strife1013; 12-01-2016 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Alright thanks, not a big deal they are at the very top and my play lists are below them. So it's easy to ignore. Oh man I wish I got this SD card a long time ago. As soon as my car turned on there was the last song I played, no delay, no loading issues, sounds is great, man this is 10000x better than attaching my iPhone to the car to stream music.

I thought transporting a playlist would be complicated but man it's super easy and takes nothing but 15 seconds to edit. It's awesome. Thanks for all your help in this!

Now that I don't have to worry about how much space I have am curious about bit stream. Normally I will download music that is 320kbps and change them to 192kbps to save space on my iPhone and hard drive but I'm sure there is loss in quality in that (not much but maybe a tad, don't even know if it's noticeable) . So I suppose my question is, if I took a 320kbps song and converted it to 192kbps, can I change it back to 320kbps an not lose any quality? All my songs are 192, if there that much of a difference between 192 and 320, is it even worth the trouble of doing that?
No unfortunately, you can't go back up in quality. All you will end up with is a file that's as big as the 320kbps song but has the sound quality of the 192kbps file or worse. You should always save a backup of every song at the highest bit rate you have, then make copies at the lower bit rates as needed.

To answer your question about whether it's even worth it to bother going back to 320kbps from 192kbps, that's a question only you can answer. Many will tell you that they/we can't tell the difference between the two. They are mostly correct, especially given that our cars are not ideal sound environments. However, where you will undoubtedly notice the difference is at higher volume levels.

I would recommend using the highest bitrate you can and lossless if possible, simply because it's a lot of work to rip cd's and if you go lossless, you only have to do it once. Then maintain a master copy and reencode copies of the songs to whatever bitrate suits your needs.

However, I stopped buying songs online several years ago and have been ordering the cd's on amazon ever since. That way, I've always got the cd and if the worst happens and I lose my media server and the backup copy on my home computer. Interestingly, I often find the cd is actually cheaper than the mp3 album on amazon.

Last edited by acruxksa; 12-01-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by acruxksa
No unfortunately, you can't go back up in quality. All you will end up with is a file that's as big as the 320kbps song but has the sound quality of the 192kbps file or worse. You should always save a backup of every song at the highest bit rate you have, then make copies at the lower bit rates as needed.

To answer your question about whether it's even worth it to bother going back to 320kbps from 192kbps, that's a question only you can answer. Many will tell you that they/we can't tell the difference between the two. They are mostly correct, especially given that our cars are not ideal sound environments. However, where you will undoubtedly notice the difference is at higher volume levels.

I would recommend using the highest bitrate you can and lossless if possible, simply because it's a lot of work to rip cd's and if you go lossless, you only have to do it once. Then maintain a master copy and reencode copies of the songs to whatever bitrate suits your needs.

However, I stopped buying songs online several years ago and have been ordering the cd's on amazon ever since. That way, I've always got the cd and if the worst happens and I lose my media server and the backup copy on my home computer. Interestingly, I often find the cd is actually cheaper than the mp3 album on amazon.
I may just move forward with new music at 320kbps, can't change the past. As you said, in a car or my iPhone I really won't be able to hear a difference, those are the medium's I listen to my music anyways so no matter. Thanks for the information!
Old 12-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use an audio container and codec (such as MP3 with LAME) that supports variable bit rate (VBR) and convert them to that. Will compress a 320kbps without losing any noticeable quality if done correctly.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I'm still experiencing wrong cover art every now and again despite the mp3 actually having the right cover art. As you can see below the song "No" has cover art for the song "Better" but when the actual MP3 file is looked at is has the correct cover art. Very strange.

Right song wrong cover art

What the cover art should be

Cover art used from the wrong song same artist.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm still experiencing wrong cover art every now and again despite the mp3 actually having the right cover art. As you can see below the song "No" has cover art for the song "Better" but when the actual MP3 file is looked at is has the correct cover art. Very strange.

Right song wrong cover art

What the cover art should be

Cover art used from the wrong song same artist.
Do you have the gracetone album art selected on the MMI? Just right click from that screen and you should see the setting.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you have the gracetone album art selected on the MMI? Just right click from that screen and you should see the setting.
I do, I unchecked that and it still showed however I was in mid song when I tried it. The cover art is being pulled from what's in the file not what is in gracetone I think. As the picture shows I have a made up album name for that. Also I have an Eminem song with a custom cover art and it shows the custom cover art, that's where I draw the conclusion that it's being pulled from the file and not gracenote.

I'll do some more exploring on this issue. Just curious if I was the only one. Those songs are pulled from a playlist, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I have 3 of her songs with different cover art but all showing one cover art in the MMI. Very weird. I'll try playing it from the album name or artist name and see if it does the same thing. As I said I wonder if it being played out of a playlist has anything to do with it. Troubleshooting...FUN, how I want to spend my weekend.

Last edited by Strife1013; 12-02-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by acruxksa
Anyone found a quick way to jump through the list? With several hundred artists, it takes me quite a bit of scrolling to get to the end of the list?
I don't know of a way to jump directly to the end of the list. My artists list has almost 300 entries, so I've started using the touch pad to search for the artist I want if it's more than a few turns of the wheel down.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just as a PSA. You can export playlists from iTunes to SD card for playing using the playlist menu in the MMI. Below is a link for Mac users on what the process is like. For PC users it should be the same but the save part in step 7 should not be needed as the txt should already be formatted for CRLF. As such Windows users can use whichever text editor it includes. For Mac users though you need to get a program that allows to change the format of the line breaks. I used the Text Wrangler app and it worked like a charm.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...s-mac-2838623/
I struggled with playlists on my SD card for the past few days, and finally found my issue. On my B9 allroad (SW version 0918) it doesn't like the leading slash. As soon as I removed the leading slash in the path everything was good. I love this SD card functionality - now I only use my phone for podcasts.

For clarity:

This format gives me an error:
#EXTINF:226,Rock 'N' Roll Is King - Electric Light Orchestra
\Music\Electric Light Orchestra\Secret Messages\10 Rock 'N' Roll Is King.m4a

But format worked fine:
#EXTINF:226,Rock 'N' Roll Is King - Electric Light Orchestra
Music\Electric Light Orchestra\Secret Messages\10 Rock 'N' Roll Is King.m4a