A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Can use Mid-Grade in 2017 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:50 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

There was a fellow in another thread whose neighbour had major engine problems with an Audi and they refused to cover it under warranty because he was running 87 gas.

Honestly, I don't understand the 'run 87' crowd. You're buying a ~$50K European car with a turbo engine that has been engineered to run on 91 octane. If you want a car that runs on regular gas, go and buy a Hyundai Sonata. Don't get cute with your interpretation of the manual - "the engine will not blow up because our sophisticated computers will adjust things if you are forced to put 87 octane in our car" is VERY different than "we engineered this thing to run on 87." If this car was designed to run on 87, it wouldn't have a sticker in the fuel door saying 91!!!
Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I can't even buy fuel above 89 octane locally. I literally have to drive 20 miles out of my way to find higher octane blends. That said, almost all cars here are running 87 or 89 with ethanol exclusively. As you can imagine, all of the cars run just fine. A slight degradation in power and fuel economy is possible, but probably not noticeable in the real world for the average driver. Those people that say they can tell the difference in performance based off of what station they fill up at with a certain octane.....I'm highly skeptical of you. I'm a pretty big gear head, and the last 5 cars have had turbos (and some very high-performance) and I never could tell one ounce of power difference when running 87 or 93 and never any noticeable change in fuel economy. A million factors might dictate this, but it's safe to say the "average driver" would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Some motors are clearly more sensitive to this, but I don't think that VWs run of the mill 2.0T cares two hoots whats in it.

My sister that knows nothing about cars has used 87 in her VW Tiguan 2.0T and can tell. She told me she has used it a few times to try and save money but it becomes sluggish feels loss of power and it just doesn't run right in her own words.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tommoran2
This is a new car I will be picking up soon. Dlr said mid-grade is OK.
The "dealer" said mid-grade is OK?

Who, exactly, is "the dealer?"

The current and former service manager at my Audi dealer (been buying cars from the same dealer since 1977) summed up the gasoline issue by saying:

Using fuel other than the "premium" fuel the car was engineered to use, is a false economy.

Using a lower grade lowers the power and torque.

Drivers sensing the lower power and torque, in conjunction with the engine management's self-preservation mode will essentially use more fuel when the grade is below optimal.

What "dealer" would ever suggest using fuel of a lower grade than the car was engineered to use? Do you mean the "sales rep" told you it would be OK to use mid-grade?

I can only imagine this "dealer" was well-intentioned, perhaps wanting to make you "feel better" by suggesting that your Audi would cost less to run via the use of cheaper gas.

You were not done any favor by being told something that is likely to actually cost you more and decrease your enjoyment of the car.

The A4 needs 91 (or 93, which is what we have for the most part here in Ohio) -- it also will give you a more trouble free life if you use Top-tier gas (BP, Costco, Shell, and many more). Costco doesn't even offer mid-grade (which is really just a mixture of regular and premium).

Your "dealer" needs some product education -- and needs to send the sales staff to the education, too.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

These regular vs. premium and mid-grade vs. premium go on all the time, everywhere, with no resolution. In the end, it's up to the individual driver what they want to use. Read the manual and/or the info on the fuel door and make your decision.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
These regular vs. premium and mid-grade vs. premium go on all the time, everywhere, with no resolution. In the end, it's up to the individual driver what they want to use. Read the manual and/or the info on the fuel door and make your decision.
+1
Old 04-06-2017, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Times like this, i'm glad the minimum RON in most of Europe is 95.

Despite that, i still use 2 tanks of Vpower (100) after every 2 tanks of regular (95).

Even diesel requires a minimum cetane level of 51 here, and the premium stuff is usually around 60. In the US, the minimum is around 40, and its rare to find any above 43.

Im surprised the RON/Cetane requirement in the US is so low, to be honest. Anyone know why?

Edit: Seems California requires minimum 53 and parts of Texas require minimum 48.

Last edited by j2488; 04-06-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why I asked the ?. It seemed odd that he said they fill all there Audi's with mid grade on delivery. This is a dealer in Mid Michigan.

I actually just bought the A4 from another dlr in Ann Arbor MI and will be picking it up tomorrow

I will be using either Shell or BP gas (both 91 octane here in MI). Not decided yet which to use though. Prob will come down to there incentives on there CC for gas purchases.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:02 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by j2488
Times like this, i'm glad the minimum RON in most of Europe is 95.

Despite that, i still use 2 tanks of Vpower (100) after every 2 tanks of regular (95).

Even diesel requires a minimum cetane level of 51 here, and the premium stuff is usually around 60. In the US, the minimum is around 40, and its rare to find any above 43.

Im surprised the RON/Cetane requirement in the US is so low, to be honest. Anyone know why?

Edit: Seems California requires minimum 53 and parts of Texas require minimum 48.
Keep in mind that the units are different. North American octane is AKI, not RON, and 91 AKI is 95 RON. So yes, compared to Europe with 95/98 RON, North America's 87/89/91 AKI is a little lower... but not as much as it looks.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tommoran2
This is a new car I will be picking up soon. Dlr said mid-grade is OK.
Very simply just use what the fuel lid reads unless your running out and there is nothing else available. Don't be cheap. Ask your service advisor or any technician and they will agree 100%.

Last edited by jorgecopa; 04-06-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VM
There was a fellow in another thread whose neighbour had major engine problems with an Audi and they refused to cover it under warranty because he was running 87 gas.

Honestly, I don't understand the 'run 87' crowd. You're buying a ~$50K European car with a turbo engine that has been engineered to run on 91 octane. If you want a car that runs on regular gas, go and buy a Hyundai Sonata. Don't get cute with your interpretation of the manual - "the engine will not blow up because our sophisticated computers will adjust things if you are forced to put 87 octane in our car" is VERY different than "we engineered this thing to run on 87." If this car was designed to run on 87, it wouldn't have a sticker in the fuel door saying 91!!!
Agree 100% nicely said!