A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Dash Cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks @bigHUN...I am torn between the Thinkware F770, F800PRO and the Blackvue DR590W. Leaning towards the Thinkware but still haven't made up my mind. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts my friend!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can anyone share how you can best pick up constant power, accessory power and ground up by the rearview mirror?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by securityguy
Can anyone share how you can best pick up constant power, accessory power and ground up by the rearview mirror?
There is a previous thread for DIY dash cam installations. If you want, check out my post for my dash cam installation, tapping off the mirror power. Maybe that will help. I actually used a radar dectector cord with taps. I used the connector right above the mirror, as opposed to using the wires on the right. I swiveled the connector down a bit and tapped into the yellow and brown. Took a while the get the taps in. I think the trick was to go behind the wire in the connector. Originally I was trying to go in front and slide the tap in. But it may be different for you.

Hopefully this is the correct link. It's post 16 in the thread, and there are pictures.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2903447/page2/

Hope it helps.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Cornell92, and I was going to use the mirror route for my Uniden R3, but I need both constant and accessory power for my camera and have to route the cable to the fuse box for power and hoping someone has done the same and has a few pointers.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ordered the new Blackvue DR750S with the polarizing filter and the Celllink B version 2 battery back-up today. Spent all weekend researching and watching YouTube videos. Should be here by next week so I can plan the install that following weekend.

Bought from www.blackboxmycar.com Very well regarded and received a $25 coupon code off of my Blackvue camera after calling in for technical advice
Old 03-20-2018, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Thinkware F50 that I bought for about $129.99CAD and ended up buying the hardwire kit for it as well. I think the hardwire kit was about $30. I did the install myself and tucked the wiring in at the headliner and down the A pillar on the drivers side all the way to the fuse panel in drivers foot rest. The whole install took me about 30 minutes and all I needed was a simple trim tool and a test light. When I first wired the ignition power source wire I didn't realise that I had used the ignition coil fuse and when I went to start the car after the install all it did was crank over, but didn't start. I ended up changing where I had the ignition power source wired to, but I don't recall which fuse slots I used.

I will always have a dash cam in every car from now on. Best $160 I've spent. Had an accident in my 2016 A4 where the lady in front of me slammed on her brakes while I was doing a shoulder check. She came to a complete stop and I didn't even have a chance to react before slamming into the passenger side rear of her Kia Sorento. I had just started to change lanes when I hit her. After being placed at fault first I looked at my dash cam footage and noticed that there was no vehicle in front of her, nor was there any object or person that went in front of her causing her to slam on her brakes. The cop reversed the charges after looking at the footage and charged her instead. In her statement to the cops she also talked about suing me because of the accident, so it seemed more likely that it was insurance fraud. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when she was given the ticket for the accident after she thought she was in the clear...
Old 03-21-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Qvia AR790, hardwired to the fuses left of the dash (not the dead pedal fuse box). You can get constant and accessory power there. I used this to tap-
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am looking forward to seeing an Owl install and review from an A4 owner...
Old 03-22-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tom Gilkeson
I am looking forward to seeing an Owl install and review from an A4 owner...
I wouldn't bother with the OWL. Watch the videos they have online. It plugs into an adapter that attaches to your OBD port...not ideal. Also sits right on top of the dash in plain view and is an easy target for theft. Not a great idea IMPO. Much better options out there like Blackvue and Thinkware that cost less.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed the Blackvue DR750S, very nice camera and easy install ising the power magic pro.

Collision detection seems too sensitive even at the lowest settings so that's shut off for now.

Wondering if there is a way to leave the Audi wifi hotspot on after locking the car?

Quick Reply: Dash Cams