A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Buying 2018 A4 Premium Plus - Former Silvecar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vandelay
No, i actually like silver. It’s just you never know if the rental history shows up in the Carfax. I would personally not buy a former rental due to uncertain service history and possible abuse at the hands of the renter.
The latter is a concern. The CARFAX shows 10,000 mile service at an Audi Dealer, tire rotation, etc. I assume that Silvercar, being owned by Audi and renting Audi’s, has an interest in providing a positive Audi experience.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the price is on the higher end also. Should be able to do better. Check Cargurus etc.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Flyguy31
I think the price is on the higher end also. Should be able to do better. Check Cargurus etc.
Not sure about that. A 2018 A4 Premium Plus at $31K isn't really that easy to come by, particularly withing 200 miles of where I'm at. Oddly, my actual target vehicle showed up on Car Guru listed as a "great deal!" Most similarly equipped 2018's at that mileage are $32-$34K as personal use or off lease. And there are none of those within 150 miles of me.

That said, I do hear the concerns over a former rental. I was hoping that being a Silvercar program car might make it more palatable, being Audi owned and an all Audi fleet. Not really sure what I'll do. Fortunately, it's Sunday so I can't do anything except fire up iRacing.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Silvercar is owned by Audi USA? Not sure I recall that. If true, you're probably OK on normal warranty coverage.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Silvercar is owned by Audi USA? Not sure I recall that. If true, you're probably OK on normal warranty coverage.
They acquired silvercar but only recently...maybe within the last year. Before that it was not affiliated with Audi. They just did a ton of business and I think had special specifications for their fleet.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yes. Audi purchased Silvercar in 2017, maybe? It's actually called Silvercar by Audi today.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...apid=182489528

That's what made me consider that a former Silvercar rental might be a viable option, vs some other rental companies since they are dealing strictly with a limited number of Audi models and presumable have a standard service schedule for these cars. And being owned by Audi they have a vested interest in keeping these cars in good shape, or so I'd guess.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

On the plus side it is extremely unlikely that it has been modified or tuned. That is a big plus. It has also probably had regular maintenance. If it still had factory warranty and the price was right it could be ok.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

If you have a Silvercar location near you stop by and pay them a visit and talk to the manager. Ask him about how the cars are treated and maintained. Take a look at a few on the lot. I have rented from them a few times and the cars have been in quite good shape and they are well equipped PP models with the Technology package so you get NAV and the Virtual Cockpit. They have the standards seats (no sport seats) and standard suspensions, 18” wheels. My preference would be to get one just before the 20k service so you can purchase Audi Care. This is right on the cusp so maybe you still could. That would cover the expensive transmission service at 40k.

Last edited by SchwarzS6; 06-23-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Are you buying from an Audi dealer? If so they can tell you where the car was originally sold (to a dealer or fleet company).
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 261 Likes on 200 Posts

A Carfax report includes Ownership history, including "Type of Owner", length of ownership, location, etc. Mine all say "Personal", but I would hope it would indicate commercial ownership. It also reports where it was sold, where it was registered, title numbers, where maintenance was performed, mileage at each sale/registration/inspection, etc., etc. A worthwhile $40 if you're not sure.

Have you asked the seller to confirm the ownership history, looked at the title/transfer documents, etc.?

Fwiw, I think the pricing is fine. $48K original indicates a few option packages. Having spent nearly a year searching and researching before I bought mine, I find many of the "you should pay $x" suggestions here to be out of touch with reality. $32K would be an OK price from a private party and a pretty good price from a reputable dealer that has inspected/serviced and would stand behind the sale.

Last edited by PghRich; 06-23-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying 2018 A4 Premium Plus - Former Silvecar?