A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Complete guide of speakers in the B9 B&O system

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I think your dealer has not just replaced the speaker but also updated the software. Too many people are reporting the sound has gotten duller after the software update. Audi seems to have equalised the sound to save the horrible speakers they installed in the car.
interesting to hear that software updates change the tone, was it a specific update to the eq or crossovers?
I just feel that centre speaker output is way less than before Even when the focus is selected at front, it’s like the centre mid drivers movement is constrained.
could it be that the speaker was bolted too tightly?

Old 05-31-2022, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by Spawn160
interesting to hear that software updates change the tone, was it a specific update to the eq or crossovers?
I just feel that centre speaker output is way less than before Even when the focus is selected at front, it’s like the centre mid drivers movement is constrained.
could it be that the speaker was bolted too tightly?
I know it's counter intuitive, speakers sound better when bolted down well. So it's not that.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I know it's counter intuitive, speakers sound better when bolted down well. So it's not that.
thanks for the reply Bruce,
the midrange from the centre speaker definitely sounds weaker and thinner than before, throwing off the whole sound stage compared to the rest of the speakers.
any ideas what’s causing this?
Also I’m trying to pry the whole grill out along with air vent but only managed to get speaker grill out, any idea if the design for 2021 grill is different from previous models?( following the instructions on this forum)

Last edited by Spawn160; 05-31-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The speaker frame looks like this
Old 05-31-2022, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ok so shifting the balance/fader to a little behind the seats seems to have improved the mid range.

Last edited by Spawn160; 05-31-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok so shifting the balance/fader to a little behind the seats seems to have improved the mid range.
I'm getting a way more pleasant, balanced sound and less overwhelmed highs by setting the fader as this:

Old 06-01-2022, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think your dealer has not just replaced the speaker but also updated the software. Too many people are reporting the sound has gotten duller after the software update. Audi seems to have equalised the sound to save the horrible speakers they installed in the car.
Is there any way to revert back to the old software?
the system sounds really dull, I remember there was a decent amount of sparkle before.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Usually the dealer won't downgrade the software, but it's not unheard of. A lot of it depends on why they did the upgrade in the first place.

I also have my fader set slightly to the rear even with upgraded speakers.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
Usually the dealer won't downgrade the software, but it's not unheard of. A lot of it depends on why they did the upgrade in the first place.

I also have my fader set slightly to the rear even with upgraded speakers.
I didn’t see anything on the work sheet about a software upgrade, so I’m not sure if they did.
One more possibility I can think of is speaker polarity.
Is there a way to check that the speakers are connected properly through a scanner?

Old 06-03-2022, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I didn’t see anything on the work sheet about a software upgrade, so I’m not sure if they did.
One more possibility I can think of is speaker polarity.
Is there a way to check that the speakers are connected properly through a scanner?
Yes there are apps you can install on your phone that play test tones and indicate polarity. Note if this is a factory speaker, the connectors are keyed so it's only possible to be reverse polarity if the speaker factory built it wrong.

Quick Reply: Complete guide of speakers in the B9 B&O system