A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Canadian A4/Allroad buying experience/discounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 04:01 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsidian3K
Again based on my experience with Japanese manufacturers, I assume that the financing rates advertised by Audi Canada are what's available from the dealerships. For the 2017 A4, financing is 1.9%; the 2017 Allroad and 2018 Q5 are both still 3.9%, which appears to be Audi Canada's ceiling. Comparatively, Mercedes' C-class and the various 3/4-series BMWs are all being offered at 0.9%.
Yup, but fundamentally, financing rates are about moving inventory. As you know from my PM, I checked most dealers in Ontario with inventory posted on their web site - they have maybe 0-4 Allroads vs 20-40 A4s. There's no need to offer a lower rate if that's how few cars you have sitting around in May. (The Q5 is a 2018 so the rates should be higher even if inventory is not as scarce)

I don't know if this is true nowadays, but back when BMW still made 3 series coupes, they had much higher interest rates than similar 3 series sedans. Why? I presume there are nearly no coupes in inventory and they'd be custom ordered by enthusiasts...

Originally Posted by Obsidian3K
I'm in no rush, but perhaps it's time for me to at least go visit a dealer, decide on the options I want, and ask questions about things like Audi Exclusive and how incentives work with factory-ordered cars (do incentives valid at time of order apply, or those at time of delivery?).
I can answer the question in the brackets. In Canada (this is apparently not true for our American friends), assuming the car turns up within a specified period (I want to say 3 full calendar months and whatever is left of the month you placed the order in? but I don't remember), you get either the incentives at the time of order or the incentives at the time of delivery, whichever are better.

Now, since an Audi Exclusive colour takes longer to build... hmmm... that might push you outside that time window.

Last edited by VM; 05-17-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Get the report from carcostcanada.com. Markup on Audis is about 8-9%.

Freight and PDI is legit, but I think that different dealers charge a different amount for PDI. Freight is set by the manufacturer...
Thank you.

Dealers in Atlantic Canada charge $2100 for freight and PDI. How does that compare with elsewhere in Canada?

Interestingly, it's about 3 miles to the dealer from the dock where the cars are unloaded off the ship from the port of export.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roger_1
Thank you.

Dealers in Atlantic Canada charge $2100 for freight and PDI. How does that compare with elsewhere in Canada?

Interestingly, it's about 3 miles to the dealer from the dock where the cars are unloaded off the ship from the port of export.
$2,095 in Toronto
Old 05-17-2017, 01:48 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Edelwild
$2,095 in Toronto
Wouldn't surprise me if some of the Toronto dealers were more...
Old 05-17-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by roger_1
Thank you.

$2,095.00 in Edmonton as well.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Freight & PDI costs are set by most (possibly all) manufacturers. They can vary from model to model or province to province, but for a given car in a given province, freight & PDI is fixed. Audi actually makes this easy; every vehicle they sell in Canada costs $2,095 in freight & PDI in all provinces and territories, with the exception of the R8, which costs $2,895 in all locations.

Dealers may charge additional PDI fees, but they're already being paid by Audi for that work, so as with any other non-governmental fees, this should be seen as neither more nor less than part of the dealer's profit margin.

VM: Thanks for the information on incentives and ordering.

Thanks also to everyone who has contributed information so far. I find it all very helpful, and hopefully other prospective Audi customers will too!
Old 08-03-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I finally decided that it was time to make an initial visit to my local Audi dealership. I was surprised to discover that they had 3 Allroads sitting on the lot, one of which was already sold, but otherwise nearly identical to the car I've specced out (Scuba Blue Teknik, all packages--including the Sport Package I don't want--HUD, but no adaptive suspension). There was also a Sepang Blue RS7 on the lot. I do love that color, I'm just on the fence about whether I love it $3,000 worth.

I drove a Progressiv A4 sedan; the sales guy wanted to avoid putting too many miles on their Progressiv Allroad, and since I really just wanted to experience the comfort suspension, ventilated sport seats, and 2.0TFSI, a demo sedan was fine. I definitely enjoyed the drive, but will need a longer one at some point; I like to test drive my usual daily commute due to familiarity.

The sales guy seemed pretty disappointed that there was nothing he could do to lock in a purchase today; since the Allroad virtually never has any incentives (either cash or lower interest rates), I love my Mazda, and my wife's Hyundai is--at least for the moment--behaving itself, there really wasn't any way for him to create a sense of urgency. He did at least have me check out an A5 Sportback, which I did like, but not nearly as much as the Allroad.

There are basically 3 things holding me back at this point:
1) The lack of Matrix headlights
2) The inability to project Android Auto navigation onto either the VC or the HUD
3) The lack of incentives

1 and 2 I'll either have to accept--and I've discovered that I'm a lot less tolerant of silly shortcomings on a $60K car than I am in the $30K bracket--or wait and see what the B9.5 brings. 3 I totally understand the economic justification for, but behavioral economics means that a $3-$5K incentive on sedans and a big goose egg for wagons, to quote the younger generation, #feelsbadman
Old 09-19-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bumping this thread up to get fresh data from anyone who has bought in the past few months and is willing to share.

If you can specify what month you bought and which model year, that will help fellow members figure out how likely they are to get the same deal on a different model year (i.e. MY17 July clearout deals will probably be better than MY18 early deals)
Old 09-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

1) Downtown Toronto
2) Generally pretty good. I spent an entire morning test driving the A4 and then various other models to test out various options (they didn't have a A4 full optioned) such as HUD, Traffic Jam Assist. I ended up locking in the purchase that same visit to the dealership
3) 2017 Audi A4 Technik with a couple of cosmetic options (color, dash trim)
4) ~11% including the $1500 credit Audi was offered.
5) Only taken it in for 1st service. Overall service wasn't poor but had an issue that forced me to return to rectify.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CDNAudi_B9
1) Downtown Toronto
2) Generally pretty good. I spent an entire morning test driving the A4 and then various other models to test out various options (they didn't have a A4 full optioned) such as HUD, Traffic Jam Assist. I ended up locking in the purchase that same visit to the dealership
3) 2017 Audi A4 Technik with a couple of cosmetic options (color, dash trim)
4) ~11% including the $1500 credit Audi was offered.
5) Only taken it in for 1st service. Overall service wasn't poor but had an issue that forced me to return to rectify.
Is that discount just on the car/options, or does it include extended warranty, accessories, etc.?

Margin on the A4/Allroad is universally reported to be 8%, so if you did 11% including that Audi Canada incentive, then you got the car at (or slightly below) invoice, which is a great deal!

Quick Reply: Canadian A4/Allroad buying experience/discounts